using another's credit card to sign up for something?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=4280

benton netty

24-12-2004 00:45:03

hi,

just wondering -- i have a friend who wants to sign up as a referral, but they don't have their own credit card. can they still sign up for an offer, only using someone else's (a person they live with) credit card info? will gratis be able to view this person's credit card info/billing address/etc., and think that they're trying to pull something shady on them?

i would assume that gratis only looks at a referral's address/email address on the freeipods.com site and uses those things to check for validity. i don't know if they can view your personal credit card/shipping info through the offers a person signs up for...or can they? if so, that would mean that gratis has access to your credit card and billing info, which seems like something they shouldn't have, or wouldn't need. only the offering companies would have access to that, right?

thanks in advance for any help you all can offer. thought i would ask here before i did anything.

Tholek

24-12-2004 03:22:04

If they have a checking account, they probably have a Bank ATM card that doubles as a Visa or Mastercard debit card.

They can use that for some of the offers.

benton netty

24-12-2004 08:09:42

well, yes, but some people don't exactly have more than a few pennies in their checking accounts, i suppose.

i'm being asked if a person can use a credit card that is not their own, but rather belongs to someone they live with.

FreeOffersNow

24-12-2004 08:10:40

yes, but you can't use the same CC to do the same offer on two different accounts.

benton netty

24-12-2004 09:06:31

[quote504b28b1d0="FreeOffersNow"]yes, but you can't use the same CC to do the same offer on two different accounts.[/quote504b28b1d0]

well, that makes sense. i guess the offering company would report to gratis that someone used the same card twice with them. but i'm not worried about this happening with me. i just have a referral that wants to borrow a roommate's card to sign up, and i want to make sure that this isn't a bad thing.

just curious, how do you know that the answer is "yes," and can anyone else confirm this? i.e., did they use someone else's card to sign up for something?

FreeOffersNow

24-12-2004 09:14:59

Companies will only pay for unique new customers, however they do not release billing information (i.e. credit card information) to Gratis, or any other affiliate (read the Privacy Policy). Therefore, Gratis doesn't know what card is used for what account, only if they are receiving credit (payment).

If you're gonna ask...you should probably try not to question the answer...it's insulting.

Tholek

24-12-2004 11:44:47

[quote4840cab27c="FreeOffersNow"]If you're gonna ask...you should probably try not to question the answer...it's insulting.[/quote4840cab27c]

You shouldn't be so sensitive, nor take it personally...

He's right to ask for clarification, and I'd do the same. The world of freebies is one that you can never know too much about before taking the plunge.

I'm sure someone here has tried using someone else's card and can tell him what happened.

FreeOffersNow

24-12-2004 11:58:08

Well, next time I'll wait and see if anyone will reply before I help someone out. Compliments of Tholek.

techdude05

27-12-2004 18:25:12

would gratis even know your credit card number? i mean, think about it you join some trial offer in a different site, wouldnt that different site just tell gratis that you signed up with them and then pay gratis commission? blockbuster telling gratis your credit card number sounds kinda iffy -\