the bestbuy exchange

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=3802

userfour

05-12-2004 08:51:52

ok, so i've decided that i'd rather have a mini with the difference, which i can then spend on accessories like the itrip.

my question is, how does the exchange actually work? you just walk up to the counter, announce that you want to exchange it, and tell them that you don't have the receipt? then they give you $300 in store credit and take the freeipod from you?

is it always that easy?

Stroid

05-12-2004 09:12:53

From what i understand Bestbuy's policy on returns and exchanges after thanksgiving until New Years is store credit without a reciept. So you can simply tell them it was a gift and you would like to exchange it. Then you will get the store credit whatever selling price that maybe for the ipod. But a question for you would be why downgrade to the mini when the itrip only cost $35? The regular ipod can hold so much more.

userfour

05-12-2004 19:43:26

[quoteb2056cb550="stroid"]From what i understand Bestbuy's policy on returns and exchanges after thanksgiving until New Years is store credit without a reciept. So you can simply tell them it was a gift and you would like to exchange it. Then you will get the store credit whatever selling price that maybe for the ipod. But a question for you would be why downgrade to the mini when the itrip only cost $35? The regular ipod can hold so much more.[/quoteb2056cb550]

you're right. the kicker for me was learning that the ipod mini DOES NOT have a replaceble battery. otherwise, i'd probably still prefer the mini, size for me is a moot point at this much.

Mr. A

06-12-2004 19:05:39

[quotecc0fd816a3]From what i understand Bestbuy's policy on returns and exchanges after thanksgiving until New Years is store credit without a reciept.[/quotecc0fd816a3]

Hmmmm.... today Best Buy basically told me to head elsewhere w/o a receipt.

According to their website
Holiday return and exchange policy
li All purchases made after November 1, 2004 are considered gifts and qualify for extended return and exchange guidelines.
li The return and exchange timelines for gifts begin December 26, 2004.
li The last day for gift returns and exchanges, within guidelines, is January 24, 2005.

Now the above is for website purchases, but maybe the store policy is the same & I'll have more success after xmas.... that is, if I don't find another place... or worse, have given in and opened the friggin thing.

Any success elsewhere? I know Apple stores, but the closest is a lil too far away... 300 miles.

----------------
[bcc0fd816a3]update[/bcc0fd816a3]
CompUSA may be the place
[quotecc0fd816a3]Holiday Returns
At CompUSA, we believe in being fair to our customers. If you are not satisfied with a product you purchased from us during the Holidays (11/14 - 12/24) and you return the product with the original receipt or invoice on or before January 8, 2005, you may exchange the product or receive a refund.[bcc0fd816a3]If you do not have the original receipt, you may exchange unopened product for a CompUSA merchandise card. [/bcc0fd816a3]Items must be in new condition, with the original box, packaging, manuals, accessories, and UPC code.Opened software, games, and videos may only be exchanged for the same title.[/quotecc0fd816a3]

----------------
[bcc0fd816a3]update2 for those heading to CompUSA[/bcc0fd816a3]

Phoned CompUSA & the rep stated the above almost verbatum... bring it in, get credit or a gift card... no receipt needed.
When I got there, things were going as stated until the lady asked the manager to go get a 40gb for the exchange. He asked about a receipt, and said that the above rules are for the "original" receipt... but that at minimum a gift receipt would be needed. However, he told the lady "just this one time." and let me proceed to exchange it.

Stroid

06-12-2004 19:08:17

Well that might be right Mr.A but thats just what they told me at the best buy next to my house. I would definitly agree that you would have more luck after Christmas, but good luck either way.

rseiler

07-12-2004 21:03:07

[quoteb96dcd5451="userfour"]
you're right. the kicker for me was learning that the ipod mini DOES NOT have a replaceble battery. otherwise, i'd probably still prefer the mini, size for me is a moot point at this much.[/quoteb96dcd5451]

It doesn't?
http//www.ipodbattery.com

userfour

07-12-2004 21:29:13

[quote7e58fea03f="rseiler"][quote7e58fea03f="userfour"]
you're right. the kicker for me was learning that the ipod mini DOES NOT have a replaceable battery. otherwise, i'd probably still prefer the mini, size for me is a moot point at this much.[/quote7e58fea03f]

It doesn't?
http//www.ipodbattery.com[/quote7e58fea03f]

hahaha
stupid cnet review
mislead me

back to the mini probably then. thanks )

PoisontheWell

10-12-2004 08:51:11

yeah I went to best buy and c city and neither one would take mine back without a receipt..even though they are sold out and could sell it to someone who actually wanted it...(I already have one.) ah well...my wife is happy now...she has one to keep in her car... lol

pcmsurf

10-12-2004 10:29:18

wait outside of a blockbuster and ask people if they want an ipod

lol

joelseph

10-12-2004 13:23:19

[quote9430da5aa3="stroid"]From what i understand Bestbuy's policy on returns and exchanges after thanksgiving until New Years is store credit without a reciept. So you can simply tell them it was a gift and you would like to exchange it. Then you will get the store credit whatever selling price that maybe for the ipod. But a question for you would be why downgrade to the mini when the itrip only cost $35? The regular ipod can hold so much more.[/quote9430da5aa3]

Bestbuy wouldn't take mine.

For that matter, neither would the Apple store, Good Guys, nor Meier & Frank.

Target would but they stopped carrying the 40GB model, only the 40GB iPod photo.

nesuser2

10-12-2004 13:52:05

[quote796ba09375="joelseph"]Target would but they stopped carrying the 40GB model, only the 40GB iPod photo.[/quote796ba09375]

What exactly does that have to do with the price of tea in china? I thought you were trying to return your free ipod to a store? Then you were going to buy a mini....