Dont refresh, get a taste of the PodWatch public alpha

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=542

illicit

22-09-2004 19:19:38

Since I have to focus on school, and havent had as much time as I would like to work on PodWatch I decided to let the next alpha release be public.

http//www.podwatch.com

PodWatch monitors your status on ALL 3 Gratis Internet Sites! Completely re-written!

Please let me know what you think
email==bugs@podwatch.combugs@podwatch.com=bugs@podwatch.combugs@podwatch.com/email
http//forum.podwatch.com

Drakier

22-09-2004 21:35:59

n/m

DIGITALgimpus

22-09-2004 21:50:37

How do we know if any do?

Yea, I could packet sniff, but I'm way to lazy to be doing that. I think I'll just manually check every year or so.

ThisSunAlsoRises

22-09-2004 22:50:25

inputs email and password into podwatch....

quote from podwatch liNOW SENDING ALL INFO TO ILLICIT! YOU JUST GOT FUCKED!li

hacktek

22-09-2004 22:53:02

hahahaha true true...i don't think ill be using that but thanks for the effort P

ThisSunAlsoRises

22-09-2004 23:37:35

bug. that white thing with types of referrals doesn't go away if you leave it via the side of the program

illicit

23-09-2004 03:35:04

[quote196cbdc372="Drakier"]how do we know this one doesn't have Malware in it?

edit
also, the site seems to be down (again).[/quote196cbdc372]

Because im not a asshole like you. And also unlike you, I dont STEAL. Get out of my thread. I am well known in this scene and am not out to steal and view peoples accounts or do anything malicous, Thank You.

lieditli
If anyone has their doubts contact pretty much anyone in the freeipods chat or join #podwatch and talk to my beta testers, USE A PACKET SNIFFER, and a FIREWALL if you are that worried.

Opious

23-09-2004 03:48:56

The site seems to be working just fine for me.

DIGITALgimpus

23-09-2004 04:43:16

[quote1d6fcabf3f="illicit"]...

lieditli
If anyone has their doubts contact pretty much anyone in the freeipods chat or join #podwatch and talk to my beta testers, USE A PACKET SNIFFER, and a FIREWALL if you are that worried.[/quote1d6fcabf3f]
Hmm...

A packet sniffer would let you know AFTER it was sent... provided you know how to use one.

A firewall wouldn't help at all either, since virtually all are designed to allow mail through.

jmalm

23-09-2004 04:47:54

I can see the concern of people thinking that it's malware as there's so many untrustworthy people out there.

illicit This program doesn't work behind corporate firewalls. You should allow an option with the program to input proxy information for that purpose.

Kid Ego

23-09-2004 05:32:17

that other program worked great for me..

illicit

23-09-2004 06:00:31

[quotedfbc309f3a="jmalm"]I can see the concern of people thinking that it's malware as there's so many untrustworthy people out there.

illicit This program doesn't work behind corporate firewalls. You should allow an option with the program to input proxy information for that purpose.[/quotedfbc309f3a]

Will do

Drakier

23-09-2004 07:02:13

Illicit... I'm neither an asshole, or a thief... I've already seen MANY threads in MANY places claiming you admitted to writing a version of PodWatch that was designed to specifically steal users information.

If that isn't untrustworthy, or an "asshole" thing to do, then I don't know what is. Half of the threads I saw that said "don't use podwatch, it steals information" was on THIS site and THIS messageboard.

I'm mainly interested in user safety, and you've already broken peoples trust once. What is to say you won't go back and do it again, just because you're "well known" here?

You know nothing about me, so don't even claim you do. To say I'm an asshole or a thief is completely wrong and completely your opinion as you have no facts or evidence to prove that. Although if anyone wants to check up on me, I can send them to some public forums where I've been known for over 5 years to be an upstanding and trustworthy dev who makes good software.

This isn't an ICFreePod vs PodWatch post. This is a "what is safe for the users" post. As I said in the first, you've already supposedly admitted on IRC to stealing information, what is to say you won't do it again?

JGrayland

23-09-2004 07:31:25

Hery guys i made my own program. heres the link

http//www.freeipods.com/Orders.aspx?OrderID=

and type your number after the = sign. works great!!!

Admin

23-09-2004 07:49:57

The reason you can trust PodWatch is the same reason you trust me with a password and your email address. Because I am a lot more well known than either of you and I have been intimately associated with PodWatch development practically since Day One. PodWatch's original purpose was for illicit to check his own status. It makes no sense for it to steal information.

I fully back and vouch for this program as safe. Anything you read about it being malware is a lie, plain and simple.

Drakier

23-09-2004 08:03:42

I just did an inital check of PodWatch, and it appears to be clean. Keep in mine I haven't finished checking it over, but at first glance, I didn't see anything that popped out at me. I'll continue to look over it and if I see anything that pops out, I'll let you know.

As for the app, it looks good and clean. I noticed you got a head start on me with the WebService (contacts at gratis?)... But you should REALLY do some string manipulation on the Login Key and Login Information.

illicit

23-09-2004 08:03:59

[quote342244c96e="Drakier"]Illicit... I'm neither an asshole, or a thief... I've already seen MANY threads in MANY places claiming you admitted to writing a version of PodWatch that was designed to specifically steal users information.

If that isn't untrustworthy, or an "asshole" thing to do, then I don't know what is. Half of the threads I saw that said "don't use podwatch, it steals information" was on THIS site and THIS messageboard.

I'm mainly interested in user safety, and you've already broken peoples trust once. What is to say you won't go back and do it again, just because you're "well known" here?

You know nothing about me, so don't even claim you do. To say I'm an asshole or a thief is completely wrong and completely your opinion as you have no facts or evidence to prove that. Although if anyone wants to check up on me, I can send them to some public forums where I've been known for over 5 years to be an upstanding and trustworthy dev who makes good software.

This isn't an ICFreePod vs PodWatch post. This is a "what is safe for the users" post. As I said in the first, you've already supposedly admitted on IRC to stealing information, what is to say you won't do it again?[/quote342244c96e]

HOLD UP. What is this about me admitting to stealing information? on IRC? anywhere? PODWATCH HAS NEVER COMMUNICATED OUTSIDE OF THE GRATIS NETWORK AND NEVER WILL. Also me calling you an asshole and a stealer is referring to how you blatantly COPIED/STOLE the entire PodWatch Concept, Layout and Colors. I nor anyone else here is going to accept your explicit slander towards me, my company, and my program. The first time we took it easy on you, sent you an email requesting you stop your ways. I have started to receive IP Logs and record of any slander, which may be you behind a different username and anything you have said against us.

[quote342244c96e="Drakier"]I just did an inital check of PodWatch, and it appears to be clean. Keep in mine I haven't finished checking it over, but at first glance, I didn't see anything that popped out at me. I'll continue to look over it and if I see anything that pops out, I'll let you know.

As for the app, it looks good and clean. I noticed you got a head start on me with the WebService (contacts at gratis?)... But you should REALLY do some string manipulation on the Login Key and Login Information.[/quote342244c96e]

Again the webservice was intended for me, it was given to me by my contact at gratis, THEY CONTACTED ME OFFERING IT. When it was annouced on my website, YOU emailed them trying to get on a webservice intended for podwatch. You should have done initial checks before you posted in this thread, OH YEA continue your search, waist as much of your life as you please.

Drakier

23-09-2004 08:09:44

as I said previously.. I have nothing against you or your program. my ONLY interest is in User safety. This is NOT about PodWatch vs ICFreePod which is what you're trying to make it.

Step back for a second and look at the big picture here. Its not a competition. If you look at the post I just made, I said it was good. lishrugli. I told you that I made ICFreePod because at the time, PodWatch didn't do what I thought it should do, so I wrote my own. You got all mad and defensive and took it as a threat and competition and started harassing me with emails about me violating the DMCA, which I later showed you I didn't.

my ONLY concern is the user. I don't care about you or your program unless it intentionally steals information. And if you don't believe me about the PodWatch stuff, check the site. do a search. You'll find multiple threads where people claim that PodWatch steals information and YOU admitted to it.

I do NOT have any other aliases, nor do I attempt to slander anyone. I don't work like that. As I said, you don't know me. You took me as a threat. I am NOT here to compete. Its not about competition. its a FREEWARE program. there IS no competition.

illicit

23-09-2004 08:13:38

Well keep us updated! let me know if you find anything malicious about my code! D

Drakier

23-09-2004 08:14:36

nevermind.

illicit

23-09-2004 08:21:08

What im sayin is if you didnt verify it when you first posted, you sould have waited till you did. I worked very hard on this new revision of podwatch and to have to have someone come and say "how do we know this one doesn't have Malware in it?", saying it like my history has malware all over it, is rude. Get the facts before you come out with comments like that.

Admin

23-09-2004 08:23:11

I find it funny that you didn't really check very closely on your search. Here's the first post by "burdenedreflect" that comes up if you search on these boards for PodWatch

[quotebe516ad051]I'll never use podwatch again because a previous version stole credit card information as well as FIP account information.

Not worth the risk after programmers have gone bad before.[/quotebe516ad051]

Pretty damning, coming from a guy with 10 posts and zero karma. Oh wait, later in the thread....

[quotebe516ad051]Oh damn, this isn't podwatch, even says at the site...disregard all the shit i said before[/quotebe516ad051]

Hmm. Another highly reputable (10 posts, -1 karma) user's intelligent PodWatch comment

[quotebe516ad051]It doesn't work because it's a virus meant to steal your ipod[/quotebe516ad051]

Hopefully a joke, but if it was, you didn't get it

[quotebe516ad051]ICFreePod still works, and doesn't contain malware in it.

I already have an estabilshed reputation, and I can direct anyone interested to verify it if they want.

lishrugli[/quotebe516ad051]

I call that attempting to cast a bad image on PodWatch. In a thread about PodWatch, after someone, jokingly (I hope), claims it's a "virus", you go on to say that ICFreePod isn't Malware. Reading between the lines, it seems to me to say "ICFreePod, on the other hand, isn't Malware like PodWatch."

Drakier

23-09-2004 08:24:21

ok. I agree. I should have investigated more first. Problem was.. site was down. I'll admit though that it was a mistake...

but how about from now on, we both take the time to "get the facts" before jumping on anyone? I don't know you, and you certainly don't know me. making unsubstantiated claims doesn't help anyone, so lets just not do it?

caveman

23-09-2004 08:25:49

http//carcino.gen.nz/images/image.php/463c5922/arguing.jpg[" alt=""/img3fd3313592]

Drakier

23-09-2004 08:26:24

Admin don't read between the lines. I didn't make any of those first posts. I was simply replying to the post about PodWatch and its possible contents of malware which I had seen a few times previously.

as I said in my last post, can we just stop trying to slander everyone, and EVERYONE get the facts?

illicit

23-09-2004 08:33:49

Just a side note I did not say the word ICFreePod once in this thread

caveman

23-09-2004 08:37:27

[quotede6d6d2263="illicit"]Just a side note I did not say the word ICFreePod once in this thread[/quotede6d6d2263]

except just now ;)

illicit

23-09-2004 08:40:55

-P

MusicMan

23-09-2004 10:15:17

I don't know if I trust ICFreePod. And there's a few reasons for this

1) You seem so adamant about pushing it onto people. It's great that you designed a product to assist with status checks...but if that's the case, why do you need to fervently promote it? It's almost as if you're trying to gain something from it.
2) You're always defending your product from the very beginning, even before there's mention of it stealing sensitive data.
3) The application uses over 20 megs of memory when running, which is pretty rediculous for something that periodically scans a website. This is comparable to Macromedia Flash, and moreso than MS Outlook. GMail notifier takes less than 3 megs to run, and I had that checking for new mail more frequently than ICFreePod.

IpodFace

23-09-2004 10:32:45

There is a Firefox extension you guys can use, it automatically refresh the site every N seconds/minutes..

IpodFace

23-09-2004 10:35:37

You guys should just make the app open source, that way people will know it's safe and you will get help from everyone else finding bugs and adding/fixing features.

Drakier

23-09-2004 11:12:52

MusicMan.. it uses 20 megs of memory because most of that is related to the .NETurl==http://=http:///url Framework. Any C# or VB.NET app will use up a lot of memory. That is one of the drawbacks of the .NETurl==http://=http:///url Application.

As far as defending my program, where have I defended it adamantly? I've never been accused of stealing information, therefore I haven't had a need to defend it (although I would). There has never been meantion that I've seen of my program stealing sensitive data. There has been posts that has PodWatch rumored to steal data. That was the intention of my post originally.

I'm not promoting because I have something to gain. I'm promoting because I'm pro-option. ICFreePod is just another option for monitoring status. It is by far not the only app, as PodWatch (especially the new one) seems to do it as well. There are differences in our applications which is why I made it. There are things I wanted PodWatch to do that it didn't do. So I wrote my own program which was like podwatch, and I added the feature I thought were lacking.

Its all about options. I'm just providing another option to users. If they want to use PodWatch, this new version seems safe to use, so by all means, if that is your choice, use it. If you want to use ICFreePod, then that is another choice. It has different features. Different uses. PodWatch right now cannot update your webpage with live statistics. ICFreePod can. lishrugli its all about featuers and options. I never have said that people have to use my program. I just promote it because it is mine, and because some people would like to know that there are options.

Options are good.

DIGITALgimpus

23-09-2004 11:22:40

Sniff Sniff... smells fishy.

Unless I review and compile my own bits, I wouldn't trust either.

Drakier

23-09-2004 11:35:27

Which part smells fishy exactly?

Load PodWatch and look at how much memory it uses. It is about the same for ICFreePod.

most of that memory usage is .NETurl==http://=http:///url Framework. Last benchmark I did on it, about 12MEGS of memory was loaded JUST from the .NETurl==http://=http:///url Framework for Windows forms.

if it smells too fishy for you, then don't use it (mine or his). I've looked through PodWatch and as far as I could tell it was clean. There was a lot of code to look through, and I didin't disect each line, but generally, its good. As for myself, I'm an established 3rd party developer for the Asheron's Call MMORPG. If you're interested in "checking on me" then you can go to http//vnboards.ign.com/AC_Utilities/b5432/ and either ask about me, or look for me there to. Please read and obey the ToS however.

easternfunk

23-09-2004 13:01:53

I used both the programs and like them both. I am not trying to take sides here.

Being a former hardcore AC player I have know about Drakier and his program for a long time. If he wanted to steal things he would have started a long time ago.

TaterSalad

23-09-2004 13:10:50

This thread isnt about Podwatch vs ICFreeIpod. This thread was simply designed to announce the release of the first public version of Podwatch. So unless you have digital proof that Podwatch apparently "steals" your information, I dare you to post it. And for everyone claiming that it does "steal" your information, have you checked it out with a packet sniffer? No. Do you know anything about computer security? No. On what grounds do you have a say in this? None. And if you are just like "I think I'll just access thru the website and hit refresh every 10 seconds to see if I got any new yellows," then you deserve to waste your life sitting over the refresh button.

I personally have tested all of the private and public versions. None of them did anything malacious. So dont be gay. Download Podwatch and then thank illicit for his efforts, as they often go unthanked.

Thank you illiict for your great program. I dont have to go to freeli.com everyday to check my status now.