Using a Debit Card for offers

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=5933

easportsea

07-02-2005 21:32:13

hey i was wondering if it is possible to use a debit card for any of the offers at freeipods.com and mp3players4free.com If so which ones? please help me on this question because all i have is a debit card. thanks

Minority

07-02-2005 21:46:29

Debit card and credit card is almost the same thing. On credit you just "barrow" money. You can use it on freeipods, or any other offers that require credit, because its the same thing,hope that anwsered your question.

thomas moore

07-02-2005 21:47:05

most of the offers you can use you debit, so long as it bears the VISA / mastercard logo on it... wink

penguin

07-02-2005 21:55:04

i wasn't able to sign up for efax using the visa # on my debit card. i believe others have been able to register, though.

SoBeIcedT

07-02-2005 22:32:07

Some sites say no debit cards, but this only holds true if your debit card does not have the master card / visa logo. If it has one of those logos it will work as a credit card. Some banks give debit cards that only work at atms, I have one that is attached to my savings account. It can only be used at atms that are operated by my bank.

evilbearboomboom

07-02-2005 22:57:45

exactly sobe. if it has a visa/mc logo, it is basically a creidit card. its just where the money pull from is the differentiator.

Tholek

07-02-2005 22:57:51

[quote53bda354e9="thomas moore"]most of the offers you can use you debit, so long as it bears the VISA / mastercard logo on it... wink[/quote53bda354e9]

Not always.

[quote53bda354e9="penguin"]i wasn't able to sign up for efax using the visa # on my debit card. i believe others have been able to register, though.[/quote53bda354e9]

Quite right, not every card will work, despite its branding.

[quote53bda354e9="SoBeIcedT"]Some sites say no debit cards, but this only holds true if your debit card does not have the master card / visa logo. If it has one of those logos it will work as a credit card. Some banks give debit cards that only work at atms, I have one that is attached to my savings account. It can only be used at atms that are operated by my bank.[/quote53bda354e9]

Nope, that's not true when it comes to websites.

It turns out that some of the required offer's processing companies (those who process your card info) will only recognize branded debit cards from certain banks. Whether it's an issue of not being updated with current bank info, or them not trusting/liking those banks I don't know. What I do know, is that my Visa branded card from a major US bank, and with sufficient funds was denied by the company that runs the Video Professor signup page, and when I asked the bank about it, they said this was often the reason.

I was under the impression, like yourself, that if it said Visa, or Mastercard, that was all that mattered.

Apparently that's not true for the internet....

evilbearboomboom

07-02-2005 23:00:49

[quote679ecba668="Tholek"][quote679ecba668="thomas moore"]most of the offers you can use you debit, so long as it bears the VISA / mastercard logo on it... wink[/quote679ecba668]

Not always.

[quote679ecba668="penguin"]i wasn't able to sign up for efax using the visa # on my debit card. i believe others have been able to register, though.[/quote679ecba668]

Quite right, not every card will work, despite its branding.

[quote679ecba668="SoBeIcedT"]Some sites say no debit cards, but this only holds true if your debit card does not have the master card / visa logo. If it has one of those logos it will work as a credit card. Some banks give debit cards that only work at atms, I have one that is attached to my savings account. It can only be used at atms that are operated by my bank.[/quote679ecba668]

Nope, that's not true when it comes to websites.

It turns out that some of the required offer's processing companies (those who process your card info) will only recognize branded debit cards from certain banks. Whether it's an issue of not being updated with current bank info, or them not trusting/liking those banks I don't know. What I do know, is that my Visa branded card from a major US bank, and with sufficient funds was denied by the company that runs the Video Professor signup page, and when I asked the bank about it, they said this was often the reason.

I was under the impression, like yourself, that if it said Visa, or Mastercard, that was all that mattered.

Apparently that's not true for the internet....[/quote679ecba668]

tholek, i did the video professor and about 4 trileagent offers all with my usbank card, and it processed very well. did the addresses match? like your billing, and the info you put on the page? by billing i mean the address that the bank has.

thomas moore

07-02-2005 23:01:17

thats where the "most" comes into affect shock

easportsea

07-02-2005 23:12:26

what about webcertificates? do the offers on freeipods.com and mp3player3free.com accept webcertificate? or is dis basically the same thing as a debit card?

evilbearboomboom

07-02-2005 23:16:55

some should. but as long as you have a visa/mc branded card you should be okay.

Tholek

08-02-2005 00:59:31

[quote806a0df8a7="evilbearboomboom"]tholek, i did the video professor and about 4 trileagent offers all with my usbank card, and it processed very well. did the addresses match? like your billing, and the info you put on the page? by billing i mean the address that the bank has.[/quote806a0df8a7]

Well, at the time it had worried me that Gratis offers you a "corrected" version of your shipping address that is different than your own (which I chose, as I wanted no mistakes in shipping), and which might have been an issue, as the exact text was was different from the Bank billing info. However, the bank said that is usually not a roadblock, and I know that to be true of some online purchases I've made where I abbreviated some aspects of the address, and was still billed correctly.

The banker still thought that it was probably that the company database didn't recognize their Visa debit card.

Either way, I chose another offer and completed it, but I thought you might like to know what might be a cause of some of these problems

thomas moore

08-02-2005 01:02:33

i had just tried the dollar offers with the debit and it has a visa logo, its a no go... so ... yah it is case by case bank by bank basis like tholek mentioned.

evilbearboomboom

08-02-2005 06:49:23

im still stumped tholek, i just did like 3 trileagent offers with my us bank card, and i went green all around.

Tholek

08-02-2005 08:01:34

There's no reason to be stumped. You have no problem.

As I said, [ida4a23f360]some[/ida4a23f360] people have this problem, and it's likely due to the reason I posted.