Help, something shady? fake site getting info?....

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=752

sweetened

26-09-2004 22:29:31

so now i'm kinda nervous b/c she said she's getting emails already from people asking for her information. is the offer still up? any idea if anything shady could be going on, like a fake ebay link?

oh i will feel so freakin' bad if it could be. i asked her to forward the emails she's gotten.

sorry for the 100 new posts. )

hacktek

26-09-2004 22:31:09

The ebay offer is long gone...she might have done the credit card one but i doubt the she would be receiving a lot of spam from that...

sweetened

26-09-2004 22:35:19

My friend just emailed me this (were would the pop up have come from?)
Well, a link popped up for some other offers(a couple windows popped up when I logged on) and one of the online offers I had an option to complete was for Ebay...so I am guessing that is how they got the Ebay idea...maybe they were pretending to be Ebay and saying that they needed more info or something.
I deleted the e-mails already, though. ( I didn't get many e-mails..just about 3 or so. One from a guy named, Jeffrey something, one Ebay, and one from "Free Offer".

sweetened

26-09-2004 22:38:41

AND she said her ebay offer came from a POP-UP! when she logged on to freeipods.com, where in the heck could a shady link have come from?

sweetened

26-09-2004 22:44:34

and does anyone know if freegiftplanet.com would have popped up? and do litheyli still have the ebay offer?

DisastirousMurmur

26-09-2004 23:10:21

its not that hard to put a pop up on a site, but its illegal, and u can get into alot of shit

sweetened

26-09-2004 23:12:12

she said she never got a confirmation from either offer site, freegiftplanet.com nor freeipods.com, but i have her as joined (but not completed) on my referral list. i'm really worried.

ThisSunAlsoRises

27-09-2004 00:46:37

I got an email asking me if i wanted to sign up at freeflatscreens.com.... ooooh scaaaary.

sweetened

27-09-2004 01:30:40

she didn't get that. she got an offer for ebay and then email spoof letters right after she signed up.

IpodFace

27-09-2004 03:19:18

Never give password/SSN/CC or any of that info in an email and you should be fine, ebay will never ask for that in an email, no company will.

sootroom

27-09-2004 06:15:32

I made a disposable email address for FFS and FIP and you know how much spam I got from them?

NONE!

I'd be willing to guess that your friend got spam to that email address before she signed up. The ebay pop up was probably from another site or she has spyware installed on her computer. This is the first I've heard of any ebay pop ups coming from freeipods and if it were true MANY people would be talking about it here.

Not to be rude, but it looks like your friend is either confused or using a virus/spam/spyware infested PC to do her work.

dave58624882

27-09-2004 06:50:54

Whatever he said ^^^

I also made a new e-mail address for my Gratis accounts and I get NO spam at all. The pop-up is probably from spyware. Gratis does NOT spam it's clients. The only e-mails I got were from ebay, as I was a member after doing the offer.

Santa

27-09-2004 06:57:25

Im not getting spam with Gmail too, at least give me some to see what they are like but noooooooooooooo, no spam for me '( p