new ipod not working well and may need replacement

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=46004

hanz

19-09-2006 14:57:15

hello,
I have a 30G video iPod that I received from FreePay. I think there's a problem with the battery. I'd charge the iPod for 6 days straight and when I use it for 1 hour and then pause it, the power is completely depleted.

I was wondering how I can have the iPod replaced.

For me to have it fixed/replaced for free under the Apple Warranty, Apple needs the sales receipt.

Please advise.

tinman5

19-09-2006 15:39:52

http//depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

enter your serial number at the bottom of that page then you'll have to fill out some basic info about whats wrong with the ipod. They will then send you a box for you to put your ipod in and send back to be serviced.

P.S. - The problem is probably the fact that you charged it for 6 days straight. You should unplug the ipod as soon as it is fully charged.

hanz

19-09-2006 15:44:24

[quote0fe1928cb2="tinman5"] The problem is probably the fact that you charged it for 6 days straight. You should unplug the iPod as soon as it is fully charged.[/quote0fe1928cb2]

Is that so? Perhaps, I should try to unplug the iPod upon reaching full charge.

But I thought I read the iPod manual saying that it's okay to leavet the iPod plugged in. I thought the manual said it didn't hurt to keep the iPod plugged in even when it's fully charged. Did I read wrong?

hanz

19-09-2006 15:46:40

[quote1fc0e7457e="tinman5"]http//depot.info.apple.com/iPod/

enter your serial number at the bottom of that page then you'll have to fill out some basic info about whats wrong with the iPod. They will then send you a box for you to put your iPod in and send back to be serviced.
[/quote1fc0e7457e]

But won't Apple ask for a receipt, or some sort of proof that shows that it's been used for less than one year? If I remember correctly, FreePay didn't include a sales receipt inside the box that contained the iPod.

ilanbg

19-09-2006 15:47:27

Was it plugged into your computer or wall outlet? I think plugging it into the computer keeps it charging and heating up. shrug

hanz

19-09-2006 15:51:20

ilanbg,
thanks for your reply. To answer your question, the iPod was plugged into my computer.

Is there any (5th gen) iPod user who keeps their iPod plugged into their computer when not in use, but doesn't have this battery problem that I face?

For those who usually unplug their iPod from their computer upon full charge, would you mind trying to keep your iPod charged for several days after full charge and see if there's a change?

tinman5

19-09-2006 15:55:35

[quotebd04e4d956="hanz"][quotebd04e4d956="tinman5"]http//depot.info.apple.com/iPod/

enter your serial number at the bottom of that page then you'll have to fill out some basic info about whats wrong with the iPod. They will then send you a box for you to put your iPod in and send back to be serviced.
[/quotebd04e4d956]

But won't Apple ask for a receipt, or some sort of proof that shows that it's been used for less than one year? If I remember correctly, FreePay didn't include a sales receipt inside the box that contained the iPod.[/quotebd04e4d956]

They didn't include a receipt, but if you use that site Apple will take the serial number and use it to check the registration. If the ipod is still under warranty then you will only have to pay shipping, if it isn't still under warranty, you'll have to pay to have it repaired/replaced.

hanz

19-09-2006 16:00:47

[quote80195a9468="tinman5"] They didn't include a receipt, but if you use that site Apple will take the serial number and use it to check the registration. If the iPod is still under warranty then you will only have to pay shipping, if it isn't still under warranty, you'll have to pay to have it repaired/replaced.[/quote80195a9468]

But I only remembered to register on the Apple site after I was having problems with the battery power. Won't they get suspicious, and therefore ask for proof (sales receipt) if I ask for a replacement so soon?

The online registration, if I remember correctly, didn't ask for date of purchase. So the only date Apple has is the date I registered.

(

ilanbg

19-09-2006 16:02:59

Wait a few days and bring it in. They really won't make a big fuss.

hanz

19-09-2006 16:07:17

[quoteae442689a1="ilanbg"]Wait a few days and bring it in. They really won't make a big fuss.[/quoteae442689a1]

When you say "[bae442689a1]bring it in[/bae442689a1]", you mean go to http//depot.info.apple.com/ipod/, and start the warranty process, yes?

May I ask you what makes you think they won't make a big fuss? Just seeking some assurance.

thank you!

hanz

19-09-2006 16:12:29

I've just read http//www.apple.com/ca/support/service/terms/index.html?serialNumber=

"Apple may charge you a diagnostic fee including shipping charges, of no more than one hundred ($100) dollars US, (ÒDiagnostic FeeÓ), plus applicable tax, if Apple inspects your product and determines based on the inspection that the product does not require service"

Yikes. So how can i make sure that my Ipod requires service? I don't want to get charged the diagnostic fee.

ilanbg

19-09-2006 16:34:24

Is it under warranty?

If so, take it to their store and they'll replace it.

What's the worst that can happen?

hanz

19-09-2006 16:45:54

oh, so you meant the Apple Store and not by mail-in. There's no apple store where I'm at.

ilanbg

19-09-2006 16:52:04

Call Apple? I dunno. shrug

hanz

19-09-2006 17:14:50

Call apple for what?
For seeing if my iPod needs to be sent in for repair?

If ever they accept phone calls, they'd probably just suggest for to come to a decision and that I send it in.

ilanbg

19-09-2006 17:16:36

I don't know what you want us to say. Call Apple and see if they can send you a box to have them replace it.

eric89074

19-09-2006 18:58:54

My ipod was sent from pcmall and it had a packing slip which had the purchase date on it.

kuhars5

19-09-2006 22:17:14

I got my 60gb ipod from freepay today and I have no problems with it was brand new from pcmall.com and it was fully charged when I opened it.

hanz

19-09-2006 22:20:40

kuhars5, congrats on your new present! I received my iPod brand new, too. (I think everything from FreePay is brandnew.) I didn't open the box immediately however. So it was discharged when I did come to opening it.

hanz

19-09-2006 22:22:56

I'm testing my iPod to see if there's anything wrong with the battery. I'm following the instructions on http//docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61475, "Accurately determine your iPod battery life".

The only thing I don't know is whether I should have a pair of headphones plugged, and if so, at what volume to put them.

I have decided to unplug any earphones.

toiletpaper55

21-09-2006 20:28:56

[quote4c7244a4de="hanz"]hello,
I have a 30G video iPod that I received from FreePay. I think there's a problem with the battery. I'd charge the iPod for 6 days straight and when I use it for 1 hour and then pause it, the power is completely depleted.

I was wondering how I can have the iPod replaced.

For me to have it fixed/replaced for free under the Apple Warranty, Apple needs the sales receipt.

Please advise.[/quote4c7244a4de]

no this happened to me recently w/ my trainn ipod that i got back in july, id charge it, listen to it for 1/2 hour to an hour and itd drain, or ill charge it and leave it and in like 4 to 5 hours it just be dead

i took mine to the apple store and after a long ass wait, they gave me a sheet of paper telling me to get the new software, i went home pissed and got it but the problem stayed so i went back the next day and they replaced it for me

so take it to apple store with new software in it

hanz

21-09-2006 22:20:07

i did the battery check, and it seems to last at least 13 hours. (apple says 14 hours is what they get as a result). So i think my battery is fine.