Freepay TOS

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=41713

zdub08

21-06-2006 18:30:35

I recently started an ipods.freepay.com account. I was reading their TOS and a few quesions came to mind. What exactly is a "unique" person? Am i allowed to refer someone with the same last name as long as they have a different mailing address? Also, I used my own debit card to pay for a referral's offer. Would there be any way for freepay to tell that I paid for their offer as long as the information they initially signed up with was different?

egyptianruin

21-06-2006 18:36:29

Paying for their offer is fraudulent. It's like walking a referral through something, you shouldn't do it.

EDolive

22-06-2006 06:11:08

[quote0323252374="zdub08"]I recently started an ipods.freepay.com account. I was reading their TOS and a few quesions came to mind. What exactly is a "unique" person? Am i allowed to refer someone with the same last name as long as they have a different mailing address? Also, I used my own debit card to pay for a referral's offer. Would there be any way for freepay to tell that I paid for their offer as long as the information they initially signed up with was different?[/quote0323252374]

no sure what they consider a unique person... i had a problem with that.... 2 people from the same computer signed up for me and they canceled them....
(

samz465

22-06-2006 06:37:07

Thats not unique thats why.

Unique means

Different name, Adress, phone number, ISP IP address,

and I think a few other elements.

icy

22-06-2006 07:21:19

www.trainn.org

EDolive

22-06-2006 07:57:48

[quote5ac35e8d5d="samz465"]Thats not unique thats why.

Unique means

Different name, Adress, phone number, ISP IP address,

and I think a few other elements.[/quote5ac35e8d5d]

i think that its stupid that someone who is trying to get lets say a free computer cant usse my computer to get one.... i think that checking IPs is stupid

ILoveToys

22-06-2006 08:23:41

^ If they didn't check IP's then someone would sign up 5 times over w/ different email addresses and fake info to get an ipod...It would be stupid not to check ip's.

Captain All That

22-06-2006 08:51:39

I think having to get multiple referrals is stupid. I like the Ideal Intro Business Model, 6 offers and 1 referral.

And everyone seems to be convinced that signing up multiple times with various emails and completing different offers is fraud... Wouldn't it make more sense to have one person complete multiple offers.

jeff7602

22-06-2006 09:19:32

[quoteaadd2a0abf="Captain All That"]I think having to get multiple referrals is stupid. I like the Ideal Intro Business Model, 6 offers and 1 referral.

And everyone seems to be convinced that signing up multiple times with various emails and completing different offers is fraud... Wouldn't it make more sense to have one person complete multiple offers.[/quoteaadd2a0abf]

No, because they are in the business of making money, and that would mean sending out more products. More stuff for us means less $ for them. It would make more sense if their goal was to give away as much free stuff as they could, but that's not what they are trying to do here.

zdub08

22-06-2006 13:33:19

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure i screwed myself..icy's advice sounds good though!

dmorris68

22-06-2006 19:07:25

C'mon guys... think about this for a minute and apply some common sense.

This business is RIFE with fraud. Everybody who can fraud and get away with it, generally will. That puts them out of business and frankly none of us would be discussing this, much less have received anything. This is why [bc014ebed4c]every single freebie site in existance[/bc014ebed4c] has the rule about no multiple signups from the same PC or location.

IP address checking remains one of the most reliable indicators of fraud when taken in context and weighed with other user data. To eliminate IP checking would basically make it impossible to detect all but the most stupid of fraudsters who would make duplicate accounts with the same info. There is NO other way to semi-reliably identify people via the internet!

The only thing freebie site owners have to understand (and some do, but many do not) is that IP's by themselves cannot always indicate fraud. Residential IP's are dynamic, with rare exception, and shared amongst the ISP's customers in that area. So as freebie sites become more and more popular, it will be very common to see multiple signups from the same IP, but from completely different people who don't know each other. Tomorrow my neighbor, or a guy across town, might have the same IP as I had a week ago, and if he signs up to the same sites I did, then a red flag will be raised. Today the odds of this are probably fairly low, although I'm sure not non-existant.

So while IP can't be relied on liexclusivelyli to detect fraud, it is still a very critical element to doing so. Freebie site anti-fraud algorithms are usually quite intelligent at analyzing IP trends along with other user data to ferret out fraudsters, but given the limited amount of information they have to draw from, no doubt they will err on the side of caution and DQ honest people sometimes. There is no way to be 100% accurate, and if you don't eliminate everything that could lipossiblyli be fraud, then you run the risk of being overrun by it.

It's really common sense (once you understand the technical perspective) and honestly it just isn't that hard to abide by those rules. Most TOS's lay this rule out in black and white, so there's really no excuse for not knowing it, and certainly no excuse or room for complaining when being disqualified because you violated it.

zdub08

22-06-2006 19:49:09

I thought there were programs (proxy something or other?) that constantly changed a computer's IP address so websites couldn't log the IP. Wouldnt that make a freebie site's IP rules and tracking worthless and allow people to cheat?

dmorris68

22-06-2006 20:16:22

[quote08daa3481c="zdub08"]I thought there were programs (proxy something or other?) that constantly changed a computer's IP address so websites couldn't log the IP. Wouldnt that make a freebie site's IP rules and tracking worthless and allow people to cheat?[/quote08daa3481c]
Proxies don't exactly work the way you describe, although they do mask the originating IP. However proxies are pretty easily detectable on the destination end, and for anti-fraud reasons are almost universally forbidden by freebie sites. Again, read their TOS.

spongebob253

22-06-2006 23:12:25

Very well said in your summary David. I just had to say that.

brian72004

23-06-2006 05:58:14

Unless I missed it, freepay's TOS does not say anything directly about tracking IP's, proxies etc. It only seems to mention that you can only have one account per shipping address and forbids walkthroughs.