amazon mispricings

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=62158

chrome89k

14-05-2007 20:03:26

arite... what exactly is the technicalities behind mis pricing.... i mean... amazon mis prices many things all the time... are they really allowed to not sell because they say its a wrong price.... i mean... don't people sue... or take things a bit further to get what they want... last time i checked... that smacks of false advertisement... right?

please post opinions

moviemadnessman

14-05-2007 20:47:53

Can you provide some examples of this? Where they misprice something and it would prompt someone to sue ... ?

dmorris68

14-05-2007 21:02:46

LOL, there are so many myths about this.

In most if not all states, no store is obligated by law to sell you something that is mistakenly priced. It's only illegal if they knowingly advertise a lower price to get you in, then hit you with a higher price (bait & switch and similar tactics). If it's an honest mistake that is corrected once brought to their attention, then they're free to not sell it to you. Virtually all vendors nowadays have fine print in their TOS that says they are not responsible for pricing errors.

That said, limanyli reputable businesses, if the financial loss isn't too great and they risk losing a good customer, will honor the mistaken price before correcting it. It's just good customer service. But you can't expect a company to take a major loss just to save face with you, either.

As a private business owner, I can choose not to sell you something if I want to. You don't have a "right" to buy from me. Now, I may not be able to legally discriminate based on race/relgion/gender/etc., but as long as that isn't my basis, I can choose to sell you something or not.

moviemadnessman

14-05-2007 21:05:05

[quote4581183d3f="dmorris68"]LOL, there are so many myths about this.

In most if not all states, no store is obligated by law to sell you something that is mistakenly priced. It's only illegal if they knowingly advertise a lower price to get you in, then hit you with a higher price (bait & switch and similar tactics). If it's an honest mistake that is corrected once brought to their attention, then they're free to not sell it to you. Virtually all vendors nowadays have fine print in their TOS that says they are not responsible for pricing errors.

That said, limanyli reputable businesses, if the financial loss isn't too great and they risk losing a good customer, will honor the mistaken price before correcting it. It's just good customer service. But you can't expect a company to take a major loss just to save face with you, either.

As a private business owner, I can choose not to sell you something if I want to. You don't have a "right" to buy from me. Now, I may not be able to legally discriminate based on race/relgion/gender/etc., but as long as that isn't my basis, I can choose to sell you something or not.[/quote4581183d3f]...

What is it that you sell, dmorris? I'm interested to know )

dmorris68

14-05-2007 21:13:33

I don't, I was speaking hypothetically. ;)

moviemadnessman

14-05-2007 21:18:20

Awwww ... deny me my right to decide if I want to attempt to buy anything from you ... ?

skepticalcynic

15-05-2007 06:20:43

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, at any time, for any reason"
- very common catch-all disclaimer for all businesses. It's also very useful to protect the business and other patrons from having to put up with bad situations - like serving drunks in a restaurant, as one example...

chrome89k

15-05-2007 11:33:12

arite... good to know... its just so frustrating.. i just bought dirt cheap diamond earing studs and they were recalled because of pricing mistake or w.e ... i guess if it was that big of an issue more people would be hearing about it because there are SO many price mistakes with amazon alone

manOFice

15-05-2007 11:42:16

you don't need no huge rock in your ear anyways =P

chrome89k

15-05-2007 11:56:40

lmao... yea i do... dont u see me avatar... hes got one.. i need one...

well... i have one but its not REAL ... lmao