Unathorized transactions! Get protection!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=54678

onestepback

21-02-2007 12:04:16

A lesson learned and want to share.

I recently went on a site and did an offer and my paypal debit card was captured by a dishonest person who in turn used my card to attempt to make purchases with it and sign up for things, however paypal being on top of it caught it and it did not go through, the charge was suppose to be for $1.95 s/h but tried to come through as $109.95!! I noticed a few $1 charges for offers I did not do which are pending. I need to wait to see if they go through and then go through the unauthorized charges investigation but thank goodness it was only for $1 charges.

So the fraud department shut down my card and told me to go to contact them so I did. I was directed to my profile to apply for another debit card. I got the following email.

lilililililililililililililililililililililililililili
Dear Mailbox Rentals Plus,

We are currently unable to issue you a debit card because your account
has an insufficient transaction history at this time.

Here is a list of qualifying steps that you may want to review before
re-applying for the PayPal Debit Card

1. Upgrade to a Premier or Business PayPal Account.
2. Register and confirm a bank account on your PayPal Account.
3. Add a credit card and enroll in PayPal's Expanded Use Program.
4. PayPal Account must be open for 60 days.
5. Be an active PayPal member in good standing, as determined by our
Account Review Department.

If you feel there has been an error in our evaluation of your request,
please contact us via webform at https//www.paypal.com/us/wf/f=dc_obt

Sincerely,
PayPal

I went to my paypal account and then to contact us and selected on of the options that would give me a window to type a message in. So I wrote them back with the following reply and copy and pasted part of their email to me in my reply.

Form Message customer subject

Fraud dept told me to order a new debit card customer message Additional Information 'I received the following email after requesting a new card as stated by the fraud dept. We had to shut down my card for fraudulent activity and so I was told to order another one. Why am I being denied? I have met ALL your requirements years ago. I have had an account and debit card for years.

So why can I not get a new card to replace the one closed today?

PJ Williamson/Richardson

We are currently unable to issue you a debit card because your account
has
an insufficient transaction history at this time.
re-applying for the PayPal Debit Card
#. Upgrade to a Premier or Business PayPal Account.
#. Register and confirm a bank account on your PayPal Account.
#. Add a credit card and enroll in PayPal's Expanded Use Program.
#. PayPal Account must be open for ## days.
#. Be an active PayPal member in good standing, as determined by our

Account Review Department.'

This is the reply I got

Dear PJ Richardson,

Thank you for contacting PayPal Customer Support. I will be happy to
Assist you with your questions regarding your denied request for a PayPal
Debit Card.

Upon researching your account PJ, I can see that the reason your PayPal
Debit card was denied is that your Social Security is associated with
another account. However, that account is a personal account, and you are allowed to
have one personal account and one premier or business account.

Due to this, I have issued you a Debit Card to the address on your account. It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing PayPal.

Sincerely,
Amy
PayPal Community Support
lilililililililililililililililililililililililili

Now in order to keep this from happening again I signed up for the virtual debit card!

Introducing the PayPal Virtual Debit Card - Beta
Concerned about giving out your credit or debit card number online? Wish you could use PayPal in more places?

The answer is here Download the new PayPal Virtual Debit Card. It generates a virtual card number every time you shop, everywhere you shop – so you never have to give out your credit or debit card number again!

You get all the convenience and security of PayPal, with a special advantage Now, you can pay with PayPal anywhere MasterCard® is accepted online.

Check out all the benefits
• Fraud Site Alert Warns you if you land on known or potentially fraudulent websites.
• Privacy and 100% Protection Financial information you provide is never shared with any merchant. And you get 100% protection against unauthorized payments sent from your account.
• Faster checkout The Form Fill feature automatically completes shipping and billing details.

The PayPal Virtual Debit Card (Beta). You won't want to shop without it!
Take the tour or go to Frequently Asked Questions or User Agreement.

So if you have met the above requirements I posted then you can do this and protect yourself. Read more about it from your account, if you go to the left side of your account overview page and are eligible you will see a link to Virtual Debit Card click it and it will answer all your questions. And it works also I used it without a problem.

The beauty of it is this, you can only generate one credit card number per order form. Once it is used it is no longer good, so anyone trying to capture and use it automatically tells paypal that it isn't you and denies it and logs the IP address on their fraud site list.

I hope this is helpful to anyone worried about submitting their credit card/debit card online if they Happen to have one with paypal. I suggest you take the tour

The PayPal Virtual Debit Card (Beta). You won't want to shop without it! Take the tour or go to Frequently Asked Questions or User Agreement.

laurelwm

21-02-2007 15:39:30

Ok, but how does that work with sites you are authorizing to charge your monthly fee to your account?? Seems when they go to charge the next month that they would get declined. Some things I try I don't keep, but some I do.

Just a thought..........
Laurel

condra

21-02-2007 15:52:46

and how did you manage to get the virtual cc? i tried but it wouldn't let me (

onestepback

21-02-2007 22:28:53

To Laurlwm
I am not possitive but I can ask.

I think it would go through because it was the one company you did the transaction with to begin with, they would decline a new charge with the same number from a different company all together.

lililililililililililililililililililililililililililililili
Ok, but how does that work with sites you are authorizing to charge your monthly fee to your account?? Seems when they go to charge the next month that they would get declined. Some things I try I don't keep, but some I do.

Just a thought..........
Laurel

onestepback

21-02-2007 22:31:50

Condra

applying for the Virtual Debit Card as well as the Paypal Debit Card.

#. Upgrade to a Premier or Business PayPal Account.
#. Register and confirm a bank account on your PayPal Account.
#. Add a credit card and enroll in PayPal's Expanded Use Program.
#. PayPal Account must be open for ## days.
#. Be an active PayPal member in good standing, as determined by our