Anyone else get distortion at higher volumes on their iPod?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=804

Artanis262

27-09-2004 18:06:44

I recently received my iPod, and brought it with me to listen to on the bus on the way to school today. Well, the bus gets pretty loud, so I had to turn my iPod up in order to adequately hear the music. I noticed on some songs, at higher volumes (after a little more than halfway up the total volume), the bass would distort the rest of the audio (as in, I wouldn't hear certain notes and tones, or the music playing while some of the bass was going would seem to have a vibration effect). I tried a different set of earphones, tried different equalizer settings (even bass reduction), but it still did the same thing. Is this a common problem on iPods, or should I get it looked into? Either way, I still got the thing for free, so whatever. lol

davidatfsu

27-09-2004 18:22:27

[quotea7610d0950="Artanis262"]I recently received my iPod, and brought it with me to listen to on the bus on the way to school today. Well, the bus gets pretty loud, so I had to turn my iPod up in order to adequately hear the music. I noticed on some songs, at higher volumes (after a little more than halfway up the total volume), the bass would distort the rest of the audio (as in, I wouldn't hear certain notes and tones, or the music playing while some of the bass was going would seem to have a vibration effect). I tried a different set of earphones, tried different equalizer settings (even bass reduction), but it still did the same thing. Is this a common problem on iPods, or should I get it looked into? Either way, I still got the thing for free, so whatever. lol[/quotea7610d0950]

I noticed this effect on an old mp3 player I had (MuVo). I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that you're listening to lossy audio on earbuds. I'd try the earphones with the same file straight out of your computer. That might tell you if the file just sucks.

It seems like the distortion shouldn't be THAT bad though. What does everyone else think?

snak3y3z1001

27-09-2004 18:30:41

got the same problem. think its ecause of the earphones. gonna buy me someone new ones soon.

DisastirousMurmur

27-09-2004 18:31:15

it happens with all the MP3 and cd players, it could be couse the song quality isnt at its best, and the headphones could be messed up, it used to happen on my mp3 player, but then i bought better head phones, and the bass was still there but it was alot clearer

Artanis262

27-09-2004 18:35:03

I just tried my earbuds on my computer and the same songs that sound distorted on the iPod sound fine whe coming from my comp. Weird...........

mactel

28-09-2004 08:37:54

i hear the ear buds on the hp are much worse than the apple- does this have anything to do with the distortion?

sweetened

28-09-2004 09:07:38

those earphones suck soooooooooooooo bad. SO bad. unbelievably bad.

i got a pair of $10 ones from Virgin that are 10x better. I don't understand why they would do that. They have the ultimate branding accessory. you walk down the street, you see nothing but ipod earphones. wow.

psykoalby

29-09-2004 15:15:03

Well if you use EQ then of course it will distort. I think you just have bad quality mp3's. I turn my volume up 3/4 while in the bus and I've never had distortion or what not.