A Warning to All!!!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=3804

Leviathan

05-12-2004 09:22:39

Here is the situation

I completed all the requirements and was STV 10/22. I received my IPOD on 12/3, so I was pretty Happy. The problem is that I received a call from the Fraud Department of my credit card company to check on some recent activity that they believed to be fraud. I have about $800 worth of charges recently on a credit card that I have not used in 6 months. However, this was the card that I used to sign up for both INFONE and ANCESTRY with. I am not saying that this is the cause of the Fraud, but it is certainly a possibility. Like I said, I have not used my card anywhere else in the past 6 months, and all of a sudden, my card number is stolen.

Just a warning to all who are signing up with their credit card numbers, we have no clue who the companies may be giving the numbers to.

Guitardy

05-12-2004 09:28:44

I don't think its either of those companies responsible for said action. My friend had his card frauded 2 times in the last year, once in europe and once here, and he didn't use it to sign up for anything online, merely to pay bills. It's simply a coincidence that you have used it for those

FreeOffersNow

05-12-2004 09:45:44

Read the news...hackers have accessed databases containing VISA and MasterCard information...you no longer need to even use your credit card to be a victim of fraud. It's just a game of chance...

liliThese databases contained data on other credit card companies but I do not recall which so I will not list them here

Randyspawn

05-12-2004 20:02:29

Seriously, your chances of being a victim of CC fraud are probably greater each week when you take out the trash, unless you shred everything.

callaforn

06-12-2004 16:51:46

I haven't had card activity that I know of, but I got something in the mail today addressed to the name I only use on credit cards (and accompanying phone calls last week to the seldom-used number I used for signing up on offers from the same company). I've never had a problem before all the "free stuff" sites.

If you get a mysterious phone message that is "not a sales or credit agency" call and asks you to call back, or a postcard addressed to you from CRC in Florida, don't respond. It is a scam.

emoemodude

06-12-2004 17:06:18

Also people do hack onto computers and so when you type the #s in people can get them if they aren't secure pages. So what's up with it now? Do you have to pay or what?

jfried

06-12-2004 17:07:02

maybe you got hit with a key logger, thats how some guys hack accounts here, and maybe got your CC number from that.

emoemodude

06-12-2004 17:08:44

[quote83755fd8e0="jfried"]maybe you got hit with a key logger, thats how some guys hack accounts here, and maybe got your CC number from that.[/quote83755fd8e0]
I was also going to name that but I forgot the name of it so I just left it out P.

Leviathan

06-12-2004 19:03:22

I am pretty sure it is Not a Key Logger, I have all sorts of firewalls, spy-ware monitors, anti-virus software and so on. I am not liable for any of the charges, and they immediately canceled that card and changed the number.