Official Statement from OC

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=15561

sweeedfish

31-05-2005 11:55:28

Stolen from A4F =)

[quote81b5d63f88]Free site traders community,

With regards to the changes in offers, we've gotten a handful of emails
and we have seen some of the threads with angry posters and completely off
base ideas as to why we've made these changes.

The reason we've had to limit what offers are available is mainly due to
fraud. It's simply gotten too easy for people to take advantage of our
sites and their offers.

Advertisers are not dumb and most simply are getting terrible returns on
their advertising expenses through us and other incentive sites. We get
pressure from the advertisers and we have issues of our own with fraud
that has lead to us having to make significant changes.

We were faced with a decision of limiting available offers or losing many
of them. So for all the people complaining that it's much harder to get
something, it would have been even harder had we lost the "good" offers
completely.

The posts about people planning on "telling on us" to the advertisers is
just plain misguided. If they think they will get anywhere complaining to
advertisers that we made it harder for people to take advantage of their
offers, well, that's just plain pointless.

It may have gotten harder to get things from our sites by doing free trial
offers and cancelling them over and over but that's what had to be done.

Steven

[/quote81b5d63f88]

mr0x

31-05-2005 14:47:04

[quote072a44dafd="sweeedfish"]Stolen from A4F =)

[quote072a44dafd]Freeipodguide,

With regards to the changes in offers, we've gotten a handful of emails
and we have seen some of the threads with angry posters and completely off
base ideas as to why we've made these changes.

The reason we've had to limit what offers are available is mainly due to
fraud. It's simply gotten too easy for people to take advantage of our
sites and their offers.

Advertisers are not dumb and most simply are getting terrible returns on
their advertising expenses through us and other incentive sites. We get
pressure from the advertisers and we have issues of our own with fraud
that has lead to us having to make significant changes.

We were faced with a decision of limiting available offers or losing many
of them. So for all the people complaining that it's much harder to get
something, it would have been even harder had we lost the "good" offers
completely.

The posts about people planning on "telling on us" to the advertisers is
just plain misguided. If they think they will get anywhere complaining to
advertisers that we made it harder for people to take advantage of their
offers, well, that's just plain pointless.

It may have gotten harder to get things from our sites by doing free trial
offers and cancelling them over and over but that's what had to be done.

Steven

[/quote072a44dafd][/quote072a44dafd]

But, how does limiting the offers help the advertisers? It only helps OC in the short short run - the new few months or so where they get money but don't have to pay out. In the long run, everyone will realize that completing the sites is really really hard and few will try and complete OC and it hurts them too.

Is OC looking to just let the sites run till the last drop of revenue comes in. Or is this just a measure to buy some time to figure out how to deal with the current situation? Any thoughts?

aguy

31-05-2005 14:48:12

they suck

Retro

31-05-2005 16:59:16

[quotec84535c9cf="mr0x"]But, how does limiting the offers help the advertisers? It only helps OC in the short short run - the new few months or so where they get money but don't have to pay out. In the long run, everyone will realize that completing the sites is really really hard and few will try and complete OC and it hurts them too.

Is OC looking to just let the sites run till the last drop of revenue comes in. Or is this just a measure to buy some time to figure out how to deal with the current situation? Any thoughts?[/quotec84535c9cf]

That's exactly what I was thinking. While people may struggle to get people to complete the offers now, they may never want to do an OC site again. I don't think they should have to stick to do free trial offers, but at least offers that people would be interested in, like Blockbuster

iusa

31-05-2005 17:08:30

they seem to be only limiting the offers when someone is getting close to completing a site...otherwise the offers are there for many people..so basically its OC trying to fuck people from getting their gift, which means more money they get to keep

mr0x

31-05-2005 17:39:04

[quote3786975eed="iusa"]they seem to be only limiting the offers when someone is getting close to completing a site...otherwise the offers are there for many people..so basically its OC trying to fuck people from getting their gift, which means more money they get to keep[/quote3786975eed]

They only profit in the really short term. Eventually, people will move to other sites and stop doing OC and promoting OC; and OC will lose out in the long term.

But, maybe they aren't worried about the long term?

AndrewZ

31-05-2005 18:33:29

You should ask them how they are roatating them... do they just limit to the hard 7 offers once you have most of your referalls or what? Id like an answer to that... im trying to do notebooks4free and really dont wanna get fucked over when im almost done.

twhite567

31-05-2005 19:53:25

Ahem, at least give credit where credit is due, and don't change the name on the email..... ?

Retro

31-05-2005 20:23:27

[quote16e1f1b9e0="twhite567"]Ahem, at least give credit where credit is due, and don't change the name on the email..... ?[/quote16e1f1b9e0]
lol

CronoDekar

31-05-2005 20:45:48

I'm thinking the same thing as iusa. If so, then they may be going to a format more like Incentive Reward (or those other no-referral deals) where they make ending it really hard. Either that or they're telling the truth and it's just a side-benefit (they do give a plausable explanation, and I've never been one to imagine grandoise plots). Either way, I'd imagine this does make trading OC sites really difficult, though, and I can't imagine them staying that popular much longer. Then again, if their problem is as bad as they say it is, then it may just be that they're stuck between a rock and a hard place and didn't have much other choice. Still doesn't mean I like them )

On a tangent, there really needs to be more offers like Blockbuster -- ones with services that people that do the sites would actually want to keep. Would have less of the cancellation problem if they really got more worthwhile offers on there instead of 5000 weight loss offers. Doesn't strike me as unusual that out of all the offers that's come and gone, Blockbuster's one of the few that's actually stuck around. I'd imagine Napster'll do (or is doing) pretty well too. (Kinda surprised Gamefly didn't do all that well, though.)

LinuxPoser

01-06-2005 04:17:28

god they are evil. I get 3g and they decide to cut down the offers to things nobody wants... great... i was sooo damn close. I'll probably never get it done now, what a waste of time

ajrock2000

01-06-2005 15:02:01

i guess i can join the club too, i was reviewed, one ref was DQ. and now no one can complete a damn offer, cuz ther all $50 plus.

hehehhehe

01-06-2005 15:17:04

What they say makes no sense. Why get rid of Blockbuster when that's probably the offer with the best retention? OC is not saving Blockbuster from bad referrals, they are saving themselves some cash by providing shitty offers at the finish line. Don't need to be overly intelligent to figure that out.

I was going to do many of their sites too...

ajrock2000

01-06-2005 15:22:32

me too, but after my last ref for psps4free. im done.

donaldpaul3

01-06-2005 20:21:12

http//bestsmileys.com/frustrated/7.gif[" alt=""/img26a7a1eb25]

THEY SUCK!

aguy

02-06-2005 00:45:23

ive got a statement for OC

Dear offer centric,
Fuck all of your employees and all of their mothers as well

hunterr83

02-06-2005 04:05:49

[quote7cc2727966="aguy"]ive got a statement for OC

Dear offer centric,
Fuck all of your employees and all of their mothers as well[/quote7cc2727966]

Come on, now. Don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel.

vdubgirl

02-06-2005 05:32:36

why dont they make an "official statement" as to why they're trying to scam me???

(see my thread "rediculous behavior by OC")

JUNIOR6886

02-06-2005 13:04:01

Odd When I got my 3 refs on ipodshuffles4freee and was finally ready to do MY offer I saw only expensive shit. Today I logged into my account and see lots of free offers (that ive done before unfortunately)

lamecity

02-06-2005 20:36:30

so you are saying oc put back up free offers?

Strife220

03-06-2005 00:10:20

Not for me, they didn't.

JUNIOR6886

09-06-2005 08:34:31

for me they did. It was totally weird I was seeing the 7 expensive offers for a while but then after a little while I then started seeing seeing video professor and miracle burn and petchews free trials and even AOL shock I just went green for AOL yesterdsay. All i need to finish is
PSPS4free. Someone did the credit card offer for me so I just need 1 more person to do it for 40$ and then i can get the 250$ and say goodbye to OC forever

flashbackz

13-06-2005 16:30:54

once i get done w/ pvps4free i'm getting the hell away from OC.... they suck more than anything.... they closed dvrs4free when i had 4 greens.... and have no limited offers on most their sites(thank god not pvps4free.... yet...) i really hope they go out of business..... its their own problem if they don't have a strong enough means to prevent fraud... gratis seems to be alive and thriving..... roll

chillywilly

22-06-2005 12:16:18

[quotea0af24eb78="Retro"]That's exactly what I was thinking. While people may struggle to get people to complete the offers now, they may never want to do an OC site again. I don't think they should have to stick to do free trial offers, but at least offers that people would be interested in, like Blockbuster[/quotea0af24eb78]
Well stated, Retro.

If they have offers that people will want to keep past the trial instead of forcing them to stay on with an offer that's overpriced and doesn't have an interest for that person, then they are going to get less and less people doing offers.

Collateral

22-06-2005 12:27:08

Where have you been chilly? lol

chillywilly

22-06-2005 12:44:51

[quotee1706cc149="Collateral"]Where have you been chilly? lol[/quotee1706cc149]
Work and life keeping me way too busy.

Things should slow down in the next couple of weeks so I can finish a couple of sites, one of them being the OC site listed below.

I like some of the changes out here... nice.

mistertomlinson

11-10-2005 18:35:30

[quote8fe73993cd="aguy"]ive got a statement for OC

Dear offer centric,
Fuck all of your employees and all of their mothers as well[/quote8fe73993cd]

Jesus Christ, that's fuckin' hillarious!

goofygarber

11-10-2005 18:59:10

Way to bump a like year old thread =P