Is this acceptable?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=9130

stoavio

19-03-2005 19:38:17

I had my girlfriend signup and complete an offer using my computer so obviously the two signups (mine and hers) are from the same IP address. I'm well aware that accounts are placed on hold if they identify two or more of the same shipping address but in this case, all that's the same is the IP. She entered her home address and personal contact information.

Do you think Gratis will have any qualms with her signing up on the same computer I signed up on?

Thanks,

cdmanproductions

19-03-2005 19:47:15

knowing gratis either someone's getting put on hold or the referal is gonna get denied.

stoavio

19-03-2005 20:02:29

Really? Does it say anywhere in the Terms and Conditions that two people can't signup from the same computer? I read through the document but I may have overlooked that part.

cdmanproductions

19-03-2005 20:05:16

freebie sites are real bitches about people having the same ip.

i know from experience, i got one of my refearals denied cause i wasnt thinking when i had them signup for freehandbags.com

stoavio

19-03-2005 20:08:14

Strange. They're still getting legitimate sign ups and unique information from us both, so what does it matter if we used the same computer to sign up for the service? Are you certain they'll have a problem with this? I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere on the freeipods website.

I'll definitely be bummed it they do!

Collateral

19-03-2005 20:10:06

[quotee7a5845917="stoavio"]Strange. They're still getting legitimate sign ups and unique information from us both, so what does it matter if we used the same computer to sign up for the service? Are you certain they'll have a problem with this? I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere on the freeipods website.

I'll definitely be bummed it they do![/quotee7a5845917]

It says it somewhere. I'll find it and post here.

stoavio

19-03-2005 20:12:08

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it.

I just spoke with my girlfriend who is now at home and she says she hasn't actually completed any of the offers yet but she did sign up from my computer. I guess if they have a problem with this I'll just have her create a new account and start over from her PC.

Collateral

19-03-2005 20:14:17

V. HOLD
1. Common Reasons for Being Placed on Hold
(g) Any other reason or a combination of reasons at the sole discretion of Gratis Internet.

That's pretty much all I could find haha, I'm tired. Sorry, I skimmed through it and couldn't find a better quote explaning why you can be put on hold for it.

stoavio

19-03-2005 20:17:42

1. Referral Fraud
(a) Gratis Internet reserves the right to screen all referrals for signs of fraud. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to determine which referrals are fraudulent, and to not disclose the reasoning behind this decision.

This is the closest term I can find. I don't really think two sign ups from the same computer constitute an account being placed on hold. Like I said, both sign ups are legitiment.

stoavio

19-03-2005 20:26:48

I submitted a support request via their website so we'll see what happens. If anyone can shed some light on my question, by all means feel free.

Thanks!

moonfairy_2002

19-03-2005 23:12:32

my boyfriend and i did the same thing?!? Oh well if they don't count him as one of my referrals. He was only 1 of 10 that i have. I just don't want to be put on hold. They better not with all the referals i have!!!

stoavio

20-03-2005 08:19:26

Moonfairy, my main concern is that because the two of us signed up from the same computer, it's quite possible that she was aided in signing up (which is considered a walk through). Of course this isn't so but they really have no way of knowing that.

As far as using the matching IP address to determine whether the account is fraudulent or not, I think that it's unlikely they'll place our accounts on hold based solely on that. If they cross-referenced other information to find it was the same, then rightfully-so the accounts would likely be placed on hold. As I mentioned before, the information she entered was her own so the only thing that we share is the IP address.

Let me know how it works out.

Thanks!

jennie084

20-03-2005 10:34:04

I knew that one of they ways Gratis insures against having to send EVERYONE an ipod is by making lots of nitpicky rules that are clearly stated in the terms, but that the average person probably will not read. This is fully within their right.

I don't think that IP-address is mentioned specifically in their terms (which might be your loophole) but I refused to let my boyfriend sign up on my computer and made him use his own just to be safe.

As long as you have different addresses and are different people, hopefully you will be ok?

moonfairy_2002

20-03-2005 12:22:27

[quoted4ece771e4="stoavio"]Moonfairy, my main concern is that because the two of us signed up from the same computer, it's quite possible that she was aided in signing up (which is considered a walk through). Of course this isn't so but they really have no way of knowing that.

As far as using the matching IP address to determine whether the account is fraudulent or not, I think that it's unlikely they'll place our accounts on hold based solely on that. If they cross-referenced other information to find it was the same, then rightfully-so the accounts would likely be placed on hold. As I mentioned before, the information she entered was her own so the only thing that we share is the IP address.

Thanks![/quoted4ece771e4]

i did the same thing with my boyriend! we signed up on the same computer.

jennie084

20-03-2005 12:44:10

[quoted8d746b01b="moonfairy_2002"][quoted8d746b01b="stoavio"]Moonfairy, my main concern is that because the two of us signed up from the same computer, it's quite possible that she was aided in signing up (which is considered a walk through). Of course this isn't so but they really have no way of knowing that.

Thanks![/quoted8d746b01b]

i did the same thing with my boyriend! we signed up on the same computer.[/quoted8d746b01b]

Was your account approved?

tunaperez

20-03-2005 14:48:55

I did the same thing. I got put on hold but then explained what happened to Gratis and now I have my iPod.

dmorris68

20-03-2005 17:51:26

Gratis has said they do not use IP address alone to determine hold/approval. Which can only make sense because in a lot of environments multiple people will have the same IP -- cyber cafe's, public libraries, and nearly all employers that provide internet access to employees do so via a NAT firewall/router which will translate all internal private IP's to the same public IP. For example at my employer all several hundred people in my building with internet access ALL appear to come from the same IP. Gratis has to understand that.

stoavio

20-03-2005 18:24:40

Thanks for the good explanation dmorris. So you think it's safe to allow my girlfriend to proceed and complete the offer?

dmorris68

21-03-2005 14:25:13

Hard for me to say, but I'd think that if IP was the only similarity, and she used her own address and her own CC on the offer, then you'll probably be okay. At worst you can explain it to Gratis in a CS ticket if you should get put on hold. Other people have gotten off hold for more than that, so I'd think your chances are pretty good. Just my opinion of course, YMMV. )

stoavio

21-03-2005 18:05:00

I figured I'd post a follow-up as I did get a response from customer support.

[b2d8d4f1798]3/21/2005 23903 PM
customer service wrote[/b2d8d4f1798]

There is no explict statement regarding IP addresses. However, if this person is able to compelte an offer independent of you then we suggest that they do so.

stoavio

21-03-2005 18:06:39

Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it. I'll keep pluggin along and hopefully eventually get that iPod )