Question about possible trade in

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=8275

piratefan2118

09-03-2005 19:43:28

I was one of the fortunate to be in this most recent wave of processed iPods (est delivery date 3/10! ) ) I have read various places that you can take your unopened iPod to an Apple store, and pay the difference to a different level iPod. I am hoping to upgrade to the new 30G photo ones, and wondered if anyone had any advice. I've also heard that you can get a student discount in the upgrade scenario. I'm very new to this forum and even though I searched this question, I didn't receive a concrete answer. I am sorry if I missed a prior post, but I'm just elated I'll be getting my 20G for free tomorrow. All help will be greatly appreciated, thank you

CoMpFrEaK

09-03-2005 20:01:57

[quote3efb39c68e="piratefan2118"]I was one of the fortunate to be in this most recent wave of processed iPods (est delivery date 3/10! ) ) I have read various places that you can take your unopened iPod to an Apple store, and pay the difference to a different level iPod. I am hoping to upgrade to the new 30G photo ones, and wondered if anyone had any advice. I've also heard that you can get a student discount in the upgrade scenario. I'm very new to this forum and even though I searched this question, I didn't receive a concrete answer. I am sorry if I missed a prior post, but I'm just elated I'll be getting my 20G for free tomorrow. All help will be greatly appreciated, thank you[/quote3efb39c68e]

Yes you can do that

Saj0916

09-03-2005 20:10:04

Would you have to present a receipt or what would you say?

PodTopia

09-03-2005 20:45:08

HEHE. Go to the Apple Store, say "this was given as a gift". Then show a college ID (or you have to go online if you're younger) and you'll get the discount on the photo and end up paying like $25 (i didn't look it up). LOL, I should start selling a guide it's become so popular ).

Saj0916

09-03-2005 21:00:05

awesome thanks

CoMpFrEaK

09-03-2005 21:03:20

[quote47cb3ba743="PodTopia"]HEHE. Go to the Apple Store, say "this was given as a gift". Then show a college ID (or you have to go online if you're younger) and you'll get the discount on the photo and end up paying like $25 (i didn't look it up). LOL, I should start selling a guide it's become so popular ).[/quote47cb3ba743]

What if you have a high school ID?

RealtorKen

10-03-2005 06:41:31

What if your beyond having school ids?

hexmonkey

10-03-2005 06:52:31

[quotee937228e9e="RealtorKen"]What if your beyond having school ids?[/quotee937228e9e]

The school id thing is because Apple offers educational discounts. You need to show a valid ID in order to qualify. The exchange process is otherwise identical, you'd just pay more in the difference, since there's no discount.

RealtorKen

10-03-2005 06:59:57

Ahh so then my GF who is a teacher can walk in and get it.

Sweet!

amishjs

10-03-2005 07:08:23

Is this a pretty guaranteed thing that they will do this, or is it iffy?

The reason I ask is because I've been thinking of doing this too, but a trip to the apple store tonight will take up quite a bit of time, and I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow so I need to get a ton of other things done. If I can definitely get the education discount and trade in my ipod i'll do it in a heartbeat. How confident are you guys of this?

Also, do you think I should call and ask them first if they will do it?

hexmonkey

10-03-2005 07:40:47

[quoteaad2b1ce19="amishjs"]Also, do you think I should call and ask them first if they will do it?[/quoteaad2b1ce19]

Call and ask. Tell them you got an iPod as a gift. Say it wasn't the right one, because the person who bought it for you is very generous but knows nothing about iPods. Say you'd like to exchange it for a [U2, Photo, Shuffle, etc.], which is what you originally had asked for. Say you don't have the receipt, and you didn't ask where they bought it because you didn't want to seem ungrateful for such an expensive gift.

This will probably only work if you haven't already opened the iPod. They would tell you if the policy is otherwise.

LizM

10-03-2005 08:00:01

So how much $$ is the difference between the 30GB and the 20GB? With and without the discount? Has the 30GB even come out yet? Is it any bigger than the 20? Cus I just bought some cases for the 20GB.

Sorry for all the questions. I just need to know if it's worth it not to open the box when my ipod comes tomorrow. That's going to be really, really hard.

hexmonkey

10-03-2005 08:03:36

The 30Gb [bd51b3d9c0b]Photo[/bd51b3d9c0b] is larger, dimensionally. Dunno about the regular iPod 30Gb. Check the Apple website. And if anyone calls and gets an answer to this question, definitively, please post it here for the rest of us...

amishjs

10-03-2005 08:31:57

I was looking at the apple website and the 30gb photo only seemed marginally thicker. .63" vs .57" on the 20gb ipod. Will that really affect cases?

On another note, I was discussing this with a friend and he brought up a good point. If I go in and try to get the 30gb with education discount, will they only give me the education discount price in credit for the 20gb?

hexmonkey

10-03-2005 08:47:04

[quote70f63a0766="amishjs"]I was looking at the apple website and the 30gb photo only seemed marginally thicker. .63" vs .57" on the 20gb ipod. Will that really affect cases?[/quote70f63a0766]

That's about 1/8" difference. A quarter is about 1/8" thick. Depends on the case. Squishy cases, prolly not. Hard cases are another story. It all depends on the precision of the construction of the case.

[quote70f63a0766="amishjs"]If I go in and try to get the 30gb with education discount, will they only give me the education discount price in credit for the 20gb?[/quote70f63a0766]

I would call and see if the policy is to return at the "lowest possible sale price" or at the current selling price. Then when you go in, just return it without mentioning the education discount when you tell the story of the gift-giver. Get the credit and then say, "Hey I'm a [student,professor,etc.] at [insert name of .eduurl==http://=http:///url here]. Does the education discount on the website apply to the retail stores?"

Perhaps a better approach would be to get store credit first then go back later [or a different day] to redeem it with the edu discount. It all depends on their policy - if they give "lowest possible sale price" for returns w/o a receipt. Best way is to call first and ask about what you get for returns w/o receipt.

amishjs

10-03-2005 11:40:42

So I just called the Apple Store in NYC, and spoke to a lady there who was very nice (and also sounded pretty hot, but I digress).

She was very helpful and said it was not a problem to trade it in for the upgrade as long as its not open, and she said they would take the $30 off for the education discount if I showed college ID and driver's license.

SCORE! I'll post again after I get the upgrade.

piratefan2118

10-03-2005 13:12:42

I called my local Apple retail outlet, and the man I spoke to told me to bring in my school ID and unopened iPod and he'd switch it up for me, Thanks for all your help everyone!

craser

10-03-2005 16:56:22

just FYI .63 - .57 = .06. an eight is .125 and a sixteenth is .0625.

hexmonkey

10-03-2005 17:12:10

[quote7c62dcadfa="craser"]just FYI .63 - .57 = .06. an eight is .125 and a sixteenth is .0625.[/quote7c62dcadfa]

LOL DUH!

wow see this is what happens when I try to do math in my head. I must have been thinking .67 - .53 = .14

Good eye, craser! I knew I should have checked my work...

matt4444

10-03-2005 17:12:18

Can you get a discount with a highschool ID?

amishjs

10-03-2005 17:59:30

Just got home. I'm looking at my new Photo right now!! It was quick and painless. Just told them I got it as a gift but wanted the photo instead - then asked for the educational discount. $21.73 was the total!

2 months and $21.73 later, I've got myself an iPod Photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

riceroy

10-03-2005 18:11:39

ok i called apple store. they said you would of have to bought it from the apple store inorder to do an exchange. you have to provide a receipt.

LizM

10-03-2005 18:19:56

Thanks for the info, amish, hexmonkey, piratefan and craser! You guys were indispensable in my decision-making process. I think I'm going to upgrade, however I'm not going to try and use my old college ID (I graduated in '01). That would be cheating, and I'd always feel my ipod was somehow tainted.

With that in mind, I've put alot of work into getting this darn thing, and I want it to be something I'm really happy with. I figure I've come this far, I may as well go for an extra 10GB and a color screen!

My friend who lives across the hall in my apartment building is getting hers tomorrow too. Her husband says that upgrading would be greedy. I hope this isn't greedy. Of course, she got all her refs in a day, so maybe she doesn't feel as invested in this as I do. I've devoted WAY too much time and energy into getting this ipod for me not to be perfectly happy with it.

And craser... thanks for the math! The size difference is about half the width of a quarter, then. I'm getting a lajo case, so hopefully it will stretch to accomodate everything. Because since it shipped from Hong Kong, I really don't feel like sending it back.

I can't wait for tomorrow! I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!!! )

amishjs

10-03-2005 19:07:44

Riceroy, I'm not sure what happened with your store. Here is my story from start to finish....

After reading the earlier posts in this thread this morning, I called the store to ask if I could do it. I pretty much did everything hexmonkey suggested. I tried to be as charming as possible and said, "I got a 20gb ipod as a gift, but I think I really want the photo instead. I was wondering if I could bring it in and pay for the upgrade. I haven't even opened it yet." Sensing my charm D , the lady on the phone said that was not a problem as long as I don't open it; they would just give me credit towards the photo. I said "great!" and then slipped in, "Oh, I was also wondering....I saw on your website that you offer a student discount. Would I be able to get that price on the upgrade?" She told me no problem and said all I needed to bring was my student ID and my driver's license. At the end of the conversation, I asked for her name, just in case they gave me trouble when I came in at night.

I went in the evening, looked around for a bit and examined the display for a while (hadn't fully convinced myself to do it yet at that point). Then I just walked up to the counter and told them who I had spoken to and what I wanted to do (i.e. i got it as a gift, no receipt, want to upgrade w/ student discount). They didn't ask any questions about receipt or anything (other than asking me to show my IDs) and took care of it. I even got a receipt showing my warranty date and everything.

The funny part of it all was that there was a guy right behind me in line doing the same thing. We were both making such bullshit conversation like "that's the last time I let my mother buy me anything like this" etc. I wanted to ask if he got his free too, but there were too many apple folk around.

Some other helpful info;
I did this at the Soho store in NYC (Manhattan)
I am not a "real" student anymore - I graduated college last May but my student ID is still unexpired.

Liz, even though you are not a student, I say do it!! Let's face it, the reason we're all here is cause we're too cheap to just buy our own. So in the spirit of being frugal, be even more frugal!!! D

PseuFighter

10-03-2005 19:24:54

Thanks for posting! I'm a college student in New York so I hope to do the same at the SoHo store sometime next week when my iPod arrives. (ETA = 3/14!) -- Just wondering -- how much did you end up paying to make the exchange?

amishjs

10-03-2005 19:34:09

$21.73 exactly

Now that you bring that up, I also spent more on an AC adapter. At the last second before leaving I realized I wasn't sure if the iPod came with a AC adapter or not. I asked the nearest Apple person if it did and they said no and pointed me to where they were. They were $30, but I decided to get it since I travel a decent amount and don't want to lug my laptop around just to charge the ipod. Anyway, the point is, I got home and opened my ipod and saw that it did in fact come with a charger. So I'm gonna have to return the extra one. So contrary to what they tell you, the 30gb photo DOES come with an AC adapter.

riceroy

10-03-2005 19:35:42

alright ill try another store, or call again at another time.

riceroy

10-03-2005 19:40:58

ok i called. they said... that i can take it back to any apple store and exchange it with out a receipt. just as long as its NOT an HP model and its a original apple. (no hp markings or anything). any store will be able to take it.

amishjs

10-03-2005 19:43:03

Sweet! Good luck!

EatChex89

10-03-2005 19:43:14

okay cool. this solves all my questions.. i'll just call the apple store see what up and whos were. haha

LizM

10-03-2005 19:47:10

I dunno, I still somehow feel "dirty" doing this. Are you sure it's legal/moral and whatnot? I mean, if we pay for the upgrade, and Gratis paid for the ipod, Apple's not out any money, are they?

riceroy

10-03-2005 20:05:02

you followed every part legally, you did your 5 referrs plus your own sign up, gratis paid for the ipod from another company, gratis paid for shipping, dhl brings it, you take it, bring to apple store to exchange it. you give it back worth 299. you pay the difference of a photoipod dont know how much. which equals the full amount. you leave. and everyones happy. everyone gets paid and it all works out.

hexmonkey

10-03-2005 20:06:32

[quote91c5fe081b="LizM"]I dunno, I still somehow feel "dirty" doing this. Are you sure it's legal/moral and whatnot? I mean, if we pay for the upgrade, and Gratis paid for the ipod, Apple's not out any money, are they?[/quote91c5fe081b]

Nope. And it's not like the one you return gets thrown in an incinerator or something. They just put it on the shelf and give it to the next person who buys one. That's why it has to be unopened.

Now, it we were opening them and using them and then re-shrinkwrapping them, [b91c5fe081b]that[/b91c5fe081b] would be illegal/unlawful/immoral. If these were special, promotional models that were never meant to be sold(think "NOT LABELED FOR INDIVIDUAL SALE"), then it might be questionable.

The reason I suggested using a b.s. story is because if you sound unsure, it comes off as suspicious, and then your level of customer service is likely to drop a few points. Also, retail salespeople and their bosses aren't always the brightest lights on the string--I've seen many a well-meaning staff be completely wrong about company policy and claim something is against the rules when it isn't. Better to tell Jonny Applestore a simple story he hears all the time than something complicated he may or may not understand.

LizM

10-03-2005 20:36:14

Thanks for reassuring me, guys! I'm gonna go for it!

Jonny Applestore... wasn't he friends with Paul Bunyon?

EatChex89

10-03-2005 21:40:54

if you say you got it as a gift, you aren't lying.

you did get it as a gift, it was a gift from gratis to you for completing all the requirements.

so thanks amishjs for the info on the AC adapter... i'm gonna call my local store tomorrow and ask about returning and everything..

there still is one thing thats troubled me and I haven't obtained a DIRECT answer will apple give me store credit for the educational price of the iPod?? also, can you 'spend' store credit online?

amishjs

10-03-2005 21:52:29

EatChex, if I am understanding your question correctly, you're wondering if they will only give you the discounted amount of credit, since they're giving you the discounted price for the Photo. In other words, will they only give you $269 instead of the normal $299 retail value?

From my experience today, I got the full value of the ipod at $299. But then I did get the educational price for the upgrade. My receipt looks like this

iPod w/ClickWheel(20GB) ($299.00)
iPodPhoto(30GB) $349.00
Individual Educator ($30.00)
-------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total $20.00
Tax $1.73
Total $21.73

There was a bunch of other text in there, like part numbers, serial numbers, etc, but you get the idea. Essentially they rang both ipods up at the full price, and then threw in an extra line with the $30 education discount to bring it back down.

As far as your other question regarding online credit goes, I'm not really sure. My guess is that without a reciept they will only let you do a product-for-product swap in store. But who knows...give it a shot. Maybe say something like, I got this as a gift but would rather have the apple credit toward a custom mini-mac (or regular mac) online. That might work, because I don't believe they sell many customized machines through their stores.

EatChex89

10-03-2005 22:24:32

[quoteb706dad51c="amishjs"]EatChex, if I am understanding your question correctly, you're wondering if they will only give you the discounted amount of credit, since they're giving you the discounted price for the Photo. In other words, will they only give you $269 instead of the normal $299 retail value?

From my experience today, I got the full value of the ipod at $299. But then I did get the educational price for the upgrade. My receipt looks like this

iPod w/ClickWheel(20GB) ($299.00)
iPodPhoto(30GB) $349.00
Individual Educator ($30.00)
-------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total $20.00
Tax $1.73
Total $21.73

There was a bunch of other text in there, like part numbers, serial numbers, etc, but you get the idea. Essentially they rang both ipods up at the full price, and then threw in an extra line with the $30 education discount to bring it back down.

As far as your other question regarding online credit goes, I'm not really sure. My guess is that without a reciept they will only let you do a product-for-product swap in store. But who knows...give it a shot. Maybe say something like, I got this as a gift but would rather have the apple credit toward a custom mini-mac (or regular mac) online. That might work, because I don't believe they sell many customized machines through their stores.[/quoteb706dad51c]

yes you understood me perfectly, and answered my question perfectly -D thanks..

well as long as i get the full refund price of the iPod ($299) then i'm happy to get the iPod photo as a discount..
did you ring this all up at one time? or did you return it. then get the ipod photo?

kaymin

10-03-2005 22:54:17

ahh 3rd time someone is asking but can we use highschool id?????

amishjs

10-03-2005 23:48:01

EatChex, it was all one transaction for me. No "credit" in between. I just paid the difference from the exchange and got one receipt.

kaymin, it looks like no one knows whether they accept high school id or not. my guess is that they would, but I'm not really sure. I would suggest calling them, being polite, and saying "I am aware you have a student/education discount. I was wondering if that applies to high school students."

Good luck everyone.

kaymin

11-03-2005 06:56:24

ya, i'll have to do that when i come home from high school today

tampagrl

11-03-2005 09:09:34

I got a stupid question. Can I open the shipping box - is there another sealed box inside? I'm afraid to screw up a trade-in possibility. The shipping box says where it's from, etc. I would think there is another sealed box with the iPod inside but I don't want to rip open the box and find out I can't trade it in now.

hexmonkey

11-03-2005 09:15:49

[quote5e7ece119d="tampagrl"]I got a stupid question. Can I open the shipping box - is there another sealed box inside? I'm afraid to screw up a trade-in possibility. The shipping box says where it's from, etc. I would think there is another sealed box with the iPod inside but I don't want to rip open the box and find out I can't trade it in now.[/quote5e7ece119d]

D Hehe, yeah you can open the shipping box. Look in the gallery[=http//www.freeipodguide.com/images/gallery/]Look in the gallery for pictures of what's inside. Just don't break the shrinkwrap on the box inside.

hexmonkey

11-03-2005 12:33:14

I got my free 20Gb regular iPod today by DHL. I opened it and headed straight for the Apple store down the road at the mall. Walked in, exchanged it for a 30Gb iPod photo and paid $21.20(student discount). No problem whatsoever, though the young woman who helped me did have to go ask someone if an exchange w/o receipt was okay. She was probably new.

So only 5 referrals, $21 and I have a shiny new color display iPod photo!

It's the 2nd generation photo, so Apple kept the dock, case, A/V cable and the firewire(USB 2.0 instead). But hey, for $21, I can't really complain, can I?

penguin

11-03-2005 15:03:22

for people exchanging received items for others items at a student discount i tried to do that today and the guy at the register was giving me a hard time. he wouldn't let me receive full price store credit for my original item and then purchase the new items at a student discount. even after i said forget it just give me full price store credit and i don't want to do any exchanges, he wouldn't allow me to get full credit since i had already asked for a student discount. i finally said fuck it and went to the other apple store near me. i got the full store credit FIRST. then i made a separate purchase w/ my student discount. you should go that route just to be safe b/c other salespeople might give you a hard time as well.

dmorris68

11-03-2005 15:42:58

Well my wife works at an elementary school and has her photo ID, but I'm thinking screw it, I'm happy to pay the $50 non-discounted difference anyway. I just got my 5th green today and my iPod is in Approval status, so if nothing holds it up I just need to find my nearest Apple store...

Godrockdj

11-03-2005 16:07:03

The store near me in King of Prussia said I need a receipt, because "there are many places that sell iPods". Dangit! -/

LizM

11-03-2005 20:33:07

Godrock, that sucks! Yes, so many places that sell them, but only one company who makes them, so shouldn't it all even out for them eventually??

God I hope my exchange goes well tomorrow... I've gone all day without opening that beautiful, shiny box. Wish me luck!

penguin

11-03-2005 22:18:17

godrock,
go and try anyway. it might've just been the person on the phone giving you a hard time.

EatChex89

11-03-2005 22:39:04

i called my store the dude said that i'd have to ok with the manager but as long as it was sealed and an apple iPod there wouldn't be a problem..

if there is a problem, i'm just gonna keep the 20GB...

Tillertyler

11-03-2005 23:54:50

Today, I went to the only Apple retail outlet in Hawaii and was able to get an upgrade to the 30gb photo for only $20 (with student discount). They had to call the manager and they tried to check if the serial number registered in their computers (i think they keep a running registration database with all their nationwide apple stores) which it wasn't. He was reluctant and said that they normally don't do this because other stores sell it too, but keyed it through anyway. So i guess I was pretty lucky, but i don't think he'd do it if more ppl start asking for the same thing. Good luck with ur guys exchanges.

piratefan2118

12-03-2005 11:12:53

I'm just getting home from my trip to the Shady Side Apple store. The man who helped me gave me no problems, and talked more about my Red Sox hat than my trade in. I paid 21.40 (if i bought the iPod photo straight up, I would have payed more money in tax alone). In fact, I bought an iTrip, and payed 37 for that, nearly twice as much as the actual iPod! I can't be happier with my free iPod experience, thanks everyone for the help!

EatChex89

12-03-2005 11:17:30

[quoteb3c974f933="piratefan2118"]I'm just getting home from my trip to the Shady Side Apple store. The man who helped me gave me no problems, and talked more about my Red Sox hat than my trade in. I paid 21.40 (if i bought the iPod photo straight up, I would have payed more money in tax alone). In fact, I bought an iTrip, and payed 37 for that, nearly twice as much as the actual iPod! I can't be happier with my free iPod experience, thanks everyone for the help![/quoteb3c974f933]

congratulations!! i hope all goes well with me..

Godrockdj

12-03-2005 21:04:39

AGH! I'm so mad at myself. I should have gone in to the store and just tried it with someone there. But I was stupid and opened it before I thought of that. Dang it, I'm so mad.

EatChex89

12-03-2005 21:22:46

[quote63bf6e5592="Godrockdj"]AGH! I'm so mad at myself. I should have gone in to the store and just tried it with someone there. But I was stupid and opened it before I thought of that. Dang it, I'm so mad.[/quote63bf6e5592]

lol

fill it to the brim with music and sell it on ebay. yea it might be illegal, but the buyer will get in trouble for it later http/" alt=""/img116.exs.cx/img="116/8935/s6vhaha.gif[" alt=""/img63bf6e5592]

phorty

12-03-2005 21:32:41

there are genius's (or very deviant cheap bastards) on this board i swear! lol

great thread!!!! 8)

EatChex89

12-03-2005 22:44:12

[quote372c8a144e="phorty"]there are genius's (or very deviant cheap bastards) on this board i swear! lol

great thread!!!! 8)[/quote372c8a144e]

thank you..

even though i didn't start this.. http/" alt=""/img116.exs.cx/img="116/8935/s6vhaha.gif[" alt=""/img372c8a144e]

LizM

13-03-2005 11:46:56

My exchange story...

I went yesterday and brought in my 20GB. I told the guy that I recieved it as a gift a few days ago, but "I had kinda had my heart set on the new one... the 30 gig." I smiled and showed my enthusiasum for the new product. He ate it up and was like, "excellent choice!" Then he tried to ring up the old one and things started to go downhill. He said to hold on a minute, took the 20GB and went over to talk to a coworker. I heard him say something about "return with no receipt, do I blah blah blah..." Then he went in the back room. He came back out, tried to ring it up again, then went BACK to the back room. I was sweating bullets at this point but tried to act casual and was very patient, as if I was completely confident there wouldn't be a problem. I figured if I acted like there wasnt' a problem, he'd believe there wasn't a problem )

Dunno if it was my sneaky psychology or not, but he finally came out of the back room and said, "ok, I just had to make sure that it was bought on our website, which it was." I'm not sure if he could hear my sigh of relief or not, but he rang it up, did the exchange, and that was that!

I don't know where Gratis gets their ipods... I had always assumed they got them at a volume discount from a third party vendor. Thank goodness I was wrong though.

Cost me $54 something with tax. A small price to pay. It's beautiful! I'm lovin the color screen. And the extra 10GB gives me room to grow.

And an FYI, the lajo 20GB case does fit the 30GB, despite the small size difference. The fit isn't quite perfect though. I did alot of pulling and tugging to get it to work, and it still shows a teeny bit of naked ipod in some places.

Good luck to everyone else! We did it!!!!!!!!!

shadowjonez

13-03-2005 13:19:04

Just traded up for the 30gb and used my wife's educational discount. $20.65. Absolutely no problem.

riceroy

13-03-2005 20:35:31

how much is it with out the education discount? im not in college anymore.

shadowjonez

14-03-2005 06:32:36

I think it varies by what the college has set up with Apple. But for the 20 gig iPod to 30 gig iPod photo, it was about a $30 discount.

EatChex89

14-03-2005 07:43:50

[quote307dd0c239="LizM"]My exchange story...

I went yesterday and brought in my 20GB. I told the guy that I recieved it as a gift a few days ago, but "I had kinda had my heart set on the new one... the 30 gig." I smiled and showed my enthusiasum for the new product. He ate it up and was like, "excellent choice!" Then he tried to ring up the old one and things started to go downhill. He said to hold on a minute, took the 20GB and went over to talk to a coworker. I heard him say something about "return with no receipt, do I blah blah blah..." Then he went in the back room. He came back out, tried to ring it up again, then went BACK to the back room. I was sweating bullets at this point but tried to act casual and was very patient, as if I was completely confident there wouldn't be a problem. I figured if I acted like there wasnt' a problem, he'd believe there wasn't a problem )

Dunno if it was my sneaky psychology or not, but he finally came out of the back room and said, "ok, I just had to make sure that it was bought on our website, which it was." I'm not sure if he could hear my sigh of relief or not, but he rang it up, did the exchange, and that was that!

I don't know where Gratis gets their ipods... I had always assumed they got them at a volume discount from a third party vendor. Thank goodness I was wrong though.

Cost me $54 something with tax. A small price to pay. It's beautiful! I'm lovin the color screen. And the extra 10GB gives me room to grow.

And an FYI, the lajo 20GB case does fit the 30GB, despite the small size difference. The fit isn't quite perfect though. I did alot of pulling and tugging to get it to work, and it still shows a teeny bit of[b307dd0c239] naked ipod[/b307dd0c239] in some places.

Good luck to everyone else! We did it!!!!!!!!![/quote307dd0c239]

parental advisory!! EXPLICIT CONTENT!

kids. keep your eyes away from the naked iPod..

ok ok.. but that naked iPod thing was funny, i liked it -P

EatChex89

14-03-2005 07:44:35

[quotecb7bfd28a2="riceroy"]how much is it with out the education discount? im not in college anymore.[/quotecb7bfd28a2]

it's about $50 ...

haugster

14-03-2005 19:24:18

Is it true that the new 30gb Photo ipod don't come with some accessories? i.e. firewire, a/c adapter and that you need to buy additional software for it to actually sync with your computer and programs like iCal, etc.

Anyone have any info?

riceroy

14-03-2005 21:56:53

[quote6f6666d28b="haugster"]Is it true that the new 30gb Photo ipod don't come with some accessories? i.e. firewire, a/c adapter and that you need to buy additional software for it to actually sync with your computer and programs like iCal, etc.

Anyone have any info?[/quote6f6666d28b]

do your research. call an apple store and ask them whats in the box.

riceroy

14-03-2005 21:58:27

[quote601e083973="EatChex89"][quote601e083973="riceroy"]how much is it with out the education discount? im not in college anymore.[/quote601e083973]

it's about $50 ...[/quote601e083973]

alright. im getting mine tomorrow and my office is next to apple store at the mall. i guess im doing a trade in!

kaymin

14-03-2005 22:11:47

lucky! my approval is taking over 5 days thats so unfair!

diggity

15-03-2005 00:06:28

I received my ipod and went and exchanged it today for my 30 gig ipod. I love apple.

Diggity

tampagrl

15-03-2005 08:43:36

I got my 20gb iPod on Friday and headed out the Apple store first thing Saturday morning. At first, I was a little scared that I would be the one that got "busted." But, after a few minutes on the register, the helpful Apple clerk rang everything through and I got my hands on the magnificent 30gb iPod Photo! It was so easy!! Why wouldn't you do it - $50 w/out student discount; $20 w/student discount. AWESOME!!!!

PsychoAU

15-03-2005 08:55:06

Will they only take them if you say it is from an Apple store? Or will they take them no matter what as long as they are unopened?

The nearest Apple store to me is 4 hours away. (

PsychoAU

EatChex89

15-03-2005 13:20:59

[quotecb7fd28a1d="PsychoAU"]Will they only take them if you say it is from an Apple store? Or will they take them no matter what as long as they are unopened?

The nearest Apple store to me is 4 hours away. (

PsychoAU[/quotecb7fd28a1d]

say its a gift.

Godrockdj

15-03-2005 13:37:45

I am so freaking mad at myself. Happy for you guys, but reading all this just makes me more angry lol. Yes, I know, I got a free iPod and I am happy about that. But I missed seeing this thread like a couple of hours after opening my iPod -/

EatChex89

15-03-2005 13:49:06

[quotee944e263a7="Godrockdj"]I am so freaking mad at myself. Happy for you guys, but reading all this just makes me more angry lol. Yes, I know, I got a free iPod and I am happy about that. But I missed seeing this thread like a couple of hours after opening my iPod -/[/quotee944e263a7]

aww godrock, i'm sorry http//users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/1361.gif[" alt=""/imge944e263a7]

at least you got one.. if it makes you feel ANY better you can still try and sell it on ebay... and and AND.. you can always try for the photoipod ;-)

with your iPod as proof you can probably get a ton more people to sign up D.. now if you exchanged it, that'd be a little harder to do..

Blink0731

15-03-2005 15:40:48

can high schoolers get the discount i hope so lol

haugster

27-03-2005 11:02:41

So... I tried yesterday to trade my 20gig in for a photo iPod at the Apple store in Bellevue, WA. They wouldn't take it, saying that you cannot return or trade-in any iPods w/o a receipt.

I know this is a possibility and sometimes it just depends on the store and/or clerk. But I was wondering if this has been happening more recently... i.e. Apple store noticed a large amount of trade ins w/o receipt and decided to crack down.

Any knowledge/thoughts out there?

I'd love to be able to just go back a different day and try a different clerk... but I the closest Apple store is 4 hours away and I'm not in Seattle anymore.

jennie084

27-03-2005 11:52:25

[quote858b274733="haugster"]So... I tried yesterday to trade my 20gig in for a photo iPod at the Apple store in Bellevue, WA. They wouldn't take it, saying that you cannot return or trade-in any iPods w/o a receipt.

I know this is a possibility and sometimes it just depends on the store and/or clerk. But I was wondering if this has been happening more recently... i.e. Apple store noticed a large amount of trade ins w/o receipt and decided to crack down.

I'd love to be able to just go back a different day and try a different clerk... but I the closest Apple store is 4 hours away and I'm not in Seattle anymore.[/quote858b274733]

can you take it to best buy or circuit city or a place like that instead?

Collateral

27-03-2005 12:12:18

[quote66715f009a="jennie084"][quote66715f009a="haugster"]So... I tried yesterday to trade my 20gig in for a photo iPod at the Apple store in Bellevue, WA. They wouldn't take it, saying that you cannot return or trade-in any iPods w/o a receipt.

I'd love to be able to just go back a different day and try a different clerk... but I the closest Apple store is 4 hours away and I'm not in Seattle anymore.[/quote66715f009a]

I took my iPod to BestBuy and didn't need a receipt. They were very nice about it and never even asked why I was returning it, only asked for my license.

can you take it to best buy or circuit city or a place like that instead?[/quote66715f009a]

haugster

28-03-2005 09:59:08

really? Wow... I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

carpediem

29-03-2005 17:48:40

anybody been having problems exchanging lately......i've been calling around asking about returning mine without a receipt and they say that as long as they can verify the serial number on the box as being purchased in an apple store there is no problem exchanging it. But, I have a feeling if I went to the store they would reject me and tell me that it wasn't purchased at an apple store. Anybody think they've caught on and changed their policies???

mterlouw

01-04-2005 09:59:15

I received my 20Gb from freeipods on 3/30, and exchanged it yesterday at my local Apple store for the 30Gb photo. After student discount, the grand total was $21.75. Oh yeah.

benji_penguin

13-05-2005 13:22:37

Any word on whether they accept high school IDs? Or did I miss that post? hehe

tennis8363

13-05-2005 21:21:23

My plan all along was to get an iPod mini. However, I didn't want the weak battery life ones that Gratis was offering so I selected the 20 gb.

Now, has anyone tried this

My plan is to take the iPod back to either Apple or Compusa and and get store credit worth 299.99 the current retail on the 20 gb. I will then buy the new 6 gb mini and use the extra 50 bucks for accessories.

for anyone interested... the CompUsa return policy is very friendly for us free ipodders

If you do not have the original receipt, you may exchange unopened product for a CompUSA merchandise card. Items must be in new condition, with the original box, packaging, manuals, accessories, and UPC code.