proxy test

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=59054

domainer

07-04-2007 17:36:16

This is mainly some advice for newbies.
idea As you read post, tutorials, and get involved in trades.
You will hear a lot about "make sure you are not using a proxy"- such as AOL and others.

Well here is a link that you can click on and run a test to see if you are using a proxy

Click here to see if you are using a proxy
http//www.lagado.com/proxy-test

Karma points for this one please )

Margot530

07-04-2007 21:43:51

Thanks so much for that info!

I'm not on a proxy, but shows I'm connected through a Dallas server....not good! I'm working a trade with a gal outa Dallas, and my IP changes all the time. Will help me give a heads up to my sites and let them sort it out....very helpful info, and I did give you a karma lol

Happy Easter,

Margot 8)

dmorris68

10-04-2007 20:29:20

Not entirely accurate though, or should I say potentially confusing to someone that doesn't know how to read it. That's why I always say that site owners (or one of their staff) should have a working knowledge of TCP/IP and HTTP so that they can reliably interpret the results.

My case is a classic example My home internet connection goes through my Linux firewall/gateway/Squid cache box, so this site thinks I'm coming from a proxy. However it's obvious to anyone "in the know" that my proxy server address is actually my WAN address and that my local client IP is a local 192.168.li.li address, and therefore I'm not behind an liinternetli proxy. But if you took the report at face value and didn't know better, you'd think I was coming from a proxy. Which is technically correct, however it isn't the type of proxy that would cause a concern to a freebie site.

There are many legitimate types and reasons for proxies, which is why discretion and prudence must be given when judging a user's origin.

FWIW I've joined and completed many freebie sites, both DIY and referral, without issue so I would venture a guess that most scripts are intelligent enough to recognize a scenario like mine and not flag it as suspicious. Still, you want to be careful about using a generic "proxy check" like this to make categorical proxy judgments. Now if both the local client IP as reported by the HTTP headers and the remote IP address are both different AND public IP addresses, then that would strongly suggest the user was going through an external, internet proxy. However, though highly improbable, it isn't impossible for even this to be a legitimate scenario.

domainer

10-04-2007 20:52:33

dmorris,

Very informative.

Can I quote that and edit it into my post?

dmorris68

10-04-2007 21:05:24

[quote58160d99b6="domainer"]dmorris,

Very informative.

Can I quote that and edit it into my post?[/quote58160d99b6]
Well, I don't care, but I really don't see the need to edit it into your post when it's already posted in your topic. ?

skepticalcynic

20-04-2007 09:01:19

Thank you - I've been wondering about my ISP and so I searched for this topic and it was exactly the info I needed. -)