Considered Fraud?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=54318

stueybaby17

17-02-2007 12:59:43

Ok so I just got a call from my credit card company and there were $3000 worth of attempted charges to my account. Thankfully the credit card company did not allow them before calling me. Anyway my card is now cancelled.

What should I do about the offers that I completed using that credit card. Some I may want to keep and might switch them to a different card. But others I wasn't impressed with and I'd like to cancel the offers right now just to get everything straightened out ASAP. But I don't want to be accused of fraud and lose my greens that I've done for people.

This is such a pain in the ass! x

gmario

17-02-2007 13:22:41

why is this happening so much often now? what offers are you guys doing that are causing this?????????

stueybaby17

17-02-2007 13:27:17

well it didn't happen till i did the offers from 2 dollar deal
I forget what ones i did. It was one of the game offers and something else. I'm gonna find out all the offers I did with the card and I'll post them here.

GiftOrb

17-02-2007 14:32:52

[quote2b8982d06b="stueybaby17"]Ok so I just got a call from my credit card company and there were $3000 worth of attempted charges to my account. Thankfully the credit card company did not allow them before calling me. Anyway my card is now cancelled.

What should I do about the offers that I completed using that credit card. Some I may want to keep and might switch them to a different card. But others I wasn't impressed with and I'd like to cancel the offers right now just to get everything straightened out ASAP. But I don't want to be accused of fraud and lose my greens that I've done for people.

This is such a pain in the ass! x[/quote2b8982d06b]

I would recommend you cancel the offers that you don't want to keep asap. They may be the ones causing the extreme charges. For the services you do want to keep, just read over the terms and conditions, to make sure you understand what you are subscribed to. Then call their customer service and ask them to switch your billing info. If you have any concerns on any offers, please feel free to PM me. I have done many offers out there, and can tell you which are legit, and which may have hidden fees. GL with your new credit card.

O yea, I wouldn't worry about the greens. If you already greened, it should stay green, unless you completed the offer multiple times, or signed up for the freebie site multiple times. Canceling an offer after you green will not remove it, unless specifically noted in the offer completion rules.(For example, web hosting offers usually require 2 months of service).

gator1002

17-02-2007 19:03:34

This is very intresting. Im new here so I have to ask is this somthing that has just started or has it always been a problem. I have seen alot of posts concerning fraudulent charges.

GiftOrb

17-02-2007 19:15:57

[quote4aff32e3c3="gator1002"]This is very intresting. Im new here so I have to ask is this somthing that has just started or has it always been a problem. I have seen alot of posts concerning fraudulent charges.[/quote4aff32e3c3]

There usually isn't if you understand the terms of the subscription. Many offers have Auto Ship programs, where they will automatically enroll you for a whole month, after a trial ends. This may be where the charges are coming from.

stueybaby17

17-02-2007 20:10:46

[quote102b02a6e4="TimmyWangy"][quote102b02a6e4="gator1002"]This is very intresting. Im new here so I have to ask is this somthing that has just started or has it always been a problem. I have seen alot of posts concerning fraudulent charges.[/quote102b02a6e4]

There usually isn't if you understand the terms of the subscription. Many offers have Auto Ship programs, where they will automatically enroll you for a whole month, after a trial ends. This may be where the charges are coming from.[/quote102b02a6e4]

I understand what terms and conditions are, I'm not that new to this type of stuff. These charges were for hundreds of dollars for stuff that I didn't subscribe to. Unless somewhere in the small print some site that is in no way affiliated with Googles Ads had in there terms of service that they were going to charge $472.67 to my account. And some other company having nothing to do with any offer I completed charging $367.42. There was more but I don't remember. They didn't show up on my bill because they were denied right away.

stueybaby17

17-02-2007 20:12:08

[quote31b87d3521="TimmyWangy"] O yea, I wouldn't worry about the greens. If you already greened, it should stay green, unless you completed the offer multiple times, or signed up for the freebie site multiple times. Canceling an offer after you green will not remove it, unless specifically noted in the offer completion rules.(For example, web hosting offers usually require 2 months of service).[/quote31b87d3521]

Thanks for that info. +Karma

GiftOrb

17-02-2007 20:22:13

[quote542fad753e="stueybaby17"][quote542fad753e="TimmyWangy"][quote542fad753e="gator1002"]This is very intresting. Im new here so I have to ask is this somthing that has just started or has it always been a problem. I have seen alot of posts concerning fraudulent charges.[/quote542fad753e]

There usually isn't if you understand the terms of the subscription. Many offers have Auto Ship programs, where they will automatically enroll you for a whole month, after a trial ends. This may be where the charges are coming from.[/quote542fad753e]

I understand what terms and conditions are, I'm not that new to this type of stuff. These charges were for hundreds of dollars for stuff that I didn't subscribe to. Unless somewhere in the small print some site that is in no way affiliated with Googles Ads had in there terms of service that they were going to charge $472.67 to my account. And some other company having nothing to do with any offer I completed charging $367.42. There was more but I don't remember. They didn't show up on my bill because they were denied right away.[/quote542fad753e]

For example, the Web Advertisement requires you to also sign up for Google Adwords, which charges your account for everytime someone clicks your link, but I believe you can set a limit to how much it will show each day. I also noticed that a lot of those Shopping Essential, Great Fun, Simply You style offers (the one where you buy gift cards for 20% off) have some fine print attached. When you sign up to do their site, they also automatically sign you up for a DIFFERENT company too. So by applying to one, you end up as a member to TWO sites.

Anyways, it still seems that the charges on your credit card are fraudulous since they are in such high amounts. Good luck resolving this.

jy3

18-02-2007 07:04:40

in addition to what others have said, it is important to have a credit card that will fight for you.
i have had nothing but good experiences with citibank.
also, never CANCEL a credit card. go thru the security offices and have them change your credit card number.

tspa

18-02-2007 11:57:59

On great fun, auto advantage, and other in TOS it does state that you are automatically signed up for another company.Usuallt it states that it is only 1$. Here is the catch if you do not cancel both you automaticaly stay signed up for both,even if you cancell the main one.

stueybaby17

18-02-2007 16:14:43

It happened to me right after these offers. They are also the offers that I trust the least.
Shopping Essentials
Gotta Play
Passport to Fun
Home Reward

I've also signed up earlier at these sites. But I think these are probably not the problem. And they were a few weeks ago.
Video Professor
Blockbuster
Stamps.com
True

zr2152

18-02-2007 16:28:16

yeah but no matter what offers you do, you shouldnt have $3000 worth of charges on your creditcard. Maybe hundreds.

maksmom

23-02-2007 21:30:35

Interesting you mentioned the Gotta Play offer...my card was also "stolen" the day after I completed that offer. Hmmm... Luckily my bank also caught it and didn't let the charges go through, although now I'm scared to complete any more offers because of the potential of this happening again! It's a real bummer!

zr2152

23-02-2007 21:32:26

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=54428

EDIT [quote3a57eb86b2="maksmom"]Interesting you mentioned the Gotta Play offer...my card was also "stolen" the day after I completed that offer. Hmmm... Luckily my bank also caught it and didn't let the charges go through, although now I'm scared to complete any more offers because of the potential of this happening again! It's a real bummer![/quote3a57eb86b2]

Dont worry about it, this is rare. Dont let this one thing ruin your experience here. Once they get this straightened out then everyhting will be fine.

Its not the sites, its just that one offer which im guessing will be removed from lists of offers around the freebie world till its straightened out.

moviemadnessman

23-02-2007 21:32:33

[quoteb0234e35b5="maksmom"]Interesting you mentioned the Gotta Play offer...my card was also "stolen" the day after I completed that offer. Hmmm... Luckily my bank also caught it and didn't let the charges go through, although now I'm scared to complete any more offers because of the potential of this happening again! It's a real bummer![/quoteb0234e35b5]

In regards to Gottaplay, it was determined they were having problems with credit theft

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=54832