Work vs. Apt. Addresses.... and an EVIL EMAIL!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=4857

LizM

18-01-2005 13:16:10

I have a friend who is about to sign up under me... my first referral! I'm so excited.

She lives across the hall from me in my apartment building... I'm 10M, she's 10T. Same street address. I know this can be a problem, so I told her to use her work address.

She's wondering if it's a good idea to use her work address, as there are over 150 people who work at her company, and she's worried that at least one of them will be signing up as well. Would this pose a problem or raise a red flag? Will she be ok as long as none of HER referrals are coworkers who use their work address?

Also, she says someone sent her the following email

---------------------------------------------------------------
By giving your address up front (email AND home) and asking 5 other friends to do the same, this basically gives them a huge spam and junk snail mail database (probably the true motivation of this company), then you start getting tons of junk mail and spam delivered to you. Also, by registering in any of the trial service, also addes your name, phone number, address, email to a growing list of dupes.

In the end, you "may" receive a free iPod ( I am sure there will be some caveat/trick like they will say one of your friends supposedly didn't fullfill their part of the bargain ), but the hassle of having to cancel services (which will try very hard to sucker you back in) and receiving lots of crap in the mail is not worth it really.

Site claims that users are likely to receive refurbished iPods and not new ones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just what I need for my first referral, who's already getting sketched out as it is! I told her that my philosophy is that so many companies know so much about us as it is, that you may as well get something out of it. Plus, you can always asked to be taken off of calling and mailing lists. A $300 ipod is nothing to sneeze at, and to me, it's worth the "hassle".

Is there anything else that anyone here can think of that would make her feel better?

Thanks guys!!!

jadem

18-01-2005 13:23:42

I haven't received any spam mail from the site. I received my ipod in Oct, I know people who have received theirs since and so far, they've all been brand new. No refurbies.

If she's worried about spam, offer her a gmail account to use (if you have invites). If she's worried about junk snail mail, well, taht's not cost effective from a marketing standpoint anymore. That's why spam is so big. They would waste all the money they got when she completed the offer just to send her snail mail? Nope, not gonna happen.

When she cancels, she can request to be removed from their database completely to avoid any extra junk from that company.

If she's still sketchy, you can always get bitchy and ask how she got through life being so cautious about everything. If she never took a risk, then she's living a shell with her rose-colored glasses on. But I don't think you want to be that way towards a friend. wink

Good luck, I had a hard time convincing my friends to do this.

adenosine

18-01-2005 13:28:00

Tell her how easy it was for you to do your service, and how much you think the service was worth. Tell her that you've signed up for many of these offers and have had no problems.

Show her the images from the brag bag. You can't fake that kind of proof.

Dais781

18-01-2005 13:28:56

You have the right idea. Tell your friend don't worry about the spam, cause i've signed up for 4 sites and i hardly get any spam in the email I use. The work address, however might casue a problem. I dont think that same apartment building is a problem but I do think it's better than the work address.

The apt address could raise a flag. Anyone else have an opinion on this.

LizM

18-01-2005 13:29:40

Hee hee... yeah that might be a little harsh, considering she's at a very delicate stage right now.

So should she do the apartment address or the work address?

Also, she was messing aroudn with the site and it advanced her to the offer stage without letting her put in her address. So she put in a new address and is starting over. Is that ok?

I'm so stressed! I really want this to work!!!!

Dais781

18-01-2005 13:31:36

If she's making another account just make sure ths doesn't touch the other one. Casue that would just screw both of you up.

Tholek

18-01-2005 23:49:15

This is just another reason why people need to create new email accounts dedicated to the offers.

LizM

19-01-2005 11:12:18

Yeah, she didn't want to do that. (

But the general consensus is that an apartment address is "safer" than a work address?

I'm also wondering if I should try to contact Gratis NOW about her multiple accounts and the apartment address. As a show of good faith. Plus, it looks like it might be awhile before I get my next referral, so I have plenty of time...

Dais781

19-01-2005 14:59:03

No let her email gratis saying that she accidentally made the other account. You might get put on hold for 'walking her through the process', if you send it.

LizM

19-01-2005 15:35:44

Whew... glad I asked!!! Thanks!

And I guess now is a good time to confess that I did the exact same thing she did... I started to fill out the form, got a little overexcited and clicked on the offers page, and when I hit the back button, the address page was gone. I panicked and figured the only thing to do was start over with a new email. Stupid Stupid Stupid, I know. Like I said I panicked. I was excited and uninformed... a lethal combination.

I was thinking maybe I should email Gratis now about my multiple accounts. In theory, I'd probably have more pull with them now, if I say that I'd like to know if I was going to be put on hold, because if I am, then I won't bother to go through the process of getting more referrals.

Or I could wait to see if they put me on hold, and then be at their mercy after I've already gotten the referrals. But then they wouldn't have anything to gain from me anymore. I dunno, just a thought. What do you guys think?

Dais781

19-01-2005 15:49:15

For future reference, if you don't put in your address the first time, you do have a second chance at doing it when you actually order the ipod. Whether or not this will affect your account, I don't know. If you do get put on hold, just tell them what happend and you should be all set.