I guess this would be considered newbie help. please read.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=63273

johnnymurder

28-05-2007 22:26:27

This could be kinda long and drawn out, sorry, but here it goes.
btw, i have searched this forum for my answer, but, i didnt see it. so if this question has already been asked and answer, I apologize liBut i don't think it hasli

I come to you, as a scammer. yuhup. I admit it. No, im not ripping people off for referalls or anything like that. but i have scammed a certain rewards based website.

I got the idea one day. Of buying a pre-paid gift card from my mall (its basically just a pre-paid credit card)

So i went to the site. And it offered either referals or points. and I chose points. Now, basically, i put in all my real info, but, when i signed up for offers liie, video professorli I would put in a fake name, fake address, And the pre-paid credit card #.

The main reason I did this, was, i didnt want to be charged if i did cancel my trial or send back the product. Ie, there gonna charge that prepaid card 40 bux for something, but by that time, the pre-paid card would be depleted, and it was also anonymously bought. so no tracing back to me. liexcept i guess if they REALLY wanted to hunt me down they could get my ip and subpena my records, but i assumed that was highly unlikely.li

About a week later. I had enough for my gift. And i opted out for the cash equivalant. And Low and behold. 3 days later. I had a whopping 500 bux paypal'd to me. I was excited. I had spent around 60 bux for the offers, and made 500 bux. Happy little me.

I wanted to do it again. As i was greedy. but luckely, i got scared. I got scared that technically what i was doing, was fraud. Anytime you insert someone elses name as your own lifictional or notli to decieve either a person or company. thats fraud. Credit card fraud, and mail fraud. I slowly began relizing what i COULD eventually get in trouble with. So I didnt act on any impulses. altho to be honest with you, it was hard.

Now onto the question part of this story ) I want to do another offer. I want to do it 100% legit. But, i still would like to use the pre-paid credit card. main reason is I dont trust my real account information floating around the internet. and to be honest, some of these offers can at times be shady.

My question is, lets say I sign up for X offer. X offer is a free trial for 5.95 shipping and handling. To cancel X offer, call and cancel. So lets say I Do all that. And they still Charge me. Now because Im using a pre-paid credit card, if they try charging me, the funds will most likely not be there. So Do i Owe them money now? Can they start billing me for something like this any other way than my Credit card? Can this affect my credit?

If anyone has the answers, id much very like to hear. or even if there just opinions.

Scammer gone good.
Johnny Murder

moviemadnessman

28-05-2007 22:42:53

If you don't pay, it is fraud. And they can act, so if you don't have the funds to pay them, then they could come after you for the money.

Plus, if you use the same card, then there is the possibility that your previous frauds will be caught as well.

gambit00x

28-05-2007 23:10:31

Retrace your steps and pay the people you need to pay. As m.m.m said
they'll come after you. Also you can't really expect to be successful if you've shortchanged people along the way.

johnnymurder

28-05-2007 23:47:46

Good Advice. Thanks Guys.

tylerc

29-05-2007 04:19:09

[quote5133452112="johnnymurder"]This could be kinda long and drawn out, sorry, but here it goes.
btw, i have searched this forum for my answer, but, i didnt see it. so if this question has already been asked and answer, I apologize liBut i don't think it hasli

I come to you, as a scammer. yuhup. I admit it. No, im not ripping people off for referalls or anything like that. but i have scammed a certain rewards based website.

I got the idea one day. Of buying a pre-paid gift card from my mall (its basically just a pre-paid credit card)

So i went to the site. And it offered either referals or points. and I chose points. Now, basically, i put in all my real info, but, when i signed up for offers liie, video professorli I would put in a fake name, fake address, And the pre-paid credit card #.

The main reason I did this, was, i didnt want to be charged if i did cancel my trial or send back the product. Ie, there gonna charge that prepaid card 40 bux for something, but by that time, the pre-paid card would be depleted, and it was also anonymously bought. so no tracing back to me. liexcept i guess if they REALLY wanted to hunt me down they could get my ip and subpena my records, but i assumed that was highly unlikely.li

About a week later. I had enough for my gift. And i opted out for the cash equivalant. And Low and behold. 3 days later. I had a whopping 500 bux paypal'd to me. I was excited. I had spent around 60 bux for the offers, and made 500 bux. Happy little me.

I wanted to do it again. As i was greedy. but luckely, i got scared. I got scared that technically what i was doing, was fraud. Anytime you insert someone elses name as your own lifictional or notli to decieve either a person or company. thats fraud. Credit card fraud, and mail fraud. I slowly began relizing what i COULD eventually get in trouble with. So I didnt act on any impulses. altho to be honest with you, it was hard.

Now onto the question part of this story ) I want to do another offer. I want to do it 100% legit. But, i still would like to use the pre-paid credit card. main reason is I dont trust my real account information floating around the internet. and to be honest, some of these offers can at times be shady.

My question is, lets say I sign up for X offer. X offer is a free trial for 5.95 shipping and handling. To cancel X offer, call and cancel. So lets say I Do all that. And they still Charge me. Now because Im using a pre-paid credit card, if they try charging me, the funds will most likely not be there. So Do i Owe them money now? Can they start billing me for something like this any other way than my Credit card? Can this affect my credit?

If anyone has the answers, id much very like to hear. or even if there just opinions.

Scammer gone good.
Johnny Murder[/quote5133452112]

You're kidding, right?

alan4561

29-05-2007 05:50:35

I've PMed you on this one.

skepticalcynic

29-05-2007 07:27:41

I've found it better to use my actual credit card. I have been wrongly charged, just recently in fact, by a particular company. I gave my credit card company all the info and they are handling it for me. Credit card companies want to make money from you - but MOST of them also have protections in place to keep you from getting scammed. I have one credit card with a reasonably low limit that I use for online transactions. At any time I can put a security hold on the card and/or request a new number and card if the info gets stolen.

Having said all that...
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS pay people/companies what you owe them!

Saccerdude24

29-05-2007 09:39:17

[quotec45f8edfd9="skepticalcynic"]ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS pay people/companies what you owe them![/quotec45f8edfd9]

I completely agree with that... because what I want to know is, how on earth did you get the gift (the $500) from the freebie site unless you gave them your real information? You realize that what's going to happen is that all of those very very angry offer sites are going to go straight to the freebie site from which they know the offers were done (via cookies and links). And once they go there, they are going to have all of your real information readily on hand regardless of the fact that you might have used all fake information with their individual sites. After that happens, they are either going to make you pay what you owe them (which would be the better option), or charge you with fraud and take you to court (the obviously worse option). I would try to make sure that you cancel everything at the right times so that there never are any extra billings so that you avoid that whole dilemna (IE treat it like you DID give them all your real info). Just my 2 cents. D Good luck!

EDIT Let me add to that question at the bottom of your post, if you are 100% sure that you called and cancelled in good time of when the offer was supposed to start billing you (ALWAYS read through T&C of every website, may seem tedious but worth it IMHO), then they billed you incorrectly, and you can dispute the charges.