GreatFun membership when I signed up for Blockbuster????

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=12438

Poqui

23-04-2005 08:45:01

Bear with me, I'm a noob on this site but this is a very weird situation that I am hoping to get some feedback on. I just completed the blockbuster offer on psps4free.com as part of a trade. When I finished everything I checked my email to look for the in-store e-coupons that I was supposed to receive. Rather than that, I found a "Welcome to GreatFun" email. The welcome email was sent to the address that I used to create the blockbuster account and contained the same password I used for blockbuster. I was like, WTF?

GreatFun is run by Trilegiant, which also runs the CompleteHome, Buyer's Advantage, and several other programs that show up on referral sites like psps4free. I had a CompleteHome membership from when I signed up for freeipods.com, and that membership is currently active. HOWEVER, I signed up for CompleteHome with a different email than I did with Blockbuster. So at first glance it appears to me as though the information I supplied to blockbuster was used to create a GreatFun membership for me.

Furthermore, I checked my credit card activity and it shows two charges for today. One for Blockbuster for $1.00 and another for something called "Gurney-Lawrenceburg" for $4.78. I was expecting the blockbuster charge (though I thought it would be for $9.99 rather than $1), but I have no idea what that second charge is. And it's early on a Saturday morning right now so I don't think that my wife has been out charging up the card yet.

I have no idea what is going on but I just fired off strongly worded emails to blockbuster and GreatFun about this. And if I can't figure out what that charge on my card is then I'm going to have to call my bank and tell them that it's unauthorized. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Something like this could turn me off from referral programs for good if everything is as it appears to me at first glance. Any problems with GreatFun or Blockbuster in general?

wood

23-04-2005 20:41:23

Wouldnt it make more sense to call your credit card company and inquire about the $4.78 charge BEFORE writting strongly worded emails to BB and GF?
They can always give you a good bit of information regarding the charges in question.

As for Great Fun, after signing up for Block Buster, the webpage after submitting your information will have a button that offers a free 30 day trial membership to great fun.
Since you already entered your credit card information in the prior form for BlockBuster, it was all on record. By clicking that button you basically gave BB to share your information with GF.

However, blockbuster SHOULD be a $9.99 charge and GF should be $1.00. As for $4.78, I've never experienced a charge in that amount.

slease

24-04-2005 01:17:51

That 4.78 is probably something unrelated to all of this. GreatFun wouldn't have been activated unless you filled out information on its site. As a matter of fact I don't even see GreatFun on the psps4free offer list. Have you ever been to the greatfun website and when was the last time you were there?

I googled Gurney-Lawrenceburg and came up with Gurney plant store in Lawrenceburg Indiana. Order anything from there? Lol. I'd dispute that charge but not the 1.00 from blockbuster.

Be careful sending emails to blockbuster like that, it could easily effect whether you get credit for this or not.

CoMpFrEaK

24-04-2005 02:07:02

[quote116733c485="slease"]That 4.78 is probably something unrelated to all of this. GreatFun wouldn't have been activated unless you filled out information on its site. As a matter of fact I don't even see GreatFun on the psps4free offer list. Have you ever been to the greatfun website and when was the last time you were there?

I googled Gurney-Lawrenceburg and came up with Gurney plant store in Lawrenceburg Indiana. Order anything from there? Lol. I'd dispute that charge but not the 1.00 from blockbuster.

Be careful sending emails to blockbuster like that, it could easily effect whether you get credit for this or not.[/quote116733c485]

remind me how does it effect him getting credit or not

slease

24-04-2005 02:10:25

Do you not think if he pisses off blockbuster that they would not give OC credit for the referral? Seems like something they could do pretty easily. I might just be being paranoid as its my trade that he's talking about.

Poqui

24-04-2005 08:50:26

[quote3fa0796e50="slease"]Do you not think if he pisses off blockbuster that they would not give OC credit for the referral? Seems like something they could do pretty easily. I might just be being paranoid as its my trade that he's talking about.[/quote3fa0796e50]

I wouldn't worry about the trade. Blockbuster has no reason to deny me credit for the offer, especially since this is one offer that I plan on keeping. If I were to call and cancel it tomorrow, then maybe, but that's not what I'm going to do. The email I sent them was strongly worded, yet polite and professional. In any case, if something goes south I'll make sure that I get straight with you. And I just figured out what the Gurney charge was... my wife bought some spring plants from their catalog last fall and they just shipped them out and charged now. roll

I learned that the $1 charge from Blockbuster was just a temporary authorization. There was another blockbuster charge for $10.55 that appeared today, so I presume the $1 one will disappear later.

Thanks for that info wood. I don't recall seeing an offer from greatfun while I was creating the blockbuster membership, but it's possible that I missed it. They can be pretty sneaky with those things sometimes. Haven't heard back from blockbuster yet, I'm going to assume that they're going to confirm wood's theory. Anyhow the email that I got back from greatfun was understanding, and said that I could cancel my membership with them tomorrow when the phone lines open up. I haven't seen any charges from them yet but if they show up I'm going to ask that they credit them. That just seems like a poor security policy to create another membership without prompting for a new login and password.

Thanks for your help everyone. If I seemed paranoid, it's for good reason. Just had to deal with an incident of identity theft, and now every time I look at my bills and see something I don't immediately recognize I get suspicious.

wood

24-04-2005 10:43:45

[quote8e482f6942="slease"] GreatFun wouldn't have been activated unless you filled out information on its site.[/quote8e482f6942]

Wrong.
Read my original reply to his question...

slease

24-04-2005 13:14:48

[quote243f9f76fb="wood"]
As for Great Fun, after signing up for Block Buster, the webpage after submitting your information will have a button that offers a free 30 day trial membership to great fun.
[/quote243f9f76fb]

Oops, totally skimmed over that on my first read, it was late.