Hacking the Sony

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=981

enforce1

30-09-2004 22:29:24

I've heard that most TV's with component input can be hacked to allow HDTV. I know that there are several Samsung models that can do this... I was wonder if anyone could help me search for such a function.

keyspacer

01-10-2004 02:17:55

The TV still doesn't have the capasity to show the resolution of HDTV. Even if you could show a digital signal on the tv it probably would not be worth it.

Inferno69

01-10-2004 05:34:01

WTF! Your on crack dude, I have HDTV and its on a 54" obliviously not as good quality as a WEGA.... it doesnt matter what kind of tv, its the broadcaster.

keyspacer

01-10-2004 06:12:00

you do not have the resolution on a standard tv to properly show an HDTV show how it is meant to be seen. It is like how a 15inch monitor cannot display 1600,1200. It does not have the capasity to do so. Just because it is a high end tv, does not mean it is HD-READY! "its the broadcaster?" If you went out and bought one of those HDTV tuners for your computer, you would be able to watch broadcast HDTV on your computer monitor. BUT if you are viewing it at 800,600 you are not getting the full quality of HDTV. On a TV where you can only get about 640,480 resolution the signal would have to be translated into a non-HDTV quality stream. So, your only benefit would be to get your program in widescreen.

mapStuart

01-10-2004 08:26:50

The best thing you can do with the Sony is to use the 169 enhanced mode when viewing DVDs. This will concentrate the TV's 480 lines on just the 169 area of the screen, instead of wasting some of them on the black bars above and below, resulting in a crisper image. You need to make sure your DVD player is set to 169 mode and the DVD you're watching is enhanced for widescreen. Unfortunately, it seems alot of the Sony's have an oversqueeze problem with this mode (I have this problem) which is evident by the image being compressed when this mode is enabled. Google for this if you have the problem and you'll find some solutions.