Will a 20GB iPod fit the Photo Dock?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=9186

rolandcs

20-03-2005 15:13:11

I know it will fit, cause it's smaller than the photo, but will it be TOO small where it might be too loose and cause strain on the male connector on the dock??

I just got the photo iPod and am giving my 20GB to my wife. I just want to make sure hers would fit OK before I spend $40 on one. Anyone have a clue?? Thanks!

mapStuart

20-03-2005 18:43:40

I was going to say that the 20GB INSIDE a skin (like a Lajo exo2 or iSkin evo2) would probably give it the right amount of girth to fit better. The 20GB iPod is .18 inches (approximately 4.5mm) thinner than the 60GB photo iPod. Lajo's exo and exo2 (as well as others of Lajo's but not the exo3 or exo3x) and just about all the other silicon skins out there (iSkin, Speck, etc) are 2mm skins - so two sides is 4mm or close to a perfect fit.

However, the 2mm on the bottom might be enough to keep the connector from making a solid connection...

So, a bare 20GB with 2.25mm of space on each side, might put some decent strain on the connector, but I couldn't say for certain the amount or potential damage. I actually have both here right now - but haven't opened my 60GB photo iPod box yet.

mapStuart

20-03-2005 18:44:56

Oh, by the way, I bought an Apple dock on Ebay for $12 shipped - so I'd look around before spending $40 for the dock.