gratis IS checking your IP address....

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=3627

jeffrey k.

29-11-2004 22:13:49

And how do I know this...I have been permanently put on hold because gratis claims that I have been fraudulent with my referrals. Why? Well my brother visited me 3 weeks ago and while he was here he completed an offer for me. In the meantime I got all 5 of my referrals and submitted for approval last week...less than 12 hours later I was put on hold. Gratis claims that it isn't because my brother and I are related, they claim it's because they tracked the referral he completed to my IP address...which would make sense since he was on my wireless DSL. So anyway, they gave me a short lecture and are refusing to take me off hold.

FUCK GRATIS I say.

jeffrey k.

azture

29-11-2004 22:15:33

Um, that's no new news. I'm pretty sure it's in their TOS or something.

jeffrey k.

29-11-2004 22:18:38

[quote1f8de93a68="azture"]Um, that's no new news. I'm pretty sure it's in their TOS or something.[/quote1f8de93a68]

Actually, it's not. And it makes no sense...you have small business' and college kids in dorms doing the same thing off the same IP...are they shutting all of them down? No. This is so random it's ridiculous....

jeffrey k.

CoMpFrEaK

29-11-2004 22:20:34

go ahead gratis check my ip address, i have nothing to hide!

J_Uneek

30-11-2004 02:24:51

I can't believe they even explained themselves shock

danetix

30-11-2004 03:38:46

[quotecfe7bb46cb="jeffrey k."][quotecfe7bb46cb="azture"]Um, that's no new news. I'm pretty sure it's in their TOS or something.[/quotecfe7bb46cb]

Actually, it's not. And it makes no sense...you have small business' and college kids in dorms doing the same thing off the same IP...are they shutting all of them down? No. This is so random it's ridiculous....

jeffrey k.[/quotecfe7bb46cb]

ok...so dont sign up on the same ip. read the TOS. roll

pcmsurf

30-11-2004 03:42:16

most college kids dont all use the same computer

my roomate did an offer and it went through just fine

NETWORK does not = same ip fool

Jpac

30-11-2004 04:32:02

hmm.. do they check the ip you order it at or anything else?

spamrus

30-11-2004 06:25:19

[quote03db53ac20="J_Uneek"]I can't believe they even explained themselves shock[/quote03db53ac20]

Yeah.. it is a shock to me that you get a human written reply. I doubt your claim because gratis does not answer emails.

CollidgeGraduit

30-11-2004 06:41:48

I've received plenty of human responses from Gratis -- you just have to be persistent.

I'm not surprised you got put on hold for your brother signing up from the same computer. Same last name, same IP address -- that SCREAMS same household to Gratis. Because quite a few people try to cheat by having a relative from the same house sign up, but give a different address, they have to rely on IP addresses.

You gotta understand that a company that does what they do is constantly having to deal with a high volume of fraud -- whether it's people signing up under fake accounts, signing up for offers with the sole intent of cancelling (yes, that's cheating them too!), or signing up everyone in their house. They don't have time to contact each suspected person individually -- and it'd be a waste, since I'd wager that 90+% of the suspected people did actually cheat.

Good luck, and if you didn't cheat, I hope you do get taken off hold.. but when they say one account per household, you have to think of how they would detect that it's from the same household.

Similar IPs alone won't get you on hold -- I've gotten a lot of referrals from my nearby college campus and from people using the same ISP as me, and I haven't gotten on hold on any of the Gratis sites.

mindseye1

30-11-2004 07:08:23

[quote300dd232b9="pcmsurf"]NETWORK does not = same ip fool[/quote300dd232b9]

Actually I don't think it's him that is the fool; "network" can very easily mean "same IP". If every computer in the world had a different IP address they would have run out of them many years ago. Computers on networks generally connect to a single gateway or router which gives them all virtual IP addresses, but has it's own public (or internet) IP address. This is called NAT or Network Address Translation, and it is used by pretty much all large businesses (including college campuses) and anyone else who has their own network. Know your stuff before you go name calling.

CoMpFrEaK

30-11-2004 07:09:54

[quote4f9d5d65e9="mindseye1"][quote4f9d5d65e9="pcmsurf"]NETWORK does not = same ip fool[/quote4f9d5d65e9]

Actually I don't think it's him that is the fool; "network" can very easily mean "same IP". If every computer in the world had a different IP address they would have run out of them many years ago. Computers on networks generally connect to a single gateway or router which gives them all virtual IP addresses, but has it's own public (or internet) IP address. This is called NAT or Network Address Translation. Know your stuff before you go name calling.[/quote4f9d5d65e9]

then go take a look at static and dynamic ips

jeffrey k.

30-11-2004 07:32:57

[quote14f347d832="pcmsurf"]most college kids dont all use the same computer

my roomate did an offer and it went through just fine

NETWORK does not = same ip fool[/quote14f347d832]

Listen...first off, we didn't use the same computer, and network typically DOES mean same IP. Why do you think this pisses me off so much? There are people all over this board who have done exactly what I did either with family or a friend and nothing happened...it's all random with Gratis, and in the end my 5 referrals mean nothing. It's NOT in their Terms and Conditions anywhere that different people using the same IP address can't sign up for offers...so in the end this just bullshit. Regardless of having the same last name, if Gratis was actually really checking referrals they would have seen that both his mailing address and credit card are billed over 300 miles from me. But no...I lose all 5 referrals.

jeffrey k.

CollidgeGraduit

30-11-2004 07:53:48

Ca-chink. Locked.