Why does Gratis even ask you to refer your family?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=8021

Andrew

07-03-2005 12:43:37

To Make this clear I have referred 2 of my brothers and am planning on referring the last one and they all live in different places and have their own billing info etc but seriously.

Gratis has placed the two who have done the referrals already on hold because their last names are the same?

I didn't even have to request approval for it but seriously why say you can refer family and friends if they don't want to give you them, even when your family lives hundreds of miles apart.

shadowjonez

07-03-2005 13:22:47

My family has signed up for all the free offers I've done, and I've never once been on hold.

carpediem

08-03-2005 11:25:08

The only thing that I can think of is they all signed up from the same computer/IP address???

dcrainmaker

08-03-2005 11:36:28

I've never had a problem with my family signing up with gratis. hell, I've never had a problem with gratis period. they set the standard as far as I'm concerned.

Andrew

08-03-2005 12:38:30

They've made my life difficult and I haven't done a thing wrong.

jsk1973

09-03-2005 08:40:47

Andrew...

I think you ask a really good question...and I've actually asked Gratis this very question myself. (They have never responded...)

I posted this in another thread as to what happened to me when my brother signed up

My brother signed up as one of my referrals. (He lives over 300 miles away from me...) He had heard about the offer and said he would sign up to complete and offer for me because he wanted to do it too. And here it is

He used his own computer, his own email and mailing address, and completed an offer. Everything was fine until I submitted my account for approval and then both he and I were put on hold....and we are still on hold.

What makes this frustrating is that Gratis can't or won't say what we actually did wrong. I've been emailing them using their little customer service form since November, and all I get back is either form letter responses or different reasons as to why we are on hold...but none of them are true. They range from just plain "suspicion of fraud" to my favorite reason, "information in our database". What does that even mean? They also claim I "walked him through it".....which I didn't.

The thing that makes this infuriating is that you read the boards and some people get through doing this very thing, and others don't. Gratis doesn't really have set rules for this stuff, and it in the end the approval is random based on who is doing the approving. As it stands right now (3/9/05) the Washington DC BBB is looking into a complaint I filed. They did say that based on Gratis' track record they are "unsatisfactory" in the way they treat customers. Hopefully something will come of it. I don't care how many people HAVE gotten Ipods through Gratis...running a company with no customer service, no real set of rules, and a agreement clause that makes whatever they do and decide "OK" is simply wrong and no way to run a business.

Jeff

Andrew

09-03-2005 11:40:27

How do they define walking through? I think it's defaintly a cop-out as they tried to use that on me until I argued against it.

craser

09-03-2005 13:37:34

...running a company with no customer service, no real set of rules, and a agreement clause that makes whatever they do and decide "OK" is simply wrong and no way to run a business.

they answered my questions in 2 days and took me off hold (my brother signed up under me). As far as their agreement clause, well thats completely legal, just gratis covering their ass. on any gratis site, at the bottom it says "By signing up you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy" so there is not much you can do.

jsk1973

09-03-2005 22:49:16

[quote463bed3e22="craser"]they answered my questions in 2 days and took me off hold (my brother signed up under me). As far as their agreement clause, well that's completely legal, just gratis covering their ass. on any gratis site, at the bottom it says "By signing up you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy" so there is not much you can do.[/quote463bed3e22]

Great for you....the problem is they have NO consistency with this. As I said before, I could care less how many people HAVE received Ipods. That isn't the issue. The issue is that they arbitrarily decide what is right or wrong based seemingly on whoever is doing the approval at that time and then give bullshit reasons as to why you have been put on hold. The reason I am pissed is that I have personally gone round and round with them since November, and I never did anything wrong. They can't prove anything, and rather than just take me off hold, they make up new reasons every time I prove them wrong and then refer me back to terms and conditions. Your right, they are "covering their ass" but that doesn't make it right, and eventually it will bite them in the ass.

Jeff

Evan Grant

10-03-2005 03:39:43

[quotefbb8ca8b09="Andrew"]They've made my life difficult and I haven't done a thing wrong.[/quotefbb8ca8b09]

Theyve made your life difficult???

OH NO IM GETTING A FREE 200 DOLLAR IPOD, BUT DIDNT FOLLOW THE RULES, AND DONT WANT TO MAKE AN EFFORT TO READ THEM!!!

GRATIS YOU BASTARDS WHY IS THIS SO HARD!!!!

Putz... roll

Andrew

10-03-2005 17:07:42

Except I really did follow all fo the rules.

Sucks having the same last name.

Guess its a crime

kevxross

10-03-2005 17:27:54

I know this is off topic a bit and I apologize, but does anyone know if OC is picky like this? I was gonna get my bro to sign up under me, but now I'm a bit leary.