Anybody looking for a good conga?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=4706

undertheradar

14-01-2005 13:07:16

PM me......a site I'm on has a good one going. Only a few people on it so far. )

adenosine

14-01-2005 13:10:19

The math of congas do not work out

It makes what is a marketing system into a straight matrix type scheme

There are a lot of losers for a small number of winners in this plan.

as you move down 'layers' in the grid, the number of people who need to sign up increase exponentially!

undertheradar

14-01-2005 13:24:08

Hey...I don't need it, but I see lots of people asking for them so I thought I'd offer. cry

l0th

14-01-2005 14:56:42

[quotecff6880cdf]There are a lot of losers for a small number of winners in this plan.[/quotecff6880cdf]

Wait... are you talking about mp3players4free.com or about conga lines? lol

Seriously, because the basic system you work for is a pyramid scheme (which in no way means scam), whatever the way to find referrals, you won't change the fact that it's a pyramid scheme and there will always be more losers than winners. So, I guess, whether you get your referrals from strangers on a conga or from people you know like friends and family, you're always "more a winner" than them. Actually, maybe it's more decent to do it to people you don't know after all... lol

At least in the case of a conga, you give your referral a chance (granted, not a 100% guaranteed chance...) to get referrals the same way. You'll tell me you can also help your friends, co-workers and family who signed for you find their own referrals but I doubt many people do that, 1) because it's tiresome enough for yourself 2) because most people are greedy and would prefer keeping the referrals for themselves (for another deal if they're already done)

So, yes, you're right
[quotecff6880cdf]The math of congas do not work out[/quotecff6880cdf]
But I think the only math that works in this case is that of the websites owners.

adenosine

14-01-2005 15:03:29

Give your referrals a chance?

If you're know that you need referral to get up to referral #100 or whatever to get yours, can you feel ethical prompting people to join despite knowing that he will need to help sign up hundreds more.. and those hundreds more won't see anything?

I can't see that being ethical. I can't recruit somebody do something I know that, even if they can get what they want, that they would have to eventually recruit somebody into it that would surely be a loser, by the laws of mathematics.

Honestly, I never tell people they can get their free merchandise. I always try to get them to sign up for an offer that they might want, and tell them to forget about recruiting more people. If they really want it they can try for it, but I'm not going to misrepresent it. I tell them upfront they are joining a pyramid scheme.

I just want people to realize how quickly these congas become very hard to gain anything from... it's not linearly bad... it's exponentially bad.

l0th

14-01-2005 15:19:14

[quote3bb5f317d6]If you're know that you need referral to get up to referral #100 or whatever to get yours, can you feel ethical prompting people to join despite knowing that he will need to help sign up hundreds more.. and those hundreds more won't see anything? [/quote3bb5f317d6]

No, that's why I discontinued the lines I had started.

[quote3bb5f317d6]Honestly, I never tell people they can get their free merchandise. I always try to get them to sign up for an offer that they might want, and tell them to forget about recruiting more people. If they really want it they can try for it, but I'm not going to misrepresent it. I tell them upfront they are joining a pyramid scheme. [/quote3bb5f317d6]

OK then. I guess if all your referrals are interested in is the trial offers they sign-up for, I don't see any problem. But I'd be interested (and I'm not being sarcastic) to know how many greens you get that way.

[quote3bb5f317d6]I just want people to realize how quickly these congas become very hard to gain anything from... it's not linearly bad... it's exponentially bad[/quote3bb5f317d6]

I don't think that conga lines are intrinsically "bad." They don't lower your chances to complete your requirements. They don't prevent you from finding referrals on your own, they don't prevent you from trading. They can only be a bonus.

adenosine

14-01-2005 15:26:44

[quotec6ef84ebf0="l0th"]
[quotec6ef84ebf0]Honestly, I never tell people they can get their free merchandise. I always try to get them to sign up for an offer that they might want, and tell them to forget about recruiting more people. If they really want it they can try for it, but I'm not going to misrepresent it. I tell them upfront they are joining a pyramid scheme. [/quotec6ef84ebf0]

OK then. I guess if all your referrals are interested in is the trial offers they sign-up for, I don't see any problem. But I'd be interested (and I'm not being sarcastic) to know how many greens you get that way.
[/quotec6ef84ebf0]

So far? 4 greens in three days. Some more are pending. I've also 'traded' referrals. I don't feel this is unethical because I have no interest in the products that I signed up for. I sure hope they don't have any interest in the products they signed up for under me.

edit by 'products they signed up for' i mean the product that you get by getting the number of referrals. not the product that is part of the 'offer'

It's easy not too hard to sell discounted blockbuster online months to people who I've been talking to about netflix for a long time. It's not too hard to sell $20 gift certificates for $1. I've even convinced more than one person to attempt the CC offers (as it would help their credit rating).

[quotec6ef84ebf0="loth"]
[quotec6ef84ebf0]I just want people to realize how quickly these congas become very hard to gain anything from... it's not linearly bad... it's exponentially bad[/quotec6ef84ebf0]

I don't think that conga lines are intrinsically "bad." They don't lower your chances to complete your requirements. They don't prevent you from finding referrals on your own, they don't prevent you from trading. They can only be a bonus.[/quotec6ef84ebf0]

While they aren't intrinsically bad, I see them misrepresented. I don't think many people work out the math for them. I think they see them as an easy way to success. I want them to know how bad the odds really are. Lotto tickets on the back of them (in WA state) tell you the abysmal odds. People still buy them.

l0th

14-01-2005 15:35:35

[quotebbe7278975]It's easy not too hard to sell discounted blockbuster online months to people who I've been talking to about netflix for a long time. It's not too hard to sell $20 gift certificates for $1. I've even convinced more than one person to attempt the CC offers (as it would help their credit rating).
[/quotebbe7278975]

Now, that's interesting. I know that there are a lot of people on this conga who wonder how those who are not on congas get their greens. Here you go, someone is finally giving you some tips.

Thanks for the info. However, attempt CC offers is not a good idea credit-wise. I'm not sure you're aware of this, but you'll receive credit only when the person has been approved, has activated the cc, and has used it (no min. sum to spend though).

You're basically right about the conga lines, but you should check out the circles although they won't complete many people they are much fairer in their distribution of referrals.

adenosine

14-01-2005 15:41:40

I realize that it will take me a long time to receive my credit on the CC offers. I figure a 'free' piece of merchandise is worth the wait. I also have no problems getting people to sign up for a card I have carried in my own wallet for years.

I'm not aware of the concept behind the 'conga circle' could you explain it to me?

l0th

14-01-2005 15:50:16

I'll PM you a link so that I won't be accused of advertising here (I saw doylnea passing by not long ago. Hi Doylnea! wink).

I'm quite sure you'll find faults with the circle system given your take on the whole thing, but I'd be interested to know what you think about it.

adenosine

14-01-2005 16:04:08

That conga circle idea is interesting.

I guess I find that a lot more fair (depending on the rotation algorithm) than a system in which you are almost guaranteed not to get any referrals. At least you COULD get one or two, even if you were in a bad position.

I think that, of course, the 'most fair' would be to use a truly random algorithm every time (instead of a weighted one) because the starts would already get weight by the fact they were in more 'draws' and they were in pools with far fewer people. Don't know if too many people would want to start one given the far lower odds of getting all your referrals if you didn't use a weighted algy.

l0th

14-01-2005 16:08:59

[quote8fb9da5a0d]Don't know if too many people would want to start one given the far lower odds of getting all your referrals if you didn't use a weighted algy.[/quote8fb9da5a0d]

Yes they would, because as you said

[quote8fb9da5a0d]the starts would already get weight by the fact they were in more 'draws' and they were in pools with far fewer people[/quote8fb9da5a0d]

Also, don't forget that it's also weighted by the number of referrals you already got of several people joining on the same day, the one with less referrals stands a better chance.

doylnea

15-01-2005 14:43:58

[quote27a08f6abe="l0th"]I'll PM you a link so that I won't be accused of advertising here (I saw doylnea passing by not long ago. Hi Doylnea! wink).

I'm quite sure you'll find faults with the circle system given your take on the whole thing, but I'd be interested to know what you think about it.[/quote27a08f6abe]

Nice to see you again...

l0th

15-01-2005 17:36:58

Hi Doylnea! D

How have you been?

doylnea

15-01-2005 17:47:15

[quote90608e846f="l0th"]Hi Doylnea! D

How have you been?[/quote90608e846f]

Busy with real life. I had typed a long response to your post a while ago about all of the new sites, and then mistyped and deleted it, but I think my post from tonight nicely summarizes it...

[quote90608e846f]
[quote90608e846f][b90608e846f]hovigga [/b90608e846f]wrote
How does the average Joe run a site like that? [/quote90608e846f]

[b90608e846f]doylnea[/b90608e846f] wrote
Generally without a business plan, capital, or any idea about what it means to run an effective business - in general poorly and inefficiently[/quote90608e846f]

pSeuDo

15-01-2005 18:12:10

congas are great if you jump on it quickly. i know a link to a conga. pm me if you want it. theres not a lot of people on it yet.

doylnea

15-01-2005 18:23:03

[quote6906d2f256="pSeuDo"]congas are great if you jump on it quickly. i know a link to a conga. pm me if you want it. theres not a lot of people on it yet.[/quote6906d2f256]
boo

And Conga's are only great if the site also gets good traffic. I can point anyone to Congas with 3 people on them...

but the sites get 5 hits a day. Good luck getting your referrals that way.

Stroid

15-01-2005 23:34:10

[quoteb8662612dc="pSeuDo"]congas are great if you jump on it quickly. i know a link to a conga. pm me if you want it. theres not a lot of people on it yet.[/quoteb8662612dc]

Yes its a great site!! D

FreeOffersNow

15-01-2005 23:57:23

over 250 hits per week! (270/7 = 35.7.....> 5 hits per day) )

FreeOffersNow

15-01-2005 23:59:53

Whoops, 314 uniques this week, over 700 total...up that per-day figure a bit

Stroid

16-01-2005 00:01:48

The site is growing nice to hear!!!

l0th

16-01-2005 00:26:32

[quote0b63d74f22="doylnea"][quote0b63d74f22="l0th"]Hi Doylnea! D

How have you been?[/quote0b63d74f22]

Busy with real life. I had typed a long response to your post a while ago about all of the new sites, and then mistyped and deleted it, but I think my post from tonight nicely summarizes it...

[quote0b63d74f22]
[quote0b63d74f22][b0b63d74f22]hovigga [/b0b63d74f22]wrote
How does the average Joe run a site like that? [/quote0b63d74f22]

[b0b63d74f22]doylnea[/b0b63d74f22] wrote
Generally without a business plan, capital, or any idea about what it means to run an effective business - in general poorly and inefficiently[/quote0b63d74f22][/quote0b63d74f22]

It's a shame you couldn't finish that post it would have been nice to see that we agreed on this wink