Where are the xbox's???

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Tib

28-02-2005 14:18:12

Anyway have any clue to who the vender is so someone can contact them and see when they might get them in stock and send them out??

josiah296

28-02-2005 15:34:06

no idea who the vendor is. no idea when they'll ship. we're in an endless limbo....

Crynos

28-02-2005 15:45:13

I hope they ship as soon as my order goes through )

mapStuart

28-02-2005 16:36:26

[quote81bb4076d1="josiah296"]no idea who the vendor is. no idea when they'll ship. we're in an endless limbo....[/quote81bb4076d1]My guess is that Gratis uses the same vendor for the XBOX as they do for the PS2s - FillPoint in Mechanicville N - http//www.fillpoint.com/[]http//www.fillpoint.com/. Any brave soul out there wanna call and see what the ETA is on them getting XBOXs..? Why can't I want a PS2 or DS?

kaymin

28-02-2005 17:42:45

I think its them too becuase my nintendo ds came from there

Adisin

01-03-2005 06:06:23

school got canceled so I hope it comes today

josiah296

01-03-2005 10:51:17

alright, just got off the phone with a lady at Fillpoint, and she said they dont' have any x-boxes and have no idea when they'll be getting them in. She also said there's rumors floating around that Microsoft ISN'T making very many because they're planning on releasing a new X-BOX, so they just don't really care about getting more regular x-boxes out there.

I asked her if she KNEW of any people who had X-Boxes, and she said if she did that they'd probably be calling them trying to get x-boxes from them.

She did say that her boss, the regional sales director guy who knew more about things was out of town for the week, and that she didn't really know everything that was going on.

But to be fair, she actually sounded really evasive. She was obviously intelligent, but kinda seemed to be trying to avoid answering any of the questions. It does make me wonder if there IS a new x-box coming out asap.

But what does that mean for our gamingsystem orders? Can I cancel my order and order a DS instead?

Adisin

01-03-2005 11:10:36

haha good job, but yeah this sucks, i really wanted to play my xbox today

mapStuart

01-03-2005 11:12:22

I knew if I threw it out there josiah was the man for the job!!

I'm pretty certain the soonest a new XBOX would come out would probably not be until November at the earliest (if even then), according to some of the rumormills out there. However, I wouldn't put anything past old Microsoft, but I seriously doubt it would be in the next 6 months...

We need to get on the horn with Gratis and see what's they're thinking.

new2scene

01-03-2005 15:31:47

[quotea0714a0ec2="mapStuart"]
I'm pretty certain the soonest a new XBOX would come out would probably not be until November at the earliest [/quotea0714a0ec2]

I think by a new xbox they mean a new design of the old one. Like the new "slim" PS2. I asked a friend of mine at Gamestop yesterday if he knew what the delay was and he said it had to do with the Chinese New Year. My personal opinion would be either a new xbox design or new motherboard design again to try and slow down modders again.

josiah296

01-03-2005 15:32:35

If I had a # for Gratis, I'd give them a call. I just got a message my account from them saying they'll ship the systems as soon as possible, my concern is is that it isn't GOING to be possible since Microsoft wont be making/shipping anymore X-Box, or wont ship ENOUGH.

I mean, its widely known that Microsoft looses money on every X-Box it sells, but makes it up through licensing and software. My question is are they simply NOT making anymore since they want to shift all "money lost" into the X-Box 2?

josiah296

01-03-2005 15:34:33

I also spent about 20 minutes today talking to a million different microsoft people trying to figure out if it was possible to GET any more x-boxes.

Didn't have a whole lotta sucess. I finally got some manager who pretty much refused to talk to me or tell me anything. And that I'd have to check with their approved "distributors" or something like that. I told them I HAD, and they didn't have any x-boxes.

kaymin

01-03-2005 15:43:18

there would be an announcment well before they stopped making Xboxs the Chineses New year makes sense, that on top of the price cut make it in very high demand.

http//www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/44875/44875.html

read that

josiah296

01-03-2005 15:50:41

see, that's what scares me. The X-Box was out of stock TWO MONTHS ago, and they HAVEN'T shipped any new ones. at all. I think Microsoft is well, just not making anymore, at least not with any volume. I'm gonna get a DS, or a slimline PS, and pawn it and grab an x-box.

if I can get gratis to cancel my order and re-order a DS or Slimline PS

Tib

01-03-2005 16:04:30

only problem is once you get sent to vender you can't cancel your order and order something else. I just want to know if we'll be seeing the xboxs or not. The Xbox 2 or whatever it is going to be called isn't expected to be released until nov-dec or early next year...they are expecting the "displays" to be put on at E3 this year.

Tib

01-03-2005 16:05:21

I mean if i could cancel my order and redo it i'd go for a DS even though i don't want one.

Dooper

01-03-2005 16:48:44

This is ridiculous....
They cannot cancel shipping XBOX's after what we have done to get it. It's a long process and we demand our XBOX's..

mapStuart

01-03-2005 17:03:57

relax dooper - we'll be taken care of. XBOX's will come back into the channel. I personally doubt they'll enter a completely redesigned XBOX (although I would certainly like a thinner, more sexy one), but a new mobo revision could very well be in the works.

Tib

01-03-2005 17:30:16

plus i really doubt they would just stop making the xbox without a new system being out for awhile. That would completely cut off new customers from being xbox and software titles which is where they make their money. when the ps2 came out sony didn't just stop making ps's but slowed them down .

Lunarpancake

01-03-2005 17:32:21

heres the info direct from gratis........

" hahahah those suckers thought they were getting Xbox's!!"

j/k....im still waiting on mine too, but it feels like gratis is laughing at me

josiah296

02-03-2005 06:11:44

Look, I'm seriously wondering if Microsoft just isn't going to bother making any more X-Boxes. They loose money on every one they sell, and the time-frame for making money off licensing and games is such that the margins on returns for making a profit on producing and shipping a bunchof new OLD x-boxes probably isn't big enough to warrant it.

So I'm thinking they're thinking the just stop making old x-boxes and funnel all the money they would spend on LOOSING new OLD x-boxes into the NEW NEW x-boxes, if that makes any sense.

I'm seriously thinking we're gonna get screwed, because you know the X-Box two aint gonna be no 4 damn referrals, more like 8

mapStuart

02-03-2005 09:59:00

I disagree. One, its been a LONG time since the XBOX originally came out. If they're still losing money on the hardware now - its VERY limited. Their manufacturing abilities and margins on these parts is such that now I'd imagine they may even be breaking even on the hardware. The processor and graphics chips inside the XBOX are now rather old and utilize older manufacturing practices that are considerably less expensive today than they were when the product launched.

I could very well be wrong - but it makes ZERO sense for Microsoft no longer produce the old XBOX - it would be utterly stupid. They'd be sending potential customers to competitor products, they'd not be supporting the potential of a recently released mega-game (Halo 2), all to divert funds to the new XBOX? I don't think so. Microsoft wants to have as many converts to their platform as possible when they decide to introduce their next version of their console.

josiah296

02-03-2005 10:23:37

mapStuart

I don't think Microsofts margins of loss are as small as you think, if you recall when the X-Box first caming out listing at around $300 Microsoft said publically they lost about $100 on every unit sold. I have a hard time seeing how they'd be able to make up more than $250 difference in the time since then.

Also, Microsoft HASN'T to my knowledge increased it's production facilities beyond those currently existing just south of the border in Mexico. So volume certainly hasn't been there to help make up the difference either (especially since they haven't been making any).

In my mind its a simple question of economics is the money SAVED by NOT making X-Boxes between january of this year and when the new X-Box is released in October MORE than that potentially gained through licensing and software between now and October.

Further, its also widely known that most of the major software development companies have already started shifting development over to the X-Box 2, or whatever they're calling it, so is there going to be any more big released for hte X-Box that will generate more bucks for Microsoft 'tween January and October? And if there ARE, will the difference between how many they WILL sell with the current numbers of x-boxes in the market and how many they COULD sell with the possible number of x-boxes that COULD be in the market were they to produce more be significant enough to warrant doing so?

That's a tough question, and I can see folks coming down on boths sides. In other words, I don't see how it makes no sense.

willietanner

02-03-2005 11:03:05

you're an idiot. you can buy an xbox right now through toys r us on amazon.com

the people who were sent to vendor in the batch before 2/11 receieved their xboxes. we will get ours.

mapStuart

02-03-2005 11:33:57

Well, it had been speculated before now that the XBOX hardware would become profitable in Q1 2005. Now, that limayli have been a bit optimistic given the price cuts and such, but I don't imagine its far off (hardware cost in May 2002 - almost 3 years ago - were estimated at $323). Remember, the XBOX has a 733MHz Celeron processor and other circa-2001 hardware. Imagine what a $425 computer from 2001 is actually worth in terms of todays hardware/manufacturing costs.

In 2002 Microsoft did expand to a second manufacturing partner (Wistron/Acer) in China - so Flextronics in Mexico aren't the only folks making the machine.

Lastly, Halo 2 was only released in November - if we're speculating that Microsoft abandoned all production of XBOX hardware after the holiday bundle then they're basically leaving that huge piece of software out to dry. Sure it had a HUGE launch, but their marketing wasn't solely to get exisiting folks to purchase the game - but to also bring new followers into the fold. Similarly there are plenty of other top-drawer games (KOTOR II, etc) that have been released recently and more in the pipeline.

Anyway, its not worth arguing the points here - what Microsoft does is certainly their business, but I personally doubt significantly that the old XBOX is dead and gone. Our concern here is what will Gratis do if the XBOX has gone the way of the dodo. Given their track-record, I think they'll take care of all of us. Unforurtunately it will take some time it seems, but I'm not worried - it will all come around.

josiah296

02-03-2005 13:19:07

[quotec3531cd4a9="willietanner"]you're an idiot. you can buy an xbox right now through toys r us on amazon.com

the people who were sent to vendor in the batch before 2/11 receieved their xboxes. we will get ours.[/quotec3531cd4a9]

hey, you g'head and order one, and let me know how long it takes you to get one. Also, call any of the small set of approved X-BOX distributors, like I did yesterday. None of them had any, and none of them had any idea when they'd be getting any in, and all of the ones who WOULD give me some kindof timeframe said it'd likely be a month or more.

And not everyone in the batch before 2/11 got their x-boxes.

willietanner

02-03-2005 14:11:15

what they DIDN'T say was "my theory is that microsoft is going to stop making the xboxes becuase my insider calculations have proven conclusively that their plant in mexico is unprofitable."

If these forums would stick to posting reliable information regarding when people receive items they ordered or when they shipped instead of the theories of guys with names from the 18th century, they would help a lot more people.

just be patient.

willietanner

02-03-2005 14:14:37

and here's the link to the xboxes at amazon, which they offer to deliver by friday, march fourth
http//www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001B15RA/qid=1109801833/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9670199-1412629?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846

Tib

02-03-2005 15:45:52

i'm with willietanner on this one...they aren't going to just stop making the system until at least there is another system on the shelf. Even if they loose money on each system, they'd still want to pump them out so that there would be more people to buy software which brings in the money especially with Halo 2 out and other games quickly coming like Doom 3 and GTASA. It's probably still short do to the holidays...we'll see them eventually or i'm sure gratis will take care of us...some people are just too worried.

mapStuart

02-03-2005 15:56:08

[quoteb583f37d0a="Tib"]we'll see them eventually or i'm sure gratis will take care of us...some people are just too worried.[/quoteb583f37d0a]ditto.

willietanner

02-03-2005 16:07:02

i know links are frowned upon, so if me posting that amazon link, (which i believe is helpful in terms of showing that it is possible to obtain xboxes), mods let me know and I'll get rid of it.

mapStuart

02-03-2005 21:42:48

I think the referral link within the link is what is frowned upon. All you really need in the link is

http//www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001B15RA/

Curiously it still says that it will ship withini 24 hours, but you can no longer add it to your cart.

kaymin

02-03-2005 22:01:35

somethings goin on.... 8)

Lunarpancake

02-03-2005 23:30:32

the Microsoft elves that make the xboxes are on strike......they want more candycane breaks.

kaymin

02-03-2005 23:33:05

ahhhh, now it all makes sense ?

Tib

03-03-2005 03:44:02

[quotea369ff2f28="mapStuart"]I think the referral link within the link is what is frowned upon. All you really need in the link is

http//www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001B15RA/

Curiously it still says that it will ship withini 24 hours, but you can no longer add it to your cart.[/quotea369ff2f28]

that's funny it let me add it to the cart and review the cart so I think you did something wrong.

josiah296

03-03-2005 06:31:09

I can't seem to add the X-Box to my cart either. I even tried in another browser.

And Willie Tanner, my "name" is actually from around the 6th century B.C., which makes it either dorkier or cooler depending. But either way, you're obviously not the brightest kid in class.

mapStuart

03-03-2005 08:35:51

Ahh, the page is actually screwed up. I just noticed that now I have to scroll to the right and the adding it to the cart is there... silly.

Adisin

03-03-2005 08:44:59

every day i want my xbox more and more hehheeh

willietanner

03-03-2005 09:03:38

Yeah i noticed that too. It wasn't like that when i first posted the link

Adisin

04-03-2005 08:29:36

heres to another week cry

Lunarpancake

04-03-2005 11:22:01

i feel expecially bad cuz i told my g/f's brother he could have it as my engagement gift to him and his fiancee from me. lol

willietanner

04-03-2005 11:40:02

yeah, you've mentioned that. it gets more relevant every time.

budscox

04-03-2005 11:44:51

So, when did the last batch of STVs happen?

Adisin

04-03-2005 11:53:53

well me and a few other STV 2/11 are waiting for the xbox's but ive heard there was another stv since then, weird since we still haven't received our items. Also willietaner whats with the attidude haha

willietanner

04-03-2005 11:55:30

there's only so much off topic bullshit one can take man...answer someones questions, post new information that affects others...but seriously, if you've posted about you giving the xbox to someone as a wedding gift before, you've probably said all that needs to be said on that topic

budscox

04-03-2005 12:12:56

Yeah. I went processing earlier this week and I'm trying to find out when I'll be sent to vendor.

No big rush, though.

Lunarpancake

04-03-2005 21:44:39

[quote22baabed77="willietanner"]there's only so much off topic bullshit one can take man...answer someones questions, post new information that affects others...but seriously, if you've posted about you giving the xbox to someone as a wedding gift before, you've probably said all that needs to be said on that topic[/quote22baabed77]

i forgot i had already....sorry to bother you so much asshole

josiah296

06-03-2005 13:28:27

Don't sweat willie tanner, he got picked last for kickball. alot.

PodTopia

06-03-2005 14:38:56

LOL. I'm kinda happy for the sorry occurences here. I'm going to be all green in FreeGamingSystems tomorrow, and I've ordered an XBox ). Maybe I'll make it into your batch. I know I'm not worthy, but I'm still happy ).

Lunarpancake

06-03-2005 16:36:49

i hate you all ...... lol )

Azrail

06-03-2005 20:51:33

Josiah, you said that the regional sales director was out for the week a week ago. What about calling back and seeing what he might have to say about the situation?

thomas moore

06-03-2005 22:53:55

all i know is it doesn't look to good, i resorted to calling all the local stores in my area, the only store that actually had and Xbox was toys R us, and they quite literally only HAD ONE! and i snagged it, and bought halo 2 I've been jamming on it ever since, sigh... roll

Lunarpancake

07-03-2005 17:05:01

[quote7bd8bc0488="thomas moore"]all i know is it doesn't look to good, i resorted to calling all the local stores in my area, the only store that actually had and Xbox was toys R us, and they quite literally only HAD ONE! and i snagged it, and bought halo 2 I've been jamming on it ever since, sigh... roll[/quote7bd8bc0488]

such impatience ) (if i didint have an xbox already id probably have done the same)

hope that the one u got at toys r us is the same one sent by gratis cuz then you MAY be able to return it with the receipt.