Early bumps

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=75296

hehehhehe

16-04-2008 15:15:43

Ok since, some of you have tried to use the same reasoning when told you had bumped your thread before 24 hours have passed, I'm going to clarify some things here so I don't have to keep spending time writing long PMs to each offender.

Some of you have responded by telling us that you checked the time when your last post was (from the forum), and according to your clock, it has been 24 hours.

If the forum does not show that you didn't wait 24 hours before bumping, you didn't wait 24 hours, period. Maybe the time zone in your profile is not set correctly, or if you're going by memory of when you last posted, maybe you're not remembering correctly. The forum software is not going to change the time at which you posted so please stop telling us that's what happened. To avoid problems use a post-it (take some from the office like the rest of us) and write down the time you last bumped if that's what it takes. Otherwise, go into your profile and make sure your time zone is set correctly.

Each time you do an early bump and it is reported, if I am the one seeing the report I will usually post a reminder in your thread to read the rules, and from now on I am telling people to wait 48 hours after my post to start bumping again. That extra 24 hours is added on because I am in effect, bumping your thread for you when I have to remind you to read the rules.

Thanks for your cooperation.

TravMan162

16-04-2008 15:25:37

why don't you use that satanic red writing in their post like J4 does?

I don't think it bumps. AND it's scary. D

[i7ebdbd2256]Indeed. Satan writing tends to be quite effective at times. But it depends on the situation and what you feel like doing. --- J4 [/color7ebdbd2256][/i7ebdbd2256] twisted

J4320

16-04-2008 15:32:30

I know exactly what you mean, hehehehehe. I got 2 PMs within the past 4 hours with people exclaiming that something is messed up with the forum's time.

You need to adjust your timezones. Click the state for your timezone and adjust it in your profile. Stop complaining to us about how you were tricked by the wrong timezone on here.[=http//wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/]You need to adjust your timezones. Click the state for your timezone and adjust it in your profile. Stop complaining to us about how you were tricked by the wrong timezone on here.[/size8add26fbf0]

Anyway, I'll either be doing the 48 hour thing like hehehehehe or I'll be just locking threads depending on what I think needs to be done.

dmorris68

18-04-2008 13:07:49

I don't know why this time thing is suddenly an issue when it hasn't been before, but we're having an unusual number of new people who can't seem to grasp the difference between forum time and their local time. So in order to help folks be aware of what the forum server lithinksli their local time is, I have added the local time display at the top left of each page, underneath the red newbie warning box.

As J4320 pointed out, [bb5c216503d]you must set your correct timezone in your profile[/bb5c216503d]. The US timezones as they equate to the profile GST settings are shown below for your reference

Eastern Standard = GST - 5 hours
Central Standard = GST - 6 hours
Mountain Standard = GST - 7 hours
Pacific Standard = GST - 8 hours

If the time is wrong, you have not set your timezone correctly in your profile. Or if it's one hour behind at the moment, your timezone is probably correct but the forum software does not recognize Daylight Saving Time (DST). As indicated the time shown is [bb5c216503d]Standard Time.[/bb5c216503d]

If you live in a DST zone as most US folks do, and want the forum to display your correct local time, you can go into your profile and set your timezone back one hour (ex if you are EST or GST-5, set it to GST-4). However you will have to reset it in the fall or it will be an hour ahead.

angylleyes

25-09-2008 13:00:18

OK So I got my thread locked, no warning gee thanks!! Anyhow how the heck long does it stay locked?? Sticky mod does not seem to want to answer that question for me. Geez what do you have to do to get information around here?

TravMan162

25-09-2008 13:57:38

[quotec2c35baef8="angylleyes"]OK So I got my thread locked, no warning gee thanks!! [/quotec2c35baef8]
Eh, wouldn't this thread count as your warning?

[quotec2c35baef8="angylleyes"]Anyhow how the heck long does it stay locked?? [/quotec2c35baef8]
Forever. You have to make a new one. But you have to wait 72 hours since your last bump in your last thread.

[quotec2c35baef8="angylleyes"]Sticky mod does not seem to want to answer that question for me. [/quotec2c35baef8]

Cut him some slack, he goes to a lot of school during the day. He's going to be richer than all of us someday. He's the future of the nation.

[quotec2c35baef8="angylleyes"]Geez what do you have to do to get information around here?[/quotec2c35baef8]

all the info is accessible and easy to find in the "rules" section. Read up a bit. You have 72 hours to get some good quality reading time done P

angylleyes

25-09-2008 15:28:06

Thanks and I did read and I realize I made a mistake, it was not done on purpose but since it seems that people are so unfriendly here I will probably just take my business elsewhere!!
As far as your comment about him going to school, thats fine it took him less then 5 hours to lock my thread but it has been 2 days with no response to my question!!!
I figured out why it was locked and did not have a problem with that all!!!! My problem is that I read everything I coulc all around the forum to try to find an answer to my question about how long the thread would be locked,THERE ARE NO ANSWERS POSTED!!!! Until now

dmorris68

25-09-2008 16:32:07

As a rule, threads are never locked temporarily, that's why you wouldn't find any information on a duration. When locking a thread is ever mentioned, you can assume it always means permanently. There are exceptions, but they are very rare, and the explanation is usually done within the thread.

The rules are pretty obvious, and the reaction to breaking those rules is consistent, it doesn't matter who you are. We don't play favorites. If that seems to you like we're being "unfriendly," then so be it.

angylleyes

25-09-2008 16:39:38

[quote8b9e930e2c="TravMan162"][quote8b9e930e2c="angylleyes"]OK So I got my thread locked, no warning gee thanks!! [/quote8b9e930e2c]
Eh, wouldn't this thread count as your warning?

[quote8b9e930e2c="angylleyes"]Anyhow how the heck long does it stay locked?? [/quote8b9e930e2c]
Forever. You have to make a new one. But you have to wait 72 hours since your last bump in your last thread.

[quote8b9e930e2c="angylleyes"]Sticky mod does not seem to want to answer that question for me. [/quote8b9e930e2c]

Cut him some slack, he goes to a lot of school during the day. He's going to be richer than all of us someday. He's the future of the nation.

[quote8b9e930e2c="angylleyes"]Geez what do you have to do to get information around here?[/quote8b9e930e2c]

all the info is accessible and easy to find in the "rules" section. Read up a bit. You have 72 hours to get some good quality reading time done P[/quote8b9e930e2c]
This last comment is the one I found offensive,,,for the last time I AM NOT UPSET ABOUT MY THREAD BEING LOCKED!!! I was looking for answers I could not find and I DID READ EVERYTHING!!!Travman but I guess you could not resist biting at me like that.

angylleyes

25-09-2008 16:46:18

[quoteabe6ca2f2a="dmorris68"]As a rule, threads are never locked temporarily, that's why you wouldn't find any information on a duration. When locking a thread is ever mentioned, you can assume it always means permanently. There are exceptions, but they are very rare, and the explanation is usually done within the thread.

The rules are pretty obvious, and the reaction to breaking those rules is consistent, it doesn't matter who you are. We don't play favorites. If that seems to you like we're being "unfriendly," then so be it.[/quoteabe6ca2f2a]
And I am sure you have heard the saying about making assumptions?
Now that I have had this discussion, if I choose to continue trading here, then I know the answer BUT you really should post it somewhere so that people can get the answers they are looking for without being made to feel like an idiot!
And just what do you mean by consistent reactions? Are you insinuating that I am having this reaction due to the fact that my thread was locked?Please read my other posts!! I KNOW WHY IT WAS LOCKED AND I AM NOT UPSET ABOUT THAT!!!!
I never asked anyone to play favorites.
Now you go back and read averything that was written in the last few posts and tell me you people are not unfriendly!!

TravMan162

25-09-2008 17:59:11

You people?

You people?

We're not unfriendly, but you asked a bunch of questions that have been answered 500 times and as a result, you got your answers, but with a hint of sarcasm.

If you consider that "biting" or "offensive," then dear lord please don't venture into Off-Topic.

For all of our sakes.

tucker1003

03-10-2008 09:51:02

TravMan - I couldn't have said it better. STAY AWAY FROM OFF TOPIC IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE OFFENDED.

dmorris68

03-10-2008 10:03:54

[quote5480e29565="angylleyes"][quote5480e29565="dmorris68"]As a rule, threads are never locked temporarily, that's why you wouldn't find any information on a duration. When locking a thread is ever mentioned, you can assume it always means permanently. There are exceptions, but they are very rare, and the explanation is usually done within the thread.

The rules are pretty obvious, and the reaction to breaking those rules is consistent, it doesn't matter who you are. We don't play favorites. If that seems to you like we're being "unfriendly," then so be it.[/quote5480e29565]
And I am sure you have heard the saying about making assumptions?
Now that I have had this discussion, if I choose to continue trading here, then I know the answer BUT you really should post it somewhere so that people can get the answers they are looking for without being made to feel like an idiot![/quote5480e29565]
Well, this will probably offend you too then, but I'll say it anyway you need to lighten up. You are taking things WAY too personally. Internet forums are hardly the comfy place for sensitive souls, so if you you are one, then be prepared for a lot worse than you've gotten in this thread. Which is entirely tame by comparison to what you'll find elsewhere.

[quote5480e29565="angylleyes"]And just what do you mean by consistent reactions? Are you insinuating that I am having this reaction due to the fact that my thread was locked?Please read my other posts!! I KNOW WHY IT WAS LOCKED AND I AM NOT UPSET ABOUT THAT!!!!
I never asked anyone to play favorites.
Now you go back and read averything that was written in the last few posts and tell me you people are not unfriendly!![/quote5480e29565]
The "reaction" I was referring to was not yours, but ours as the forum staff. We treat those who break the rules pretty consistently. We sometimes give new members a break and at least one chance before banning them, for example. A long term member who knows better will likely get a temp-ban if they break a major rule. But other than that, our reactions to rules being broken are fairly consistent, if I do say so myself.

As to this thread being unfriendly, I'm sorry but I don't see it. Like I said, perhaps it's a sensitivity issue, I don't know. In fact, I'd have to say that YOUR tone has by far been the most hostile and argumentative in this whole thread.