College Dorm IP Addresses

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=56099

ghstlegacy17

07-03-2007 16:52:38

Does anyone know if one's ip address within a dorm room fluctuates from day to day? I've been wanting to do offers from here, without always having to go back home to complete sites but I don't know if each individual dorm room has what is considered a private ip address. I've been keeping track of my ip address for a couple of days now and it hasn't changed but I'm still worried that it might be considered public and thus violate the rules.
If anyone has any insight on this, let me know. Thanks.

moviemadnessman

07-03-2007 16:58:32

I also use a college network, but I haven't logged into my account from anywhere else. I think IP addresses do change from time to time, but I currently haven't found problems with it.

I don't know if it is a problem of simply logging onto your account from a different IP, or if you get in trouble if you do offers from multiple IPs. Because I know that over the summer, I am going to want to do these things, but I also don't want to get in trouble for having a different IP address.

Short answer I haven't had problems, but it could be that I've been lucky.

stueybaby17

07-03-2007 18:22:26

It changes from college to college, but there should be some sort of way for the college to track your IP. Downloading in colleges is a huge problem so most unversities will provide some way to track IP addresses. It might be 1 IP per room, or per ethernet port. I know at my university (along with many many others) it is per computer. Every computer is registered on the campus network and has its' own IP address.
edit Just wanted to add a little here. Anywhere you plug your computer in on the Universitys network you will have the same IP address.

Every semester they clear the registration and all IPs are redistributed as users re-register. So you dont' have the same IP forever.

moviemadnessman

07-03-2007 18:29:14

[quote534432efea="stueybaby17"]It changes from college to college, but there should be some sort of way for the college to track your IP. Downloading in colleges is a huge problem so most unversities will provide some way to track IP addresses. It might be 1 IP per room, or per ethernet port. I know at my university (along with many many others) it is per computer. Every computer is registered on the campus network and has its' own IP address.
edit Just wanted to add a little here. Anywhere you plug your computer in on the Universitys network you will have the same IP address.

Every semester they clear the registration and all IPs are redistributed as users re-register. So you dont' have the same IP forever.[/quote534432efea]

Good, I like knowing that I won't be stuck on a college campus forever.

But seriously, I think as long as you don't delay with completing sites, you should be fine. If you are going to take multiple quarters/semesters/years to do a site, you might run into problems, though.

stueybaby17

07-03-2007 18:31:08

[quote50da855d8b="moviemadnessman"][quote50da855d8b="stueybaby17"]It changes from college to college, but there should be some sort of way for the college to track your IP. Downloading in colleges is a huge problem so most unversities will provide some way to track IP addresses. It might be 1 IP per room, or per ethernet port. I know at my university (along with many many others) it is per computer. Every computer is registered on the campus network and has its' own IP address.

Every semester they clear the registration and all IPs are redistributed as users re-register. So you dont' have the same IP forever.[/quote50da855d8b]

Good, I like knowing that I won't be stuck on a college campus forever.

But seriously, I think as long as you don't delay with completing sites, you should be fine. If you are going to take multiple quarters/semesters/years to do a site, you might run into problems, though.[/quote50da855d8b]

It really shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't end up with sombody elses IP address. Hmm... but you are right, the longer you take the higher the chances of getting a used IP.

ghstlegacy17

07-03-2007 20:55:45

Ah, thanks for the advice guys.

zr2152

07-03-2007 20:59:20

I use a college ip..when im LAN, it never changes and i make sure that i complete all my offers from that IP. WHen im wireless, i just check my accounts sometimes and never had a problem. All of my friends have different ips for their computers.

shorterthanrich

08-03-2007 00:06:31

This has partially been answered, but...
Some schools give everyone a static IP. However, that is rare. More commonly, your IP is different pretty much every time, and the school merely keeps a log of what your IP address was at that time you were logged on. I know that is what my school does.
What school is it, maybe I know?

ghstlegacy17

08-03-2007 17:17:14

Unversity of Illinois Urbana, Champaign

jonohull

11-03-2007 19:06:21

Here at UW-Madison we get an IP assigned to each seperate MAC address we register onto our account.

Excel

11-03-2007 20:31:53

I've never had any trouble and I've completed a dozen or so site before.