Unofficial Dorm IP Tips/Problems Thread

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=5780

cmarie

05-02-2005 11:32:41

I did a search for "dorm" on this forum and got a whole bunch of results, but not a consolidated thread, so here it is. I'm guessing that Gratis has a potentially huge base in the form of college students, and they probably don't want to alienate them.

I am trying to complete a normal ol' freeipods.com account. 3 or 4 of my friends are willing to do offers under me, but I am scared that Gratis will put me on hold because of IP addresses that are too similar. I can have them use their home addresses, but the IP ones will still be similar or even the same. Any advice?

Use this thread to post past experiences, advice, questions, or miscellaneous issues related to dorms, networks, IP problems or success, etc. Have a great day!!

Retro

05-02-2005 11:36:39

Well, from searching I got different responses. I asked them and they said that basically if the home addresses are different then they should be unique. I just submitted my account for approval so i will find out if what they said is true. 3 of my referrals live on campus I believe. They also said that they checked those referrals and they seem to be unique, we'll see how true that is.

shifuimam

05-02-2005 11:39:44

I think if you get put on hold, but can prove that it's a dorm and they're using their dorm address and IP, you'll be fine.

I signed up three people under my FIP account with the same IP but different everything else, and I was fine.

Retro

05-02-2005 11:41:44

did they even question it and make you prove it was a dorm or anything?

cmarie

05-02-2005 13:59:23

I think if you get put on hold, but can prove that it's a dorm and they're using their dorm address and IP, you'll be fine.

Sounds encouraging. What exactly would a person use as "proof"? An email explaining the situation, or something more involved?

With the responses and information I've collected from this thread and others, I think I'll start trying to obtain referrals today!

stangpb

05-02-2005 15:32:50

i sent a message to gratis asking them this question and i even have the problem with some of my refferals using the same address they just said make sure they put their room numbers and the ip addreses will be no problem i still need one more refferal but i will see after i get it.

SoBeIcedT

05-02-2005 22:41:52

Read the epic in my sig for a good dorm story.

shifuimam

05-02-2005 23:58:45

[quote6d1e74b177="Retro"]did they even question it and make you prove it was a dorm or anything?[/quote6d1e74b177]

Nope. I got all my referrals done in less than 36 hours (three at school, two online the night before). By 530 that same day, I was approved and had ordered my iPod.

They may start cracking down harder on trying to filter out potential fraud, since the site has just exploded in popularity over the past months (I got mine in early October 2004, I think), in which case provision of different room numbers and IP addresses should be sufficient to show you are different people/households.

In my case, three of my referrals had the same IP, but nothing else was the same - they didn't live on campus, so their addresses were all different.