IP Tracking

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=7665

my04accord

02-03-2005 21:09:08

I heard this terrible rumor that gratis tracks ip addresses. I have 2 referrals (legit) made from the same computer. Should this effect my account?

Also is it ok to use the same CC# twice. I have a friend who is willing to do it but is afraid to give their cc#

EpidemiK

02-03-2005 21:16:39

haha, it's not a rumor

ougijoe

02-03-2005 21:36:56

yeah... that won't work.

Stroid

02-03-2005 22:49:31

my04accord im going to assume you are a serious noob...use our search function it will help you alot and you wont piss me off. And read the TOS for gratis that will help to.

my04accord

03-03-2005 08:45:12

that sucks though all my offers were legit. I contacted gratis to try and get it straight.

Phbs83

03-03-2005 09:10:24

Good luck) Trying to explain this to Gratis is hard, and using the same CC twice is a HUGE "no-no")

my04accord

03-03-2005 13:41:06

IP address is just one of a number of sources of information we track and use to evaluate user accounts.

That is what i got back from gratis which leads me to beleive I will be ok.

Andrew

03-03-2005 20:29:47

You are so screwed

LizM

03-03-2005 20:57:43

I hope it works out for you! That would be uncharacteristically lenient of them if they let you off the hook. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya ;)

venom7

04-03-2005 00:12:23

[quote19c0d74b7c="Andrew"]You are so screwed[/quote19c0d74b7c]

hahahaha, nice. i think you guys are making gratis seem more strict than they actually are (of course i could be, and probably am, wrong). it seems to me that gratis wants to get as many legit referrals as possible (more moolah for them), i dont think they would not give you credit for those referrals just because they were made from the same computer, as long as you explain to them that it was actually 2 unique people.

dcrainmaker

04-03-2005 07:18:02

I, personally, think you'll be fine if the IP issue is truly all you're facing. Obviously, the same CC # ain't gonna cut it.

Not sure what some of you guys are referring to with regard to Gratis' strictness. I've found them to be very understanding.

Archon810

04-03-2005 08:57:52

how in the world will gratis find out about the credit card? u dont give them the number, and i seriously doubt the company you paid will give them the number.

Redundancy

04-03-2005 10:37:06

Eh...

It depends. Sometimes Gratis is nice to you, sometimes they're not.

If you have people who signed up from the same computer, you can consider yourself screwed. You might have a chance if you explain to them what happened and if they're nice they'll give you another chance to replace those referrals. If theyre not so nice they'll just place your account on hold indefinitly.

my04accord

04-03-2005 18:10:49

thanks for the help and thoughts. ill post on what happens

mr0x

04-03-2005 18:37:43

Well, Gratis can ask for the last 4 digits of the credit card used. It's quite rare that two CC#s have the same last 4 digits.

OK, math exercise. What is the probability that two referrals have the same last 4 digits (in 5 referrals) - 1/2000
(I'm assuming that credit cards can have any last 4 digits which probably isnt' true).

agibby5

05-03-2005 13:06:36

Do they track your IP address when you sign up and everytime you access your account? If so, this is a fairly unreliable source of fraud prevention for the following example. I am a college student who lives at college and my mom is one of my referrals. Sometimes I go home to visit and get some good homecooking. What if I access my account on the same computer she checks her account on? Thanks.

mister

07-03-2005 09:29:38

If you us 56K (dial-up) chances are you have a different IP every time you get on the internet.

Archon810

07-03-2005 10:17:05

[quote9b0dbb8508="agibby5"]Do they track your IP address when you sign up and everytime you access your account? If so, this is a fairly unreliable source of fraud prevention for the following example. I am a college student who lives at college and my mom is one of my referrals. Sometimes I go home to visit and get some good homecooking. What if I access my account on the same computer she checks her account on? Thanks.[/quote9b0dbb8508]

that would be pretty ridiculous... i hope it's only by IP registered.

agibby5

08-03-2005 16:51:25

[quote67f1f0d690]that would be pretty ridiculous... i hope it's only by IP registered.[/quote67f1f0d690]

I think that is an outrageous way of determining fraud. There is NO way to determine fraud simply by tracking IP addresses of the member signin's. I would go as far to say that it would be an unethical way to disqualify members of the freeipod site. I hope it doesn't happen to me because I'd be pissed.

taksun

08-03-2005 18:53:17

They do it based on the IP address when you register for the first time. I checked my freeipod regularly at my mom and my GF's house and they both signed up from the same computer I had logged in on. My buddy at work and his sister both registered on his same computer and he was promptly put on hold and told this was the reason.

hovigga

08-03-2005 18:59:03

Its not rumor buddy. Its the real deal biatch!

Eh, just picking.

They are strict, but, I think they are getting a little bit more forgiving. I think that if you send them a cust. service ticket, that is understandable (not saying your refs are legit), but, they if it sounds good, they will most likely understand. Thats how they were with me.

Everybody gives them a bad name, like they dont like to satisfy their customers or something, but really, if you work with them, and arent a complete ass when you talk to them, they are pretty forgiving.

dmorris68

09-03-2005 14:16:11

No way that IP tracking is a reliable fraud prevention tool by itself, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

For example, my employer has about 500 people here in this building alone that access the internet through a NAT firewall... meaning the IP address detected is THE SAME for all 500 of us. Same with me at home on my LAN, all 7 PC's appear to come from the same IP. The same would be true of any public library or internet cafe. It's just too common a scenario for the same IP to be associated with multiple people and computers.

I would imagine that a combination of name, shipping addresses, IP addresses, and possibly any CC info they can get from the offer sponsors would be used to determine fraud.

Using IP tracking alone would be akin to using the same First Name + Last Name as a criteria for detecting fraud. I give Gratis more credit than that.

rockykabir

23-10-2005 19:24:07

Our internet explorer is set to prompt whenever a cookie is assigned. We have found that cookies have been used in [b550076b704]all [/b550076b704]cases which includes

- Registration
- Email Verification (even before you click the "verify" button in Outlook (or your web based mail browser), viewing the images automatically acquires a cookie)
- Logging in to check status

I dunno if Cookies are used to track IPs but I thought I'd tell ya anyways

dudelovesFinch1035

23-10-2005 21:15:57

[quote5dc17b83a5="mr0x"]Well, Gratis can ask for the last 4 digits of the credit card used. It's quite rare that two CC#s have the same last 4 digits.

OK, math exercise. What is the probability that two referrals have the same last 4 digits (in 5 referrals) - 1/2000
(I'm assuming that credit cards can have any last 4 digits which probably isnt' true).[/quote5dc17b83a5]They can't check your cc,all they go by is by IP addresses and addys and stuff they don't even check ccs dumbass its the advertisers that do.

Sarak000

23-10-2005 21:40:05

I made the mistake of signing up at my parent's house while I was visiting them, and then reffering one of my parents. We had the same IP address but different shipping addresses, Credit cards, emails, etc.

I was real worried about this so I PM'd Jake. He politely told me that if the two accounts (mine and my parent whom I reffered) are truly legit then I dont got nothing to worry about. That has put me at ease quite a bit.

rockykabir

23-10-2005 21:46:19

What happens if your IP addresses are similar?

My university reserves static IP address for each room. A lot (well most) of my referrals are from my uni. They are all shipping to their home addresses (i.e. not our uni addresses-in case this creates a conflict).

We used whatismyip.com and found that all of our IP address were in the form 1.163.XX.XX (where the XX's represent different numbers). Is this gonna be okay?

tuxmaskone

23-10-2005 21:52:09

I am sure next-door neighbors on the same dsl network would have very similair IPs, but obviously are truly unique accounts. And there is no rule against next-door neighbor referrals. So you should be fine as long as you have different shipping addresses.

rockykabir

23-10-2005 22:12:27

phew....thats a relief. Got really worried after reading a couple of posts round here.

They say its free but its unbelieveable the amount of work you have to put into this sometimes ;) Trying to convince my friends that this isn't a scam whilst keeping my dignity ain't no easy feat! D