Program for transfering music to ipod?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=362

ldsguy

19-09-2004 09:32:30

I know most of you are probably using iTunes to put music on your pod, but does anyone know how well ml_iPod works? ( http//www.harrison-fisher.co.uk/mlipod/ ) I dont have Windows 2000 or Xp because im too cheap to buy the upgrade, and so far this is the only one I can find thats supposed to be able to work with Windows Me. Is it usable, or would I be better off buying the upgrade disc and using iTunes?

shifuimam

19-09-2004 09:48:19

Wow...considering that Windows Me is like the shittiest version of Windows Microsoft has EVER released...

You really should try upgrading to XP. If you're smart, you'll back up all your shit onto CD or zip or a second hard drive and do a fresh install of XP. Upgrading to XP from Win9x/Me usually has less than desirable results.

Use Anapod Explorer with XP for a really great experience with the iPod...that would be be MY recommendation..

ldsguy

19-09-2004 09:58:51

Haha, yeah Me does suck. My friend had a spare Xp upgrade cd that he gave me, and I tried to upgrade about a month ago, but it screwed up all my drivers and program files, and half the time it wouldnt even boot up properly. It froze way more times then Me ever did for me, so I uninstalled it, then re-installed Me (because it corrupted my registry) and now I dont want anything to do with Xp. Agreeing to the Licence agreement is like selling your soul anyway.
(dont flame me for anything i just said)

Back on track though, does Anapod Explorer work with older os'es too? I know the other versions of Red Chair's software for Creative's mp3 players do.

fresh27

19-09-2004 10:14:38

ml_ipod is good, thats what i use

PallarAndersVisa

19-09-2004 10:17:52

i will 3rd the notion that Win Me sucks. I would upgrade

ldsguy

19-09-2004 10:37:00

I probably will upgrade eventually, its just too much of a hassle right now and I'm fine with what I have. It doesnt suck that bad when you know how to take out all the extra "features" that Microsoft put in, it only freezes once every other day or so for me. And fresh27, do you need to have iTunes installed for ml_ipod to work? I've read in some places that you do, but others that you dont.

PallarAndersVisa

19-09-2004 10:39:24

once every other day hahahahah

man thats gotta suck. I havent had to even restart my computer in about a week

ldsguy

19-09-2004 10:45:46

Yeah, but I'm used to it. I know alot of people who have Me, and their computers freeze multiple times a day. And with my computer, its not really freezing, it just gets really slow from being used for so long without a restart.

Evil_Prof_Frink

19-09-2004 10:45:47

i use ME and it never freezes... god i can't wiat until i can be DONE with this computer though... come on new one!!!

btvsrocks

19-09-2004 13:09:14

[quote0a6abf349f="Evil_Prof_Frink"]i use ME and it never freezes... god i can't wiat until i can be DONE with this computer though... come on new one!!![/quote0a6abf349f]

Ditto.

I mean I would LIKE to upgrade to XP but my computer is pretty old so who knows if it can handle it? Besides, I am a bit too lazy to get all my old programs back.

ANYWAY my question is for [b0a6abf349f]fresh27[/b0a6abf349f], you say you use ml_ipod. Are you using it with Win ME and the 4G iPods now?

Because if it works all fine and dandy, screw it, I will just stay with ME until at least there's a long break at school (maybe when exams come round in November) so if the 'puter messes up, no sweat (as I am in an internet class now so the computer's functionality is pretty important).

fresh27

19-09-2004 13:33:41

no i have xp and a 3g ipod (

shifuimam

19-09-2004 14:57:25

Pretty sure Anapod only works with XP and possibly Win2k...sorry.

As far as your upgrade CD goes, there should be an option in the install to do a FRESH installation of XP. It's really a good idea to upgrade, simply because the OS is so stable and has more features, and it's more secure in general.

Don't do the upgrade from within Windows Me. Boot off the CD and when it asks what you want to do, do whatever option allows you to delete all existing partitions, reformat your HDD, and do a completely new installation of XP. I'm pretty sure that you can do a clean install from an XP upgrade CD.

Upgrading from a 9x-based system to XP is shitty. XP is based on an entirely different kernel. You want to do a clean install of XP with an NTFS format on your drive - not FAT32.

eggman90

19-09-2004 15:01:52

u can use the ipod as a hard drive to stor files rite? how do i do that on windows? on mac u just drag the file on to the ipod icon but i dont have a mac.. lol i gta lear b4 i get the ipod..

ldsguy

19-09-2004 15:02:36

I checked the site for Anapod and it says Runs on Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, and XP
And again, I dont have time to upgrade to Xp, and it would be a huge hassle to backup all my data and re-do everything, but I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually. I'm just not too fond of Xp, or Microsoft itself for that matter.

zatch

19-09-2004 15:05:23

[quote66e3b4033e="ldsguy"]I checked the site for Anapod and it says Runs on Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, and XP
And again, I dont have time to upgrade to Xp, and it would be a huge hassle to backup all my data and re-do everything, but I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually. I'm just not too fond of Xp, or Microsoft itself for that matter.[/quote66e3b4033e]

Well i doubt theres a program for Linux lol

Admin

19-09-2004 15:07:52

Oh? A quick google reveals not only iPod on Linux[=http//neuron.com/~jason/ipod.html]iPod on Linux, but also Linux on iPod![=http//ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/]Linux on iPod!

zatch

19-09-2004 15:18:32

[quotefafb561030="Admin"]Oh? A quick google reveals not only iPod on Linux[=http//neuron.com/~jason/ipod.html]iPod on Linux, but also Linux on iPod![=http//ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/]Linux on iPod![/quotefafb561030]

Whoa! That's awesome x10 but i guess considering most people using linux are developers I shouldn't be surprised.

ldsguy

19-09-2004 15:25:39

Yeah, you can do just about anything with linux. You can even try out linux on your computer without installing it and having it run off of a cd. Lets see windows do that...

Admin

19-09-2004 15:37:44

Ok LDS http//www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I actually have that and built an XP PRO Sp1 bootable cd with it and it's come in handy many a time.

shifuimam

19-09-2004 16:07:36

[quote8d10294430="eggman90"]u can use the ipod as a hard drive to stor files rite? how do i do that on windows? on mac u just drag the file on to the ipod icon but i dont have a mac.. lol i gta lear b4 i get the ipod..[/quote8d10294430]

[quote8d10294430="eggman90 in normal English"]You can use the iPod as hard drive to store files, right? How do I do that on Windows? On a Mac you just drag the file onto the iPod icon, but I don't have a Mac. lol...I need to learn before I get the iPod...[/quote8d10294430]

Now that I actually know what you were saying...you simply plug in the iPod after installing the drivers/software CD and it shows up as a removable drive in Windows Explorer and My Computer. Open up the Data Files folder, and drag and drop.

[quote8d10294430="ldsguy"]Yeah, you can do just about anything with linux. You can even try out linux on your computer without installing it and having it run off of a cd. Lets see windows do that...[/quote8d10294430]

Yeah, Knoppix is cool and all, but for some lame reason I just really love Windows. I love the fact that I have all the software I could ever need and got Office Enterprise 2k3 for free - legitimately. Guess I suck. roll

btvsrocks

19-09-2004 16:29:20

[quoteadc8212267="ldsguy"]I checked the site for Anapod and it says Runs on Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, and XP
. [/quoteadc8212267]

wow so that means, basically, I can run the iPod with Anapod (without having to install iTunes beforehand..?) with my ol' Windows ME? NO UPGRADE HASSLES TO DEAL WITH?

Cause I was always under the impression that it was the iPod's internal software itself that was not compatible with OS's that weren't XP or 2000...not the iTunes software. I am not sure about this fact, however.

Also, in regards to clean installing from ME -> XP, I can just wipe clean the drive/partition that has the OS on it, right? Because I currently have another HD installed as a "slave drive" that just has all my mp3s and whatnot. The C drive is the drive I want to wipe clean as it's the one with the programs and OS.

ldsguy

19-09-2004 16:42:26

Ok, admin, you got me there...
And shifuimam, how well does that Anapod Xtreamer thing thats supposed to let you access your ipod's music over the internet work? It sounds too good to be true.

shifuimam

19-09-2004 17:43:01

Let's see...

As far as the using Anapod with Me goes, you may need to install drivers for the iPod. XP detects it as hardware automatically, but I work almost exclusively with XP, so the Me thing you'll have to try and see.

Anapod Xtreamer has things you need to take into consideration - it's good on the machine the iPod is connected to because it's far more user-friendly than Anapod Explorer for listening to and downloading music from the iPod. However, there are two MAJOR things to consider when using Anapod Xtreamer remotely your internet connection and your computer specs.

If you're running a nice, fast 3.2GHz HT P4 with 1GB dual-channel RAM, using Xtreamer with another computer on your LOCAL network should run pretty fast. So, you could have your desktop with all your mp3s and the iPod in one room and go through Xtreamer on your laptop with your wireless router to play music. There is, however, a plugin for Winamp that does the same thing but with MP3s on your HDD instead of on the iPod. If that's all you want, then use the Winamp plugin - one less thing for the music to go through will make a difference.

However, the other thing to consider is your internet connection. If you're in a college dorm with unlimited upload bandwidth, like my situation last year, you're golden for remote access via the internet and an external IP. If you're on shitty cable or DSL with 180-256kbps upload, it may not be worth it.

It's a fairly simple concept, but if you really want to take your music anywhere, just buy an iTrip and take your iPod with you wherever you go...or get a pair of cheap speakers and haul em around.

btvsrocks

20-09-2004 15:43:31

btw, shifuimam, are you using the trial version or the full version?

shifuimam

20-09-2004 15:56:06

Full Version. I paid and got an activation token for my iPod, which you have to have to use the iPod with anything but the trial version.

The trial version doesn't allow one-touch syncing and also only allows you to download one song at a time to your iPod.

I have discovered two new features that I really like about Anapod, just FYI - There is a "Other albums by this artist..." option in the context menu when you right-click on an MP3 on the iPod, which opens up a little window that shows data pulled from Amazon.com's online database so you can see other albums produced by that artist. Pretty cool if you're looking for a specific album or just want to try a new artist/band.

Also, you can select a big chunk of MP3s on the iPod and mass set any and all fields of the ID3 tag. I used to tag only title/artist, and album/track number if it was a CD rip, but now I'm using Anapod to go through and retag everything with years and genres, so I can make better use of the iPod menus, especially for genres.

There may be other cripples I've forgotten in the free trial download...there's a page on the Anapod site where you pay and/or download the various versions, and it shows a chart of what features are on each version.

btvsrocks

20-09-2004 16:19:45

Yeah I think I'll buy the full version. It looks like (from the features page contrasting the different options) the full version has a lot more features I want and need.

But I think I'll try out the trial version first to see how everything will work out with my computer and my HOPEFULLY COMING SOON iPod because I am hoping/planning to stick with ME for awhile longer and it SAYS it supports ME....but, you know, you never know. s

ldsguy

20-09-2004 16:33:32

Yeah, it might support Me, but with limited features. Alot of stuff is that way. I think I'll use the ml_ipod program till I get the money to buy the full version of Anapod.