exchange plan... will it work?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=661

scottw3

24-09-2004 18:31:36

Ok, I finally got my iPod+HP today (ip3 of 8/17 & switched 1 day after it was available). So, here is my plan for getting the 40GB apple ipod for the educational discount price

1) Return to Best Buy or CompUSA or [insert large retail chain here] to exchange for an apple 20GB ipod. No cost to me.
2) Take my 20GB apple ipod to the apple store to get store credit for the amount of $299.99 +tax.
3) Return to apple store to use credit towards a 40GB model that will cost $369.99 +tax with the educational discount.

So, in the end, I have a 40GB apple iPod and I have spent $70 +tax.

Will this work? Will they give me store credit for the 20GB apple? Will the credit be 299.99?

Thanks.

PallarAndersVisa

24-09-2004 18:33:46

no

scottw3

24-09-2004 19:47:26

[quote0a9cbc0e6d="PallarAndersVisa"]no[/quote0a9cbc0e6d]

Wow thanks for the details. I'll try that. Jackass

ipodsforfree

24-09-2004 20:05:46

[quote52bde6ea34]Will this work? Will they give me store credit for the 20GB apple? Will the credit be 299.99?[/quote52bde6ea34]

[quote52bde6ea34]no[/quote52bde6ea34]

Yeah, what a rude response to your valid, intelligent, and well-researched questions. I'll answer all three for you.

No, no, and no... [i52bde6ea34]jackass[/i52bde6ea34].

Anonymous

24-09-2004 20:08:47

Next person to make idiotic responses such as PallarAndersVisa and ipodsforfree are getting banned.

If you have nothing to contribute to a thread, please tell me ahead of time so I can ban you.

miraluka

24-09-2004 20:29:03

People have varying luck returning their iPods/hPods to retail chains like CompUSA/BestBuy without receipts.

You can attempt to return for credit/exchange for an Apple, but most likely they'll get confused as to why you want to get an iPod...when you already have one.

I suppose you could try telling them you got it as a gift, and you have a Mac computer so you'd prefer to have the Apple iPod instead.

I don't know if Apple Store will take the iPod from another store (even though they won't know), simply based on not having a receipt.

blue

24-09-2004 21:11:49

I was wondering, if you return it to the Apple Store, why would they give you full credit? How do they know you didn't use the educational discount? I'd be inclined to think they might still charge you $100 difference between the discounted price for the 20GB and the discounted price for the 40GB.

I took the 20GB iPod+hp to CompUSA, said I got it as a gift (it was still shrink-wrapped) and I wanted to exchange it for the 40GB. They brought out the 40GB iPod+hp and I said, no, I would like the APPLE 40GB...which they went back and got after telling me "It's the same thing" (which it is except for the box and the hP logo on the back). It might have seemed a bit weird to them if I went in to exchange it for the Apple 20GB.

All of this was done at the return/exchange counter before even entering the main part of the store - they went and got the 40GB for me.

Just to give you an idea of what to expect. Another idea, which someone posted here recently, is to try to do the exchange at Costco....they apparently have the 40GB for $379. But I'm wondering if they still wouldn't just charge you the difference between them...and if so what the 20GB is there. I don't know.

blue

eclipxe

24-09-2004 22:48:39

Costco doens't sell the 20gb in store (only 40, at least in my area...and they go quickly)

ThisSunAlsoRises

24-09-2004 23:09:42

alot of stores are pretty lenient with their return policy. because when you return an ipod they might as well take it because they're not losing any money. and you can get the discount because you getting the ipod wouldn't be effected by returning the other one.

i guess it'd kinda be like doing cram and jam and returning your boxes. minus the cut out upc code. lol

Pusha C

25-09-2004 02:31:05

yeah, it should work wink

scottw3

25-09-2004 06:25:48

[quoteb6691d15f0="blue"]I was wondering, if you return it to the Apple Store, why would they give you full credit? How do they know you didn't use the educational discount? I'd be inclined to think they might still charge you $100 difference between the discounted price for the 20GB and the discounted price for the 40GB.

blue[/quoteb6691d15f0]

Thanks everyone. Your responses have been helpful. Blue- I have thought about this. This is why I would try to get credit first and then go back instead of doing the exchange then. That way they have no idea whether I am a student or not when i come in the first time. And if I say I got it as a gift (which technically isn't a lie) they would know I wasn't the person that bought it.

The costco idea is a good one. I read that thread just now and saw that costco will let you return your ipod in the far future if another model comes out? That sounds a little too good to be true (but hey, I did just get a free iPod). Anyone know anymore about this process? I'm not sure if there is a Costco in my area. Anyone know if Sams club has the iPod and if they have the same policy?

Thanks again everyone

tubby

25-09-2004 10:31:05

I actually returned mine to costco, which, surprisingly enough was not as easy as I expected. I returned it at a costco that had none in stock (40 or 20 gig) and then bought it right back. I just wanted a costco receipt, which allows me to take it back to them for a full refund whenever it starts working (whether thats in 6 months or 3 years, they'll take it back and give me cash for it!) Some of the costco's do carry the 40 gig, while others carry the 20.

the 20 costs 279.99 at costco
the 40 costs 379.99

Also noteworthy is that the window for this closes pretty soon. Come October, costco is gonna start selling their ipods as part of economy packages

20 gig + docking station + $10 itunes credit = 299.99

40gig + leather protector + $15 itunes credit = 399.99

Good luck everyone (I'm just glad I have my costco receipt)

tubby

25-09-2004 10:32:34

Oh yeah, it wasn't that easy, I had to go to two costcos before I found one that would take it back. They really wanted a receipt, and if you didn't have one, they tried to look up your ipod in their sku system. Because mine was never actually purchased at Costco, they were kind of skeptical.

eclipxe

25-09-2004 10:33:34

I do not believe Sams club has the same policy - Costco's policy isn't exactly "you buy it once and return when new one comes out"..in fact there is no guarantee they will get any future model (although they should).

Basically their policy is that for any reason at anytime you are not happy with a product you can return it. (Except on Computers now, its only 30 days because people would buy them and return them 3 years later for an updated system).

They MIGHT put the same restriction in place for other electronics but I highly doubt it...they don't have enough volume or Mp3 player sales and returns to make a difference. The best part is that the process is VERY painless...the people at the return desk are there to help you and go out of their way to make things right for you....and the great thing is that the eCost (and probably others) HP Ipod actually SHOW UP in their inventory (even though they dont sell it IN STORE). When I went to return mine the guy scanned it, then said "ah, internet purchase?" and I was like "yup" and he said "cool, ipods rock, here is a gift card with $309, enjoy"

Simpe and fast.

eclipxe

25-09-2004 10:35:00

OH and they do take back unwrapped ipods, as long as you have all the accessories and no physical damage to the ipod.

jesterfx

26-09-2004 01:20:22

I want to try the costco exchange too. Not sure if my local one carries the 40s though. And as tubby mentiond, I doubt I will have mine before oct 1st...though it might not matter much since "I got my ipod as a gift and they must have bought it a couple weeks aog" ;P...although I may have to pay the "difference" to get the packaged deal /.

Another good thing about this time of year and exchanges....xmas season is very close and stores are very easy to accept returns/exchanges during that time ;)

wezman2k

26-09-2004 18:43:17

well i tried the best buy thing...and the guy wouldn't take it no matter what without a receipt. so now i have to sell it on ebay.

shifuimam

26-09-2004 19:28:21

Man...sucks to be you, "having" to sell a free $300 iPod on eBay...

scottw3

27-09-2004 12:53:47

Just an update. I got a membership to Cosco and returned my iPod+HP without any problem. They gave me a cash card fot 279.99 +tax. They don't carry the 40GB yet, so I just bought back the 20 GB. Now I have a receipt. So I can take it back whenever.

jtxvo

27-09-2004 13:18:56

hi everybody,

when i get my free ipod i want to take it to the apple store and exchange it for a digital camera..do you think it will work? has anything tried to exchange it at apple store yet?

Tholek

27-09-2004 14:07:25

Hmm, unless there is some way to exchange the 20GB for a 40GB free and clear, I'll be keeping mine.

Good luck to everyone else, though.

tubby

28-09-2004 00:39:17

nice one scott, got to love the piece of mind that a costco receipt can give (I might not even get an iskin now, knowing that I'll just take it back in a year

lol

ThisSunAlsoRises

28-09-2004 00:48:21

Even better is the $50 discount i could get since my mom works in medicine. now i wonder if i can combine the $50 discount and the $30 discount and get a 40GB iPod for 20 dollars.... wink lol wink