How many plan on upgrading it?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=7231

WannaFS

26-02-2005 08:00:33

I've read on other forums that the Apple store will let you trade in a closed box product and get store credit.

Once I get my minimac (hopefully starting March 1st!) I think I'm going to go to the Apple Store and upgrade it with the built in wireless and Bluetooth, as well as adding some memory. Will probably cost $200-300 but I'll be getting an awesome machine (and for an awesome price!).

Only problem is it'll probably mean another 2-3 week wait.... roll

Anyone else?

techdude05

26-02-2005 08:12:07

i still feel that adding the airport extreme is pointless (i'm all wired at home) and I feel that apple's RAM is too expensive. once i like the mac mini, i'm going to get myself a putty knife and some RAM from crucial. licracks open case and pops in RAMli

yes, you can do that, it even saids on apple's website that popping in RAM does not invalidate the warranty (unlike emachines).

WannaFS

26-02-2005 08:16:32

My home network is wireless. We have a desktop that's wired and our laptop roams around the house wirelessly. We plan on putting the minimac on the kitchen counter and would hook it up to the network wirelessly. So we need the wireless card for that.

I want to be able to sit at the kitchen table and type on the keyboard so we need Bluetooth for that.

Can't argue about the RAM, but I figure I might as well just have them do it at the same time...

Last problem I will have to solve is how to get all the computers to share a printer (my existing computers are Dell boxes). Might need to get a print server...

tyketto

26-02-2005 08:27:41

I'm with techdude personally. I also considered adding the airport card, but really don't need it right now. I can wire the Mac mini and connect my existing iMac through wireless.
I will be cracking the mini open for the RAM upgrade, which I hope to do in a month or so.

Here's hoping for March 1 shipping. If I'm lucky, flatscreen and mini will arrive at the same time!

DIGITALgimpus

26-02-2005 10:35:04

Another option is to use an external USB WiFi adapter
http//www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=175

may prove cheaper... plus easy upgrades.

I'm going to try and see if I can land a AirPort Extreme card, and just pop it in myself. No clue how easy to get one will be.

NeoWolf

26-02-2005 16:49:10

[quote86668ed6a9="DIGITALgimpus"]Another option is to use an external USB WiFi adapter
http//www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=175

may prove cheaper... plus easy upgrades.

I'm going to try and see if I can land a AirPort Extreme card, and just pop it in myself. No clue how easy to get one will be.[/quote86668ed6a9]

The problem there is that we've only got two USB 2.0 ports on there.

I'll be upgrading mine myself a bit. I'm going from an iMac G4 to this, and the mini will definitely become my new main machine. I'll be going from 800Mhz to 1.42Ghz, 60GB HD to 80GB, Geforce 2 to better Radeon.. these are nice upgrades, especially for free. The gotcha for me is the lower number of ports, the need to buy a monitor, I'll be going from a superdrive to a combo drive (granted I don't burn DVDs regularly so I can live), the hurt is that I'll be going from 768MB of ram to 256MB. I play WoW and although my processor is technically too slow it runs okay. Now I'll have better processor and video but not enough ram. shock

So I'll be trying to at least pop in a 512MB stick myself. Already got the putty knife plans and such. A bit more surgury than I'm used to in an upgrade but it seems pretty critical. oops

tyketto

26-02-2005 18:12:27

This is a HUGE upgrade for me. I'm going from a G3 iMac 450. Granted, I just put a 512 meg chip in this sucker, but am willing to let it go and buy more RAM for the mini.
The monitor I'm getting for free from flatscreens.
I'll have to buy a keyboard and mouse since we're still going to use the G3 for our daughter.
Overall, I'm pretty psyched.

techdude05

26-02-2005 18:59:13

wow....is your iMac one of those that looks like an eMac?!

NeoWolf

26-02-2005 19:02:30

A really nice third party, and still Mac specific keyboard I'd highly reccomend is the iceKey keyboard by Macally. You can get it for a decent price at Amazon.com. Sweet scissor keys but sitll a normal full size layout.

techdude05

26-02-2005 20:17:27

[quotee409dde1af="NeoWolf"]A really nice third party, and still Mac specific keyboard I'd highly reccomend is the iceKey keyboard by Macally. You can get it for a decent price at Amazon.com. Sweet scissor keys but sitll a normal full size layout.[/quotee409dde1af]uh...that thing costs $45...$15 more than the apple one.

NeoWolf

26-02-2005 20:30:55

[quotec822fac798="techdude05"][quotec822fac798="NeoWolf"]A really nice third party, and still Mac specific keyboard I'd highly reccomend is the iceKey keyboard by Macally. You can get it for a decent price at Amazon.com. Sweet scissor keys but sitll a normal full size layout.[/quotec822fac798]uh...that thing costs $45...$15 more than the apple one.[/quotec822fac798]

... well damn it does. O_o I seem to remember paying $30 for it from Amazon.

tyketto

27-02-2005 05:02:37

Yes, it's the old style iMac that looks - sort of - like the eMac (the eMac actually looks nicer I think). It's a "blueberry" one.

I'll probably just by a keyboard from Apple since it's $30.

I also need to buy a nice pair of speakers since I listen to iTunes a lot on my computer.
If I get all my free $20 Circuit City gift cards for completing offers, I should have more than enough to get the Linksys wireless router and the speakers.

NeoWolf

27-02-2005 15:17:09

I'm planning to use pricewatch to pick up an LCD with built in speakers. Not really ready/willing to fight for the FFS referrals. x_x

tyketto

27-02-2005 16:06:35

I got 5 of my ffs by placing a classified ad... I traded for the rest....

NeoWolf

27-02-2005 16:28:05

I've vastly exhausted my trading options getting the Mac mini. The only thing I may have the will to work for again would be a PSP. Though I also think I'll have a MUCH easier time convincing people that I'm not trying to rip them off when I actually get the mini.

PodTopia

27-02-2005 16:45:14

I'm planning on upgrading as well. The Mini will become my "all-in-one home theater". I plan on upgrading to Bluetooth/Airport Extreme (802.11g) from the Apple Store. Then I plan on getting third party 768MB more of RAM (for a total of 1GB) and a 300GB SeaGate external hard drive. I'm also getting El Gato's EyeHome and EyeTV. Engadget has a whole how-to http//www.engadget.com/entry/1234000057028826/. I'm going to make a pseudo-dock for it http//www.engadget.com/entry/1234000277033346/ and try and make something actually good looking that goes with the flow of the Mini. Then I'm going to get one of the little "TV Stands" with room for the Mac mini to fit under the TV. Then I'm going to overclock the Mac mini to 1.58GHz http//www.engadget.com/entry/1234000653030159/. It's going to be one fine machine ). Now to get a TV worthy of it....(FreeFlatScreens, or the soon-to-be Plasmas4Free, here we come)

NeoWolf

27-02-2005 16:48:34

I'll also say I'm highly tempted by this. http//www.plasticsmith.com/minitower

But not sure if I could justify it. XD

PodTopia

27-02-2005 17:03:36

Personally, I think it's ugly. I'm planning to get the GrandStand Steel that goes with my silver TV http//www.plasticsmith.com/grandstand.

NeoWolf

27-02-2005 17:20:05

[quote2986e612df="PodTopia"]Personally, I think it's ugly. I'm planning to get the GrandStand Steel that goes with my silver TV http//www.plasticsmith.com/grandstand.[/quote2986e612df]

I rather like it (obviously) ) . Though both grandstands are nice as well. I'd probably go for the clear GrandStand myself looks wise, but dust would also be more prone to showing up on it. oops

Most of the accessories showing up are kinda nice and it's good to see a variety. Though it does make it seem even more like an iPod effect thing. It's still nice though. D

techdude05

27-02-2005 17:26:11

[quote40d8bbe55a="PodTopia"]Then I'm going to overclock the Mac mini to 1.58GHz http//www.engadget.com/entry/1234000653030159/..[/quote40d8bbe55a]

just to let you know, the engadget link point to another site (http//www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/macmini/), which says "1.5GHz setting caused some glitches in Xbench Altivec routines. At 1.58GHz the system profiler reported the speed as 750MHz (Open Firmware does not recognise unexpected clock frequency) but apart from mentioned Altivec problems system was usable. As the result I have 1.42GHz Mac mini and it works just fine."

WannaFS

27-02-2005 21:25:56

Bad news at Apple Store today. cry

Talked to some random employee who said they will not accept returns on any product that wasn't purchased at their store. I was talking to him about bringing in my minimac when it comes for an upgrade, and he used the example of ipods and said they wouldn't accept them. (Even if brand new and still shrink-wrapped). shock

The guy was kind of a dick and I'm not sure he knew WTF he was talking about, but I was discouraged. He said the final decision was up to the store manager.

Other thing he said is that they couldn't do Bluetooth/Airport Extreme upgrades which kinda doesn't make sense to me. They could upgrade the RAM though (which we all know we can do ourselves... roll )

I guess we'll just have to see...

techdude05

27-02-2005 22:41:25

[quote2ae7bc83bd="WannaFS"]Bad news at Apple Store today. cry

Talked to some random employee who said they will not accept returns on any product that wasn't purchased at their store. I was talking to him about bringing in my minimac when it comes for an upgrade, and he used the example of ipods and said they wouldn't accept them. (Even if brand new and still shrink-wrapped). shock

The guy was kind of a dick and I'm not sure he knew WTF he was talking about, but I was discouraged. He said the final decision was up to the store manager.

Other thing he said is that they couldn't do Bluetooth/Airport Extreme upgrades which kinda doesn't make sense to me. They could upgrade the RAM though (which we all know we can do ourselves... roll )

I guess we'll just have to see...[/quote2ae7bc83bd]

you can just buy the airport extreme card from them and pop it in yourself. its a bit tight inside, but if i plan to go wireless, thats what i'm gonna do.

NeoWolf

27-02-2005 23:25:53

[quote2d754ef2b2="techdude05"]you can just buy the airport extreme card from them and pop it in yourself. its a bit tight inside, but if i plan to go wireless, thats what i'm gonna do.[/quote2d754ef2b2]

You CAN? I didn't think it came with the slot or antenae if you didn't get the feature at the store? I seem remember reading you could get a "wireless kit" installed at an Apple store that includes both. But the story above implies that may be wrong.

techdude05

27-02-2005 23:32:59

the wireless kit means it comes with both bluetooth and airport extreme. when you buy an airport extreme card, it comes with the antenna. on bluetooth, i am not sure if apple makes a bluetooth card.

NeoWolf

27-02-2005 23:55:20

Normally when you buy an airport card you just get the card as until the Mac mini every Mac already had an antenna inside. I didn't think they were swlling an airport card + antenna for the mini. I was under the impression that unless you made the order option it won't even have the antennae and slot there.

ForthAndBack

28-02-2005 10:10:51

all macs now come airport ready, desktops and laptops alike. All you have to do is buy the card and pop in it the slot. Currently i don't believe you can buy an airport+bluetooth card separately, just the airport card, unless you could find something on ebay.

ALSO!!!

The Mac Mini only has one slot for RAM. Which means if you want to upgrade you have to take out the 256 and put a single 512 or 1gig stick in, no dual 512's to get 1gig. It's kind of a rip off, but it's all for compactness. And don't get your memory through Apple. A gig stick costs something like $400 from them when you can buy a compatible brand for $200.

ForthAndBack

28-02-2005 10:15:31

Oh, and as far as making your own dock, it's not really necessary. It's not like you're really going to be carrying your mac mini around from place to place, and it's not worth jamming up your connectors when trying to plug everything in at once. you're not going to even have a whole lot of cables to plug in, just bundle them up with some zip ties.

techdude05

28-02-2005 10:42:50

[quote75e4f94d10="ForthAndBack"]The Mac Mini only has one slot for RAM.[/quote75e4f94d10]that reminds me of my 1st computer...that really weird emachines...1MB of video RAM lol

dameetch

28-02-2005 10:48:41

My first compy had 8 slots and held an impressive 2 mb. Packard Bell 386!

NeoWolf

28-02-2005 12:42:25

Please do give this a read http//discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@854.bugzaRFhTc6.6@.68a4677f

I'll give you the highlight,
"The mini is not ready for Airport Extreme when you buy it. And you need a special mezzanine card and the antena (which are not built in too) to place it in you mini. The only way is to go to an Apple reseler that can install the module for you."

Apple is skirting costs on the mini as much as they can. If you just buy an Airport Extreme card to pop in you're going to be pretty disappointed.

NeoWolf

28-02-2005 12:44:56

PS

They also make some good makeshift suggestions in the thread that you could just use one of the wireless ethernet adaptors that get marketed for gaming consoles. I didn't think of that myself, pretty good idea. o_o

techdude05

28-02-2005 14:07:23

[quote36ab28b063="NeoWolf"]Please do give this a read http//discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@854.bugzaRFhTc6.6@.68a4677f

"The mini is not ready for Airport Extreme when you buy it. And you need a special mezzanine card and the antena (which are not built in too) to place it in you mini. The only way is to go to an Apple reseler that can install the module for you."

Apple is skirting costs on the mini as much as they can. If you just buy an Airport Extreme card to pop in you're going to be pretty disappointed.[/quote36ab28b063]in other words the mac mini cannot go wireless if you get the regular package. you need the airport extreme card (the mezzanine) and the airport extreme antenna (which comes with the card)

WannaFS

28-02-2005 14:07:43

Very cool link NeoWolf! Thanks! +karma for you...

Once I get my mini I still plan on taking it to the local Apple Store and seeing if they'll take it back for store credit and allow me to order one with the Airport Extreme/Bluetooth module (and 512MB RAM) since I want both WiFi and Bluetooth.

Glad to hear there are other solutions though!

techdude05

28-02-2005 14:09:03

[quote3a138e3b69="WannaFS"]Very cool link NeoWolf! Thanks! +karma for you...

Once I get my mini I still plan on taking it to the local Apple Store and seeing if they'll take it back for store credit and allow me to order one with the Airport Extreme/Bluetooth module (and 512MB RAM) since I want both WiFi and Bluetooth.

Glad to hear there are other solutions though![/quote3a138e3b69]see my above post. we just sent it at the same time lol

NeoWolf

28-02-2005 14:21:58

[quote865814f9c0="techdude05"][quote865814f9c0="NeoWolf"]Please do give this a read http//discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@854.bugzaRFhTc6.6@.68a4677f

Apple is skirting costs on the mini as much as they can. If you just buy an Airport Extreme card to pop in you're going to be pretty disappointed.[/quote865814f9c0]in other words the mac mini cannot go wireless if you get the regular package. you need the airport extreme card (the mezzanine) and the airport extreme antenna (which comes with the card)[/quote865814f9c0]

Wrong, the card is not the mzzanine card. That's an addon specific for the Mac mini's mini-motherboard. The airport extreme card does not come with any such antenna either as until the mini every other mac came with an airport slot and antenna libuilt-inli. This isn't the case with the mini so if you buy an airport card you're not going to have anywhere to stick it. Just take a look at the forum thread I posted. One of the guys there bought a card and found out the hardway there's no where to put it.

Now in theory Apple Stores are supposed to start carrying the upgrade kit that's basically the extra card and antennas for wifi and bluetooth but so far they haven't.

techdude05

28-02-2005 15:33:20

heres the official apple mac mini service manual[=http//www.kevinrose.com/mini/mac_mini.pdf]heres the official apple mac mini service manual
looks like according to this you can get yourself an airport extreme card and snap it in.

props to kevin rose (G4TechTV) for hosting it.

NeoWolf

28-02-2005 15:38:54

Indeed, I already had this and a video in preparation of upgrading my own memory. However that's meant for an Apple store employee not you. Notice how it's displaying "Upgrade Kit Contents" for the items you need. That's the kit I'm referring to that Apple Stores are supposed to eventually carry. If you buy an AirPort Extreme card ALL that you get is the card. Which as you can see goes ON the Mezzanine board that comes withs the upgrade kit. So one again I reitterate, without the upgrade kit you have nowhere to snap the airport card in, and currently Apple's not selling these.

WannaFS

28-02-2005 15:48:07

Wow, very nice. Says that "Apple provides an upgrade kit for service providers." I wonder if that means you have to have them do it, or you can just buy it and do it yourself. Really doesn't look too complicated.

Guy at the local Apple Store didn't know anything about this... I guess its going to be a little while until they're up to speed on the Mac mini.

NeoWolf

28-02-2005 16:04:17

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to install it as the Mac mini "isn't user servicable", though it may be possible to get the kit from an OEM dealer once they start coming out. I think the $99 price counts install so it might be cheaper that way too. Even then $99 isn't a bad price at all for internal bluetooth and wi-fi. D

joelseph

28-02-2005 16:41:04

A friend of mine who works at an Apple store says it costs $79 for just the airport card, and they'll install it for free.

NeoWolf

28-02-2005 16:52:13

[quote057550b075="joelseph"]A friend of mine who works at an Apple store says it costs $79 for just the airport card, and they'll install it for free.[/quote057550b075]

If that's the case great, but keep in mind the mini's the exception to the rule with macs and airport cards. Every Apple store I've had any contact with doesn't have a way to upgrade the minis in store outside of ram.

techdude05

28-02-2005 17:04:46

oops...i didnt know...

o well...i guess ill buy one of those cheap wifi things that take up a usb hub...

NeoWolf

28-02-2005 17:23:48

You could try an ethernet adapter if you wanna save a USB port. That's the only aspect of the mini that bugs me, so few ports. Of course considering the size it's also extremely forgivable. A hub will be a must though as I'm short a port right now on this iMac with three. ( I love Apple and other keyboards that are also hubs, but they don't have the power to do much more than a mouse/gamepad/camera upload. )

techdude05

28-02-2005 18:35:47

[quote81e138946d="NeoWolf"]You could try an ethernet adapter if you wanna save a USB port. That's the only aspect of the mini that bugs me, so few ports. Of course considering the size it's also extremely forgivable. A hub will be a must though as I'm short a port right now on this iMac with three. ( I love Apple and other keyboards that are also hubs, but they don't have the power to do much more than a mouse/gamepad/camera upload. )[/quote81e138946d]lol, windows popped up a notification balloon with "not enough power to run Apple iPod USB 2.0..." when i plugged it into my Microsoft keyboard.

ENGRDawg

28-02-2005 19:01:58

yeah you can't run an ipod or ipod shuffle from a keyboard USB port. Keyboard USB ports are usually low-power and can't charge the devices. I plan on getting a 7-port hub for my shitload of usb stuff (printer, camera, ipod, ipod shuffle, wifi, usb flash drive, keyboard, mouse). Ridiculous!

DIGITALgimpus

28-02-2005 19:07:27

You can get a [b069f92f86e]powered[/b069f92f86e] USB or Firewire hub.

They cost more than a regular hub, but when plugged into an AC outlet... you get the same as a port on the system iteslf.

That's what I've been doing for years.

NeoWolf

28-02-2005 20:01:12

You still have bandwidth limitations, but with USB 2.0's speed this is less of an issue.

techdude05

28-02-2005 20:20:26

this topic is getting so off topic...

ENGRDawg

28-02-2005 21:39:31

why? this is a discussion of how best to upgrade the macmini. usb speed and power supply through a hub is a relevant discussion because most people will need a hub to upgrade their macs.

techdude05

01-03-2005 03:56:50

it seems to have gone from internal mods and upgrades, such as RAM, to exteral peripherals, like a USB hub.

techdude05

03-03-2005 17:57:13

anyways...i just realized something

when i get my mac mini, i'm going to strip the RAM out of it for problably a 512MB one and sell the built in 256MB on ebay. the money will then be used to offset the price of the 512MB stick.

tyketto

03-03-2005 18:36:17

Is there use for that type of chip outside the mini? I'm pretty clueless about such stuff.

techdude05

03-03-2005 18:48:46

[quotec36a971aaa="tyketto"]Is there use for that type of chip outside the mini? I'm pretty clueless about such stuff.[/quotec36a971aaa]well the mac mini uses standard RAM found on any PC.

joelseph

03-03-2005 18:54:00

[quote3f630e794a="techdude05"]well the mac mini uses standard RAM found on any PC.[/quote3f630e794a]

I seem to recall a lot of talk about buying certain types of RAM because most won't work in the Mini.

PodTopia

03-03-2005 19:05:22

Found this FREAKIN' SWEET external hard drive today (thanks Gizmodo.com!) and I'll definitely be buying one. Yeah, it's a lot for a case, but it's going to be my "home entertainment solution" so it better look good. Link http//www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/storage/index.php#firewire-depot-gsata-and-gdrive-mini-034802

NeoWolf

03-03-2005 19:06:37

[quote10a0ecd0b9="joelseph"]I seem to recall a lot of talk about buying certain types of RAM because most won't work in the Mini.[/quote10a0ecd0b9]

It's just that Mac OS X is pretty sensitive to bad ram. So if you get a cheap knock off with even a small problem, it's more likely to cause you trouble.

techdude05

03-03-2005 19:07:42

[quote5f2c2f1089="NeoWolf"][quote5f2c2f1089="joelseph"]I seem to recall a lot of talk about buying certain types of RAM because most won't work in the Mini.[/quote5f2c2f1089]

It's just that Mac OS X is pretty sensitive to bad ram. So if you get a cheap knock off with even a small problem, it's more likely to cause you trouble.[/quote5f2c2f1089]im going to get crucial-brand RAM, which is known to work with OS X

NeoWolf

03-03-2005 19:18:04

[quotee9abe4c9f8="techdude05"][quotee9abe4c9f8="NeoWolf"][quotee9abe4c9f8="joelseph"]I seem to recall a lot of talk about buying certain types of RAM because most won't work in the Mini.[/quotee9abe4c9f8]

It's just that Mac OS X is pretty sensitive to bad ram. So if you get a cheap knock off with even a small problem, it's more likely to cause you trouble.[/quotee9abe4c9f8]im going to get crucial-brand RAM, which is known to work with OS X[/quotee9abe4c9f8]

And more importantly quality guaranteed so even if got a bad fluke it gets replaced free. 8)