Paypal - goods or service/other?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61000

skepticalcynic

30-04-2007 08:56:23

When I pay someone via paypal, should I mark the transaction as "goods" or "service/other"? I thought I saw someone recommend somewhere to mark it as "goods", but this seems to me to be a service. So what's the difference? Does it has to do with potential need for a refund? What's the best way to go?

manOFice

30-04-2007 09:00:22

Usually you won't get a refund no matter what. But I put "service" I BELIEVE...it's been awhile.

But word of advice, don't mention "green", "referral" or anything like that in the comments of the paypal transaction.

skepticalcynic

30-04-2007 09:05:29

Thanks. That makes good sense to me. I don't anticipate having any problems at this point since I'm only paying after approval, but I wasn't sure.

stueybaby17

30-04-2007 09:15:15

I always mark service. But many people mark it as goods because if there are problems you are more likely to get a refund if it is marked as goods.

I've never had any experience with this myself but that is what I have been told about getting a refund.

I did however open a dispute for a refund of a service, but I was able to deal with the person and get a refund before having to escalate to a claim.

patrick_7412

30-04-2007 10:30:21

I mark it as goods, and just say I haven't received XXXX and I have tried to contact them prior.

Works for me 80%+ of the time, considering most scammers don't even respond.

Margot530

30-04-2007 10:59:23

Hi there,

Both stuey and patrick are right, your chances are better at getting paypal to back you if you put goods. You wont get much back after fees and so on, but something is better than nothing wink

Margot D

condra

30-04-2007 12:51:17

hmm....that IS considered fraud, if you get caught by paypal you know...

frediggy

30-04-2007 13:16:36

[quote4a8e07e92f="O4F-Manofice"]Usually you won't get a refund no matter what. But I put "service" I BELIEVE...it's been awhile.

But word of advice, don't mention "green", "referral" or anything like that in the comments of the paypal transaction.[/quote4a8e07e92f]

It is a service. I always put "thanks for the green on xxxxxxx site." Is there any reason why we should not put greens or referrals in the comments?

gmario

30-04-2007 13:32:38

If your putting good's make sure you have a tracking number wink might come in handy for future reference.

Margot530

01-05-2007 05:46:37

It is a service. I always put "thanks for the green on xxxxxxx site." Is there any reason why we should not put greens or referrals in the comments?

Quote from above^^

I believe that paypal frowns on using their services for freebie sites...doesn't mean it's illegal; and can cause issues to arise if you try to open a claim against someone. So avoid using statements like "thanks for the green."

I'm on the fence in regards to the fraud issue, and would really like to hear from someone who was actually accused of it by paypal... It would be great to clear that up!

Thanks,

Margot wink

manOFice

01-05-2007 08:11:39

[quotef775e1822b="Margot530"]It is a service. I always put "thanks for the green on xxxxxxx site." Is there any reason why we should not put greens or referrals in the comments?

Quote from above^^

I believe that paypal frowns on using their services for freebie sites...doesn't mean it's illegal; and can cause issues to arise if you try to open a claim against someone. So avoid using statements like "thanks for the green."

I'm on the fence in regards to the fraud issue, and would really like to hear from someone who was actually accused of it by paypal... It would be great to clear that up!

Thanks,

Margot wink[/quotef775e1822b]

I just say don't put that stuff in the description cuz I've read about people being limited because of it in the past.