Strange Error

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61220

BadgerMercantile

02-05-2007 14:14:13

I've been encountering a strange error. If I click on "initiate a trade with this user," the very first thing that happens, right after I click the link, is I receive an error message. It goes a little something like this

"Failed. This can happen for several reasons
- You tried to initiate a trade with yourself
- You included a link in the subject (add it later in the "notes" field)
- Your subject was too short. Make it meaningful."

Mind you this happens just when I click the link. It's the first thing that happens!

A similair thing happens in the trade module when I try to edit paypal or contact information, except it says

"Failed. This happens for a number of reasons. Some of the more common are
-Trade isn't confirmed
-You pressed cancel
-You attempted to edit a variable unassociated with your username."

Again, this happens just when I click the link. I'm not prompted to do anything before this happens!

Also, when I select "request tr," it of course tells me that I will be prompted to enter feedback, yet this never happens. It never gives me a chance to enter feedback!

My only theory on this is that mabye one of my internet security settings is causing this disruption, but I'm really not sure. Any advice on this matter would be more than welcome.

Denise07

02-05-2007 14:29:22

It has something to do with your Internet Explorer and Active X controls. I had the same problem and had to have my husband fix it. I hope that gives you a little help. What Internet Explorer are you running?

BadgerMercantile

02-05-2007 16:11:51

I'm currently running Internet Explorer 7

BadgerMercantile

02-05-2007 16:15:31

I was looking at my Active X controls, and I see some of them are disabled. For my own security, I don't want to just enable everything. Perhaps, your husband would know what exactly I have to enable/disable?

Denise07

02-05-2007 17:54:10

That is the same one I am running. Give me just a little bit and I will let you know what needs to be enabled and disabled.

Denise07

02-05-2007 18:03:34

Okay, do these, then try to set up a trade with me.

Enable "Script Active X controls marked safe for scripting

Disable pop up blocker

Enable Scripting of Java applets

Enable "allow META REFRESH

My husband says this should do it. Let me know

gator1002

03-05-2007 04:49:44

Or you could lower your security setings to med. and make FIPG a trusted site.

BadgerMercantile

03-05-2007 04:52:15

Yep, that seemed to work, Denise. Thank you so much! I gave you a point of karma. ^_^

dmorris68

03-05-2007 06:56:11

FiPG doesn't use any ActiveX controls, nor does we use Java applets. This error is well documented throughout the forums here, and is due to more strict default security settings in IE7 that restricts certain Javascript operations. The proper method to ensure that it's fixed is to do as gator suggested and add FiPG to your trusted sites list, or to lower your overall security a notch.

gator1002

03-05-2007 06:58:39

What would we do without this guy? David if I had half your smarts I would be a richer man.

Denise07

03-05-2007 07:30:56

Glad it worked. Thanks for the karma point.

BadgerMercantile

04-05-2007 14:48:58

Thank you for all the feedback, guys! This problem is now very much taken care of. I'm glad FIPG has such a helpful community.