Averatec comparison - i know which one is better!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=5288

justinfreestuff

27-01-2005 14:12:21

ok here is the breakdown

1st option - the Intel 3.0 Ghz 15.4" widescreen
here is the link http//www.averatec.com/notebooks/6100series.htm (AV6130H1)
Price $1099.99

2nd option - the AMD 2200+ 12.1" with dvd burner
here is the link http//www.averatec.com/notebooks/3200series.htm (AV3250HX)
Price $1149.99

it's like choosing the XBox over the Gamecube and the 20GB over the Mini
IF IN DOUBT, CHOOSE THE MORE EXPENSIVE ONE

8)

Tholek

27-01-2005 16:57:36

I already posted this info earlier on, and with a bit more detail.... ;)

You forgot to mention that the P4 is a hyperthreaded version, and that it has a Radeon 9600 card. As the P4 isn't a Mobile version, it's gonna drain the battery faster than the Athlon XP-M.

Like I said, the Athlon is the one to go for, but the video card is a VIA S3 Unichrome, which is a far cry from the Radeon.

Not as clear cut as you stated, but my choice would be the same.

By the way, the prices you state are MSRP. Newegg.com has them for less.

PodTopia

27-01-2005 20:07:25

HOW ABOUT THE iBooks??? Which one of those is better?

Lunarpancake

27-01-2005 21:17:02

made me change my mind to the AMD...even tho i really really wanted the 15.3 wide screen. Also the 7.7lbs compared to like 5.something was a big reason i changed my mind

justinfreestuff

28-01-2005 09:03:53

i just wanted to present people with links to see the comparisons for themselves, mainly

i still am not sure which one i want, but im leaning toward the athlon because the laptop is for my wife, she won't be wanting to plug in it and charge it all over the place, and she won't play games on it so i dont need the great video card, and the dvd burner will be nice since it'll be on a wireless network in our house and we don't currently have a dvd burner on our other desktop

it'd be great to have a 15.4" widescreen but the weight of the other one will be nice for her

shifuimam

28-01-2005 09:49:02

[quotef948ea9f32="PodTopia"]HOW ABOUT THE iBooks??? Which one of those is better?[/quotef948ea9f32]

It's hard to tell if the 14" has an airport extreme (b/g wireless) card, because it's not listed under the 14" but it is listed under the 12".

Other than that question, they are [bf948ea9f32]identical[/bf948ea9f32]. One has a 14" screen, and one has a 12" screen. Both have the same resolution (1024x768). I'm going with the 12", because I already have a 14.1" Dell Latitude D600, so this is my take-anywhere laptop. I know the Averatec AMD has a 12.1" screen as well, but I also just really want a Mac. o

You should find out if your school is part of the Apple educational program, if you're interested in getting an iBook. Even my old school (small/private) is in the list of schools, so it's more than likely that you can purchase through this.

Link http//store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

I am also going to find out if you can buy at the Apple Store locally and still get the student discount. If you want the 12", I would recommend getting the paypal cash (comes to $971.70 after the 2.9%+$0.30 PayPal cut) and and getting the ugpraded 12" for $949. You can use any PC2100 200-pin SODIMM laptop RAM to upgrade (everyone I've talked to has said that 256MB isn't enough for OS X to run smoothly), so take the $20 you have left over to go get another 256mb or 512mb ram upgrade.

Plus, this way, if you get it and there's something wrong with it, you have a receipt so you can go back to the Apple store for help!

Tholek

28-01-2005 11:24:20

[quoteea5d8a0858="justinfreestuff"]i just wanted to present people with links to see the comparisons for themselves, mainly

i still am not sure which one i want, but im leaning toward the athlon because the laptop is for my wife, she won't be wanting to plug in it and charge it all over the place, and she won't play games on it so i dont need the great video card, and the dvd burner will be nice since it'll be on a wireless network in our house and we don't currently have a dvd burner on our other desktop

it'd be great to have a 15.4" widescreen but the weight of the other one will be nice for her[/quoteea5d8a0858]

Yeah, I think both Averatecs are really best suited as desktop replacements, rather than true mobile PCs, as even the Athlon's battery doesn't hold up much either. (although better than the P4HT)