web certificate question

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=3814

raveypoo

05-12-2004 14:05:26

hi im new to frreipodguide and i have a few questions. Im considering sending 5 web certificates to 5 of my friends that dont have credit cards so they can complete an offer for me. My question is that, will gratis become suspicious that all my refferals are using web certificates, even though they will all be unique users?
Also, if my sister in college in a different state signs up under me with her own credit card, will i be put on hold even if her adress is in another state but her last name is the same as mine?

Collateral

05-12-2004 14:11:38

Gratis won't become suspicious if your friends use web certificates simply because Gratis never has access to them. The only people that see them is the companys that your friends sign up to. I wouldn't think that gratis would put you or your sister on hold if she lives in a different state.

FreeOffersNow

05-12-2004 15:02:53

( Actually, I believe Gratis is privy to the information (billing address, payment method, etc.) used to complete the offers. This makes sense because how else would they be able to place holds on accounts that used the same CC for referral offers?

Collateral

05-12-2004 16:41:22

[quote182d2a35de="FreeOffersNow"]( Actually, I believe Gratis is privy to the information (billing address, payment method, etc.) used to complete the offers. This makes sense because how else would they be able to place holds on accounts that used the same CC for referral offers?[/quote182d2a35de]

It's a web cert. They have different credit card numbers on them, therefor Gratis wouldn't be suspicious because the address and credit card # is different.

FreeOffersNow

05-12-2004 17:17:48

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I don't think they would be suspicious. I was simply saying that I think they have access to what was used to complete the offer (CC account, WebCert, etc.)

Mr. A

05-12-2004 21:09:58

[quote47a6068140]Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I don't think they would be suspicious. I was simply saying that I think they have access to what was used to complete the offer (CC account, WebCert, etc.)
----------
This makes sense because how else would they be able to place holds on accounts that used the same CC for referral offers?[/quote47a6068140]

They are not privy to any of the financial information... none of it.

What happens in those cases is the advertiser simply says, "these X referrals are fraudulent, suspect, etc and we're not paying for them."
Gratis then denies credit for those offers.
If Gratis gives specifics about billing issues (such as the same cc used for multiple accounts), it's almost assured to be an assumed reason, not a confirmed reason since they don't have access to such information.

hedwig_da_owl

06-12-2004 08:29:10

[quote8c8dd1916d="Mr. A"][quote8c8dd1916d]Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I don't think they would be suspicious. I was simply saying that I think they have access to what was used to complete the offer (CC account, WebCert, etc.)
----------
This makes sense because how else would they be able to place holds on accounts that used the same CC for referral offers?[/quote8c8dd1916d]

They are not privy to any of the financial information... none of it.

What happens in those cases is the advertiser simply says, "these X referrals are fraudulent, suspect, etc and we're not paying for them."
Gratis then denies credit for those offers.
If Gratis gives specifics about billing issues (such as the same cc used for multiple accounts), it's almost assured to be an assumed reason, not a confirmed reason since they don't have access to such information.[/quote8c8dd1916d]

Just a doubt - how are you so sure about this stuff - you are n00b and talk like you have actually see this stuff. Coz am afraid you are giving wrong information or may be am wrong..but you will have to justify.

raveypoo

06-12-2004 14:02:17

so would u guys recomend sending web certs to my friends since they dont have credit cards? or is there an easier way?

FreeOffersNow

06-12-2004 14:58:01

Everything Mr. A said makes sense, I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. Perhaps he is correct. Anyhow, web certificates should be fine, just make sure they don't use the same computer, last name, or identical shipping addresses. Money is money, and that's what these companies are looking for.

Mr. A

06-12-2004 15:49:47

[quotefc22a0ca7b]Just a doubt - how are you so sure about this stuff - you are n00b and talk like you have actually see this stuff. Coz am afraid you are giving wrong information or may be am wrong..but you will have to justify.[/quotefc22a0ca7b]

I work with several of the companies that Gratis does, as well as many others... and they are my sole income. Gratis may be unique in giving away pricy increntives to encourage sign ups, but as far as getting people to sign up for the trials & such, they are just another one of the thousands that works with these companies.

Over the past 5 years or so, Im probably reaching up to 100 for the number of companies that I've run programs for. Not a single one has given me any personal information about the users that I didn't already have.

The way Gratis knows you completed an offer is similar to the following
When the page is displayed, the offer links contain a unique number for you (for example. 590234) that is passed along to the offer site. When an offer is completed, the offer site simply tells Gratis, "hey, user 590234 completed an offer". Gratis then checks that number with their db to see which user it is & give them creidt for the offer.... NO personal information, especially billing info, is passed from one to the other.

Seriously... do you really think Blockbuster, NYTimes, etc are going to share any billing information?? Check their privacy policies if you do.

FreeOffersNow

06-12-2004 16:11:28

Excellent points, glad to have such an "insider" on our side )

raveypoo

06-12-2004 17:13:22

[quote703c217507="Mr. A"][quote703c217507]Just a doubt - how are you so sure about this stuff - you are n00b and talk like you have actually see this stuff. Coz am afraid you are giving wrong information or may be am wrong..but you will have to justify.[/quote703c217507]

I work with several of the companies that Gratis does, as well as many others... and they are my sole income. Gratis may be unique in giving away pricy increntives to encourage sign ups, but as far as getting people to sign up for the trials & such, they are just another one of the thousands that works with these companies.

Over the past 5 years or so, Im probably reaching up to 100 for the number of companies that I've run programs for. Not a single one has given me any personal information about the users that I didn't already have.

The way Gratis knows you completed an offer is similar to the following
When the page is displayed, the offer links contain a unique number for you (for example. 590234) that is passed along to the offer site. When an offer is completed, the offer site simply tells Gratis, "hey, user 590234 completed an offer". Gratis then checks that number with their db to see which user it is & give them creidt for the offer.... NO personal information, especially billing info, is passed from one to the other.

Seriously... do you really think Blockbuster, NYTimes, etc are going to share any billing information?? Check their privacy policies if you do.[/quote703c217507]

thanks a lot Mr. A. that was very helpful, but i have one last question. Have there been many instances wherea ccounts would be put on hold because of same last names? im gonna use my sister as a refferal but she has the same last name but totally different shipping adress

Mr. A

06-12-2004 17:49:29

[quotefaceb03a9f="raveypoo"]thanks a lot Mr. A. that was very helpful, but i have one last question. Have there been many instances wherea ccounts would be put on hold because of same last names? im gonna use my sister as a refferal but she has the same last name but totally different shipping adress[/quotefaceb03a9f]

As long as the accounts were on diff emails, different IP addy's, different mailing addy's, etc there [bfaceb03a9f]should[/bfaceb03a9f] be no problem... but that's something that would be entirely up to Gratis' discretion. IIRC, there have been a few people here say that was the only possible explanation for being put on hold, but one has to wonder whether they are telling the entire story or not.

Just to clarify though... I'm more "in the know" with how Gratis communicates & does business with other businesses... not "in the know" on how Gratis handles things internally & with us (the users), which is where the issue of relatives would lie. That being said I personally wouldn't worry about it if last names were the only thing in common with the accounts.

turpentinedreams

06-12-2004 18:06:55

so i could just buy one web cert and share it?

raveypoo

06-12-2004 18:19:21

no cause its like having one credit card and sharing it i think

hedwig_da_owl

06-12-2004 18:34:35

[quote2f9dd90198="Mr. A"][quote2f9dd90198="raveypoo"]thanks a lot Mr. A. that was very helpful, but i have one last question. Have there been many instances wherea ccounts would be put on hold because of same last names? im gonna use my sister as a refferal but she has the same last name but totally different shipping adress[/quote2f9dd90198]

As long as the accounts were on diff emails, different IP addy's, different mailing addy's, etc there [b2f9dd90198]should[/b2f9dd90198] be no problem... but that's something that would be entirely up to Gratis' discretion. IIRC, there have been a few people here say that was the only possible explanation for being put on hold, but one has to wonder whether they are telling the entire story or not.

Just to clarify though... I'm more "in the know" with how Gratis communicates & does business with other businesses... not "in the know" on how Gratis handles things internally & with us (the users), which is where the issue of relatives would lie. That being said I personally wouldn't worry about it if last names were the only thing in common with the accounts.[/quote2f9dd90198]

You just earned your first karma!! Rock on..

Mr. A

06-12-2004 18:55:43

[quotefb5048b4a2]> so i could just buy one web cert and share it?

no cause its like having one credit card and sharing it i think[/quotefb5048b4a2]

You could [ifb5048b4a2]most likely[/ifb5048b4a2] use the same webcert/ccard on [ifb5048b4a2]different[/ifb5048b4a2] offers. Like stated above, Gratis isn't privy to that payment info... but using the same exact payment method on the same offer, two times, could trigger alarms with the sponsor. If that happened, the sponsor would not pay Gratis for the signups, and then Gratis wouldn't give you credit.

However... if you used the same WebCert/CCard for two [ifb5048b4a2]different[/ifb5048b4a2] offers... I can't think of any way it would come back to you.