The COMPREHENSIVE accessories thread

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=8143

PodTopia

08-03-2005 14:32:52

Seems like we're posting all over about "Pimp Your Mac Mini" or "Who's Going to Upgrade". Well, I figured we could consolidate it all. I'm getting my Mini in the next STV batch, and I was curious about which keyboard to get? I already have a Microsoft Optical Desktop (whichever is the nicest non-bluetooth one) and was thinking of buying a new keyboard. Any recommendations? Does anyone know of any All-In-One Remotes that work with El Gato's EyeTV and EyeHome (I'm turning my Mac into a media center).

adenosine

08-03-2005 14:39:22

I think the biggest Mac Mini accessory for me is going to be the KVM. I got this one off of newegg; it's boxed up ready to ship to me.

http//www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-107-417&depa=0

I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it.

I also got some usb keyboard, I hope it's got a good tactile feel. I couldn't find a usb microsoft or logitech one for cheap with a layout I liked for a price I liked. I've used a lot of crap cheap keyboards that felt like crap... if I don't like it I'll have to head down to CompUSA or Best Buy to where I can type on one before I get it.

DIGITALgimpus

08-03-2005 15:12:05

I think I'm going with a Belkin KVM switch. There are many problems with the IOgear's "keyboard detection software", especially if you use a wireless keyboard/mouse.

The Belkin is more expensive, but doesn't have that problem.

NeoWolf

08-03-2005 15:17:53

I'd recommend Apple's keyboard or any other one that's gonna provide you with a USB hub up close. Kensington has some nice ones and combos.
http//www.kensington.com/html/1412.html <- USB hub one.
http//www.kensington.com/html/6388.html <- Mac mini combo

adenosine

08-03-2005 15:18:05

I have a few Belkin kvm switches at work and I've been less that impressed. Maybe they are just defective, but I've had a lot of problems with losing mouse control, or ports failing.

As I said, once it comes I'll see how well its keyboard emulation software works.

PodTopia

08-03-2005 15:52:10

I need a wireless mouse/keyboard because it's going to be hooked up to my TV. I may splurge on the Logitech DiNovo (the bluetooth one).

NeoWolf

08-03-2005 16:00:47

Before you do that you need to keep in mind that Logitech's bluetooth accessories have no official support. That being said from what I know the keyboard and mouse work fine with internal bluetooth on Macs. I had read reports that the adapter was not compatible however one of my friends recently bought just the MX900 and it's bluetooth adapter works so I think a recent OS X update included the new bluetooth driver. (Get used to REAL updates for your OS 8) ) However to my knowledge (this too could be fixed) the media pad for that keyboard and mouse set is not compatible. Just a warning. Do your homework - that could be fixed now too. That being said, on supported devices OS X has top notch bluetooth support.

PodTopia

08-03-2005 16:45:09

Thank you NeoWolf. The only reason I was buying it was for the media pad. Now I may be looking just for an all-in-one remote, and for the gyration bluetooth keyboard (the one with the mouse with the gyroscope inside).

NeoWolf

08-03-2005 17:27:56

Sounds nice. Be sure to always double check compatibility. MOST devices are going to be compatible - especially USB input devices as almost all of those at least support the basic standard. However bluetooth support has been spotty from both MS and Logitech (none officially on either front though for a while I was using the first gen MS Bluetooth Explorer.) You can check some Mac forums and Logitech forums to see if the media pad's working now though. It's possible it is but you should definitely check first.

PodTopia

08-03-2005 19:28:53

CRAP! This from diNovo
[quote67a2b630f5]System Requirements

li IBM®-compatible system without Bluetooth pre-installed
li Windows® 2000 or Windows® XP[/quote67a2b630f5]. Anyone know if you can still use it???

NeoWolf

08-03-2005 19:35:16

Like I said, I know for a fact that the keyboard and mouse are compatible. However I've only heard of one case of the bluetooth adapter itself working. (This is a friend I talk to regularly online so I'd consider it reliable but I don't want to be held responsible if he's somehow wrong either!) To my knowledge the media pad is not compatible. (I've heard of it working on some buttons but not all.) Even if it's compatible, the Logitech Control Center for Mac does NOT support it so your special buttons will not work. This may change in the future but I do believe Logitech has actually stated that for now they don't care about bluetooth compatibility on the Mac.

alexvega

09-03-2005 10:43:45

so anyone know where i can score a bluetooth/airport kit?

NeoWolf

09-03-2005 11:17:10

You can't. They're not available anywhere yet. Once Apple Stores start carrying them (for them to install for you), then I imagine it'll be possible to pick it up OEM online.

alexvega

09-03-2005 13:24:35

righton, i'll keep looking around. Thanks for the info neowolf