Question about IP Addresses Sign up

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=48420

mhutter

15-11-2006 10:04:30

I have my girlfriend and my dad willing to sign up for a couple trainn sites. does it matter if they sign up for an offer on the same computer as me? i know it'd be better to sign up on a different PC, but will there be any problems?

thanks,

mike

hehehhehe

15-11-2006 10:08:33

Yes, it matters, they will be put on hold and so will you. Assuming you and your dad live in the same house, you're not supposed to sign up for each other (one account per household). Your girlfriend can sign up at her own house.

Excel

15-11-2006 10:30:12

And of course, you can't use the same credit cards for offers either.

mhutter

15-11-2006 11:01:39

actually, all three of us have different home addresses and different credit cards. we'd only be using the same PC. does that change things? thanks

mike

Excel

15-11-2006 11:10:22

What matters is the IP address. If you are bringing your computer to their houses and they sign up using your computer on THEIR internet connection, thats OK. To my knowledge, IP addresses only have to do with the internet connection, not the physical computer. However, they can't sign up using YOUR internet connection.

mhutter

15-11-2006 11:15:10

k. thanks. last question. this is where it gets sticky. what about my neighbor who uses my wireless internet on their computer at their house?

dmorris68

15-11-2006 12:27:54

[quote4063d77d8d="mhutter"]k. thanks. last question. this is where it gets sticky. what about my neighbor who uses my wireless internet on their computer at their house?[/quote4063d77d8d]
Depends on the fraud verification script on the site. Most sophisticated scripts can distinguish between 2 different PC's on a single LAN, however you run the risk of having it detected as 2 PC's within the same household, which would again result in a hold. I wouldn't risk it without contacting the site first and explaining the situation BEFORE the other person signs up. Some sites will take that under consideration and grant you an exemption or otherwise note it on your account so that you don't go on hold.

mhutter

15-11-2006 12:33:25

thanks! everyone on this site is super helpful. I want to get involved with a trainn 30GB ipod. I'm a complete newbie, so bring on the offers! Go BUCKEYES!