Columbia House DVD

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=30148

d3athtonic

09-01-2006 20:48:52

Anyone has done this offer?
Do they charge you the DVDs you buy and a membership fee?

tylerc

09-01-2006 20:50:23

Go to www.ratetheoffers.com and look..

crazyates

10-01-2006 06:53:48

i think this is the same company that does the bmg-12cds-for-the-price-of-1-offer. am i right on this? when i did that, there is no way to cancel your membership...but you don't pay anything either. i just get an email about once a week advertising their ligreat deals, and i just click no...and then it's over with.

So if you're going to be doing this offer, it dosn't cost much, but you'll probably be saying no to repeated special offers and promotions or else they ship more and more movies to your house and you will have to pay for them. it's all in the terms and conditions right there on thier website....

d3athtonic

10-01-2006 07:14:32

[quote4ba122f9ca]i think this is the same company that does the bmg-12cds-for-the-price-of-1-offer. am i right on this?[/quote4ba122f9ca]

Not sure if they're the same company. I think I might have accidentally did the Columbia House DVD for Canadians Only. I haven't been credited but transaction went smoothly. I was charged $17 for 6 DVDs and $20 - $30 for a membership fee. I really didn't see anything on the website that says there is a membership fee.

crazyates

10-01-2006 08:57:45

oh...well then i don't know then. When i did the bmg...i thought it was the same company cuz i saw ads for the columbia and there was a link on my onine bmg account saying i could by dvds from columbia. I'm not sure if that was just a bunch of ads, or if they were run through the same company. sorry for the confusion... hehe oops

$17 for dvds plus $30 for a membership.....that's a lot to pay for one offer....

brendenipod

10-01-2006 14:36:11

columbia house is a simlar program to bmg music service. Both are diffisions of sony now i beleive. BTW if anyone is curious, this is how bmg cd club works (its an amazing deal if you do it right).

BMG (12 cds for price of 1)

Sign up for offer and pick 7 free cds. These cds ship to you at a cost of 2.79 shipping each.

Then, you will be offered a "featured selection" once a month for $17.98 go online and tell them to not send it. I never advice getting your featured selection, because you can almost always get it cheaper later. Heres something most people dont know If you forget to reply to your featured selection and it gets sent to you, dont open the box. Just write on the pacakge "REFUSED-RETURN TO SENDER" and put it back in your mailbox. BMG will pay the return shipping, and you wont get charged for the selection (this is actually true for any order you make on bmg).

Then, sometime during the next year, buy one selection at full club price (usually 17.98 +2.79 shipping) and get 4 more "free" cds plus 2.79 shipping each. Once you have done this, you can cancel your membership and not have to worry about anything.

So, in summary, you get 12 cds for 51.46, which averages out to be slightly less than $4.29 a cd. Pretty sick deal huh? I have done bmg many times before, not for these offers/referrals, just because it is syuch a sweet deal on cds. Throughout the year, bmg offers various "sales," these almost always average out to about $8 a cd.

Columbia House was a separate company from BMG until just recently. Columbia house used to have a cd offer similar to bmg's, but they made you buy 4 cds at regular club prices..not as good of a deal. Recently bmg made an acquisition of columbia house and this is what the dvd program you are wanting to sign up for is.

Columbia house dvd works like this

Choose 5 DVDs for $0.49 each with FREE Shipping! All you need to do is buy 5 DVDs over the next 2 years at $19.95 or more plus shipping and processing, and you may cancel at anytime after doing so. so, pretty much, you end up getting 10 dvds for approximately 127.45 (im not sure how much shipping and handling is on your 5 regualr dvd's, but this figure is calculating in $5 a piece). this makes them 12.75 a piece...which is ok, but not really that great.

Like I said, I have done Bmg many times, just because of the good deal. Columbia house dvd is an OK deal....but i would only do it if you were going to buy 10 dvds at the store anyway.

d3athtonic

10-01-2006 19:57:49

Nicely explained! Thanks.

chewy

11-01-2006 12:17:16

i did the dvd's and sold them on amazon.com and just about broke even. i just searched amazon before i bought them through bmg to see which ones has the highest selling price. then i sell them a little below the cheapest New prices item, i will probably do it again.

d3athtonic

11-01-2006 12:54:59

[quote6096582e50]i did the dvd's and sold them on amazon.com and just about broke even. i just searched amazon before i bought them through bmg to see which ones has the highest selling price. then i sell them a little below the cheapest New prices item, i will probably do it again.[/quote6096582e50]

Smart thing to do.