Help with columbia DVD club

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=31311

ClassAct

24-01-2006 09:03:32

Well sighned up 22nd got charged 12.40, not today randomly got charged 12.40. So called everynumber I found online for them and they claim to have notin from me no account number or anything no record of this. So called my bank they confirmed it was from them, but told me id have to wait till its not in pending stage to file a dispuite if I wanted to. What should I do my bank said it takes 10 days start to finish for a dispute is that my only option.

GiftOrb

24-01-2006 21:48:51

Not sure exactly, but sometimes companys will try to charge your account, just to check if you have enough for the payment to cover the plan. IE netflix charged me the $17.99 although I was in the free trial period. This $17.99 was only PENDING though, and when I did end my free trial, the $177.99 was gone, and I was never charged.

This may be the case, so I think you should wait until the charge is either removed of complete before taking action.

ragefu

25-01-2006 09:26:22

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing, I wouldn't worry as long as its still only showing as pending

crazyates

27-01-2006 18:27:18

if i do this columbia dvd..do i have to stay on for the full year? someone said that you had to fulfull "certain membership requirements" before you could cancel..including buying a certain number of dvds at full price making you pay a lot of money. does anyone know about this?

GiftOrb

29-01-2006 12:20:29

[quote94e09bb6ca="crazyates"]if i do this columbia dvd..do i have to stay on for the full year? someone said that you had to fulfull "certain membership requirements" before you could cancel..including buying a certain number of dvds at full price making you pay a lot of money. does anyone know about this?[/quote94e09bb6ca]

Yes, I seen a lot of those offers where they offer the first batch for really cheap, but they require you to buy cds/dvds at full price at least once a month for a year. I'm sure columbia dvd has this type of program installed. If you do cancel early, I believe they charge you a cancellation fee. They also have this type of program on the new dress ties for cheap deals on freepay sites.

ragefu

29-01-2006 18:52:00

I think it was like 5 dvds to buy, and there were some for $15 plus shipping, so about $100. You don't have to stay on for a certain time. If you want just order all 5 in one month then cancel, but there's no getting around it they will make you pay. And its not that bad, at least you get dvds instead of Dr. Seuss books roll

crazyates

29-01-2006 19:13:01

[quotebba51c3f2b="ragefu"]I think it was like 5 dvds to buy, and there were some for $15 plus shipping, so about $100. You don't have to stay on for a certain time. If you want just order all 5 in one month then cancel, but there's no getting around it they will make you pay. And its not that bad, at least you get dvds instead of [bbba51c3f2b]Dr. Seuss books [/bbba51c3f2b]roll[/quotebba51c3f2b]

haha ya i know what you're talking about...they've got a whole bunch of offers like that esp. on some of the DIY sites

brendenipod

11-02-2006 20:02:21

columbia house is a simlar program to bmg music service. Both are diffisions of sony now i beleive. BTW if anyone is curious, this is how bmg cd club works (its an amazing deal if you do it right).

BMG (12 cds for price of 1)

Sign up for offer and pick 7 free cds. These cds ship to you at a cost of 2.79 shipping each.

Then, you will be offered a "featured selection" once a month for $17.98 go online and tell them to not send it. I never advice getting your featured selection, because you can almost always get it cheaper later. Heres something most people dont know If you forget to reply to your featured selection and it gets sent to you, dont open the box. Just write on the pacakge "REFUSED-RETURN TO SENDER" and put it back in your mailbox. BMG will pay the return shipping, and you wont get charged for the selection (this is actually true for any order you make on bmg).

Then, sometime during the next year, buy one selection at full club price (usually 17.98 +2.79 shipping) and get 4 more "free" cds plus 2.79 shipping each. Once you have done this, you can cancel your membership and not have to worry about anything.

So, in summary, you get 12 cds for 51.46, which averages out to be slightly less than $4.29 a cd. Pretty sick deal huh? I have done bmg many times before, not for these offers/referrals, just because it is syuch a sweet deal on cds. Throughout the year, bmg offers various "sales," these almost always average out to about $8 a cd.

Columbia House was a separate company from BMG until just recently. Columbia house used to have a cd offer similar to bmg's, but they made you buy 4 cds at regular club prices..not as good of a deal. Recently bmg made an acquisition of columbia house and this is what the dvd program you are wanting to sign up for is.

Columbia house dvd works like this

Choose 5 DVDs for $0.49 each with FREE Shipping! All you need to do is buy 5 DVDs over the next 2 years at $19.95 or more plus shipping and processing, and you may cancel at anytime after doing so. so, pretty much, you end up getting 10 dvds for approximately 127.45 (im not sure how much shipping and handling is on your 5 regualr dvd's, but this figure is calculating in $5 a piece). this makes them 12.75 a piece...which is ok, but not really that great.

Like I said, I have done Bmg many times, just because of the good deal. Columbia house dvd is an OK deal....but i would only do it if you were going to buy 10 dvds at the store anyway.

applejoice

12-02-2006 15:14:54

i used to be subscribed to Columbia House but with the buy 3 at regular price deal. i waited until they had deals like buy one at regular price and the rest are 50% off, plus free shipping; then i asked my friends if they wanted to order any and i got points per DVD i ordered, which i used to get free DVDs later. )

jy3

17-02-2006 17:10:40

columbia house dvd is a great program. the only unfortunate thing is that the offers on the freesites are the worst deals they offer. but for a referral point...
read here )
http//www.dvdtalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=330e03469c65ed51f1efd7232425fe15&f=13