Are Freepay scamming their users? Should I stay or go?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=34590

liddlefeesh

05-03-2006 19:04:38

I'm reading with great concern some of the posts on A4F that FreePay appears to be

1) Arbitarily putting people on hold

and

2) Wasting time intentionally (on support tickets and check accounts) so that they don't have to send stuff out

and

3) Not putting accounts on hold under the "paperwork" has been received (which, incidentally can only be sent via postal mail and not faxed etc)

I have 2/5 green on ipods, and one person has signed up three times accidentally (yellow, but will go on hold) and I have a couple of others wanting to finish trades to go green.

But I am just very concerned that FreePay are no longer interested in customers who look likely to succeed; instead terming their success as "Fraud" and any suspicion of "Fraud" as if it were actual Fraud.

This is very concerning, so obviously I'm not sure if I want to make good on my current time and money investment in the offers and my ipods.freepay account or whether to cut my losses and run.

Any advice?

shortys408

05-03-2006 19:20:28

"ARE" freepay scamming their users?

hehehhehe

05-03-2006 19:36:39

[quote7efe49b4f7="shortys408"]"ARE" freepay scamming their users?[/quote7efe49b4f7]
In UK English, I think it tends to be "ARE." I bet he's English.

doylnea

05-03-2006 19:48:12

A4F tends to be less supportive of Freepay, and more supportive of smaller sites. In addition A4F's members seem to have a "jump-on-the-bandwagon" mentality. It's not surprising therefore, that they recently downgraded Freepay from a "level a" to "level c" site, whatever that means. Furthermore, in anything in life, you tend to hear about the bad rather than the good, 98% of the time.

Freepay is not going to dry up and run off with your money or ipod. They've taken thees actions to be profitable for the long run.

NIVO

05-03-2006 20:08:44

What are you basing your assuptions on dolynea? You, A4F, this forum, any other forum and all individuals(including myself) are simply discussing and "speculating" what we think might/might not happen. Until we get official words from freepay nothing you or anyone else says means anything.

doylnea

05-03-2006 20:45:36

[quote9bb3540b4f="NIVO"]What are you basing your assuptions on dolynea? You, A4F, this forum, any other forum and all individuals(including myself) are simply discussing and "speculating" what we think might/might not happen. Until we get official words from freepay nothing you or anyone else says means anything.[/quote9bb3540b4f]

Point out one assumption in my post and I'll give you 10 Karma points.

NIVO

05-03-2006 20:49:36

Freepay is not going to dry up and run off with your money or iPod.

you assume that, none of us know this yet. Seriously though, keep the karma for someone worthy. I simply came here to read and get another viewpoint on sites and offers.

ilanbg

05-03-2006 20:50:19

[quoteefa98898cc="doylnea"]Freepay is not going to dry up and run off with your money or iPod.[/quoteefa98898cc]

That's an assumption. Yes, what you're saying is very likely, but it's not like you have a copy of their yearly earnings.

45udogg

06-03-2006 00:19:34

It seems like its just a way to get procrastinators like me to finish getting the required referrals. In a way it's kind of smart what they have done, I've been sitting on 1 or 2 completed refs in my PSP and ipod accounts, now I have to hurry and get the remaining refs or I lose what I have. Look at how frantically people have been trying to get refs now, freepay has probably gained a lot from this. But the problem will be that people might not trust them now and they won't pursue any other gifts once they finish whatever they are working on. I probably won't.

CollidgeGraduit

06-03-2006 02:47:01

i voted no because i hope that if you quit doing freepay sites, you'll quit posting here too

nobody2000

06-03-2006 06:21:51

1.) RARELY is anyone accidentally put on hold. And when they are, it's for a good reason and I love to read it everytime "Yeah...I got put on hold, I don't know why...I signed up all my refs. from my house, is that bad?"
2.) They have a lot of customers and support tickets take a while to get to...however, I do believe that they could afford to quicken this process.
3.) "I have 2/5 green on ipods, and one person has signed up three times accidentally (yellow, but will go on hold) and I have a couple of others wanting to finish trades to go green. " Accidentally signed up THREE TIMES??!??! It sounds like someone wanted to try something out before realizing that Freepay knows when you sign up three times from the same house.

You have 4 posts here and you're mentioning A4F like it's some kind of legit site (;)) Yes, freepay's recent move sucks, but you can't fault them for things that you mentioned

liddlefeesh

06-03-2006 06:42:42

Few points,

1) "Are FreePay scamming their users" - a perfectly formed sentance, albeit with a slight insinuation. I'm suprised that this was even worthy of a comment.

2) I bribed a guy from/using ReferralSwapper to give me an instant green. Instead he signed up three times with different email addresses. I didn't ask him to do this and I am now concerned that this would affect MY account status. Having read on this very forum how the account status of others has affected their own account status I'm concerned that this guy has just destroyed any chance I have of actually finishing off.

RE A4F, chances are you're more likely to find helpful (rather than cliquey and pointless) posts. Is there a reason why A4F are not valid?

Berky34

06-03-2006 06:55:18

Please remove your reflinks from your sig and read the rules, that is all.

And I say you should finish up your site and then leave.

Jake

06-03-2006 07:05:06

[quote6aa1f9f001="liddlefeesh"]I'm reading with great concern some of the posts on A4F that FreePay appears to be

1) Arbitarily putting people on hold

[/quote6aa1f9f001]

This is not happening.

A4F may think so but that is not the case.

[quote6aa1f9f001="liddlefeesh"]
2) Wasting time intentionally (on support tickets and check accounts) so that they don't have to send stuff out
[/quote6aa1f9f001]

Not the case either. Since this change has come into place, we have received a lot of inquiries which has slowed our response time down. Hence, why we are taking longer to answer questions.

[quote6aa1f9f001="liddlefeesh"]
3) Not putting accounts on hold under the "paperwork" has been received (which, incidentally can only be sent via postal mail and not faxed etc)
[/quote6aa1f9f001]

I assume you mean that we are putting accounts on hold until the paperwork is received.

We are not putting accounts on hold but we will not send any gifts out under the new structure of our offer until we receive the redemption forms. The redemption forms have to be sent in in order to receive one's free gift.

I can assure you that it is business as usual at Freepay. There have been some changes but the company continues to run, give away free products, and operate in the same fashion.

liddlefeesh

06-03-2006 07:06:26

Sig refs removed. Apologies - all other sites allowed it and I think someway I got confused.

As far as I am aware I haven't broken FreePay TOS, but I'm also aware that FreePay only need to get a little niggle (about anything) for which they can put your site on hold. Unfortunately I can't see with the new 90 day rule (I can't fax them the sheet either? What's up with that if not a deliberate attempt to foil a claim?) how likely it is to "win" on this site, that is all.

Jake

06-03-2006 07:08:21

[quotebdc82f8b1f="liddlefeesh"]
(I can't fax them the sheet either? What's up with that if not a deliberate attempt to foil a claim?) how likely it is to "win" on this site, that is all.[/quotebdc82f8b1f]

Like I said, it's business as usual here.

The reason we ask for the form to be sent in is because we want the physical copy of it in our files. We aren't trying to foil a claim. Hell, if you had gotten that far in the process, then why stop? You've already done the hardest part (which is getting the referrals and having been approved).

liddlefeesh

06-03-2006 07:13:09

Hi Jake,

Thanks for that. I'm not approved yet - on 2 greens with a whole load of yellows. I appreciate your arguement that response times are slower at the moment; no problem. I'll wait to hear from my support ticket about any risk of HOLD from the "guy-who-signed-up-three-times" (using my referral link).

I don't get, "The reason we ask for the form to be sent in is because we want the physical copy of it in our files". I'm in the UK, so sending from here will be slower than inland US mail. Also, a fax is a phyiscal copy - right there. If I can fax my solicitor and my bank, surely I can fax Freepay?

Thanks again.

edit I was unaware of the politics between FreeiPodGuide and A4F, and clearly some folks here on FreeiPodGuide have gotten a bit upset about my attribute to A4F. This was not intended to cause distress - A4F was more highly present in my Google searches so it looks to be more authoritative.

mpbollywoodking

06-03-2006 07:14:17

[quote75e092eee7="Jake"][quote75e092eee7="liddlefeesh"]
(I can't fax them the sheet either? What's up with that if not a deliberate attempt to foil a claim?) how likely it is to "win" on this site, that is all.[/quote75e092eee7]

Like I said, it's business as usual here.

The reason we ask for the form to be sent in is because we want the physical copy of it in our files. We aren't trying to foil a claim. Hell, if you had gotten that far in the process, then why stop? You've already done the hardest part (which is getting the referrals and having been approved).[/quote75e092eee7]

what if you get ur referrals, send in the form, but than get denied approval. And the time limit if over, what than? Does the time limit stop after you get your 8 referrrals, do does it stop once you recieve the form (no matter if approval is denied or not)?

liddlefeesh

06-03-2006 07:20:10

[quote1518f5eb15]
liddlefeesh wrote

I assume you mean that we are putting accounts on hold until the paperwork is received.
[/quote1518f5eb15]

That's not quite what I mean.

I mean that after I have gone to the trouble to get five greens and you have received the mail-in form, you put it in a queue for approval. You then approve or deny the application.

At any point the 90-day timer-of-death might fire and I lose everything.

It would be nice to get "approved" online the way it has always been done, but the item won't be sent out until the form is received.

There's no way I'm going to be sending in multiple forms each time. Especially when I know that all my greens (all two of them!) are 100% legit.

Please address my concern than I believe that you are, "Not putting accounts on hold UNTIL paperwork has been received". It would be helpful to both parties if you could review the accounts online (a partial review, if you will) prior to receiving the paperwork.

I assert that the paper-trail has no other purpose than to delay and reduce the number of items sent out.

P.S. - Thanks for posting here, it's much appreciated!

Jake

06-03-2006 07:25:42

[quote9a805e37ff="liddlefeesh"]
I mean that after I have gone to the trouble to get five greens and you have received the mail-in form, you put it in a queue for approval. You then approve or deny the application.

At any point the 90-day timer-of-death might fire and I lose everything.

It would be nice to get "approved" online the way it has always been done, but the item won't be sent out until the form is received.
[/quote9a805e37ff]

I will discuss this in a meeting later today and I should have an answer. This is definitely a kink that needs to be worked out and we will do so.

Thanks for bringing it up. )

mpbollywoodking

06-03-2006 07:34:00

thanks Jake

liddlefeesh

06-03-2006 07:40:06

Appreciated Jake. +1 Karma

Fugger

06-03-2006 08:13:07

Jake... I don't know if it is the lack of sleep talking, but I love you long time buddy. Real long time.

darkscout

06-03-2006 08:30:28

[quote1e7d61358e="liddlefeesh"]
[b1e7d61358e]The reason we ask for the form to be sent in is because we want the physical copy of it in our files.[/b1e7d61358e][/quote1e7d61358e]

Where can I buy your magical fax machines that use no paper?

Does it beam the fax directly into your eyes?

K'Thx'Bye.

Faxes would seemingly leave more of a papertrail than USPS with phone records and such.

Jake

06-03-2006 08:33:35

[quote79f39f286f="Jake"][quote79f39f286f="liddlefeesh"]
[b79f39f286f]The reason we ask for the form to be sent in is because we want the physical copy of it in our files.[/b79f39f286f][/quote79f39f286f]

K'Thx'Bye.

Faxes would seemingly leave more of a papertrail than USPS with phone records and such.[/quote79f39f286f]

Fax paper is flimsy and not really suitable for our purposes. Whereas, plain paper is easier to manage and may last longer.

CollidgeGraduit

06-03-2006 08:34:40

[quote3821ea2993="Jake"][quote3821ea2993="liddlefeesh"]
[b3821ea2993]The reason we ask for the form to be sent in is because we want the physical copy of it in our files.[/b3821ea2993][/quote3821ea2993]

K'Thx'Bye.

Faxes would seemingly leave more of a papertrail than USPS with phone records and such.[/quote3821ea2993]

No need to be a smart-ass about it.

darkscout

06-03-2006 09:40:07

[quotec257890496="Jake"]Fax paper is flimsy and not really suitable for our purposes. Whereas, plain paper is easier to manage and may last longer.[/quotec257890496]

Interesting. My fax machine takes the same 'normal' paper that fits in my Laserjet.

Older roll type paper thermal paper doesn't hold up as well, but that's so '90s.

In addition there might be companies online that will let you fax to them and they could sent you some sort of PDF or something via email.

So is this to say if I send my verification form in on fax paper, cheap stock that my college buys, thermal paper, etc, FreePay won't process my request?

[quotec257890496="CollidgeGraduit"]
No need to be a smart-ass about it.
[/quotec257890496]

Too many unanswered questions and too many generic answers.

Like why is a 1GB shuffle taking 4 weeks to "Process?". It's A SHUFFLE.

grm

06-03-2006 09:57:51

what's the point of a physical paper copy anyway?

Jake

06-03-2006 09:59:52

[quotee9d36782cc="darkscout"]
Like why is a 1GB shuffle taking 4 weeks to "Process?". It's A SHUFFLE.[/quotee9d36782cc]

We aren't going to process the form for four weeks.

One more thing, I am compiling a list of questions to ask my superiors when I have a meeting with them later.

I will start a thread where you can ask them and I will give the answers when I get them.

liddlefeesh

06-03-2006 13:10:16

[quote3017a3b358="Jake"]Fax paper is flimsy and not really suitable for our purposes. Whereas, plain paper is easier to manage and may last longer.[/quote3017a3b358]

That gave me the biggest nervous laugh in ages as I was wondering what the Freepay response would be. That's really, really weak (no, not the paper).

What about an email account then? Or a web-based entry form? idea

Do you want indelible paper and ink next? idea

Jake

06-03-2006 13:35:46

[quote352643667e="liddlefeesh"]
That gave me the biggest nervous laugh in ages as I was wondering what the Freepay response would be. That's really, really weak (no, not the paper).

What about an email account then? Or a web-based entry form? idea

Do you want indelible paper and ink next? idea[/quote352643667e]

Like I have said before, our policy is non negotiable.

dragonguy83

06-03-2006 13:37:22

jake when it the meeting

VrExe

06-03-2006 13:44:05

My form will arrive there probably early next week or by the end of this week.

Jake, have you read my PM yet? I want to find out really quick so I can do whatever if it requires something.

liddlefeesh

06-03-2006 14:01:50

Jake,

I am not negotiating with you. Please try to follow what I'm saying.

CollidgeGraduit

06-03-2006 15:24:14

give it up, liddlefeesh. consider this your last warning

Drummer16161616

06-03-2006 15:39:20

Damn, Jake has a lot of patience...

liddlefeesh

06-03-2006 16:27:52

Sorry Collidge, what are you accusing me of doing?

Wolfeman

06-03-2006 17:04:05

CG, lay the smack down...

liddlefeesh

06-03-2006 17:28:17

Not my intention to be rude, but perhaps you owe me an explanation of what it is that I have done to upset you?

Fugger

06-03-2006 17:49:48

[quoteec3993ddfe="liddlefeesh"]Not my intention to be rude, but perhaps you owe me an explanation of what it is that I have done to upset you?[/quoteec3993ddfe]

You haven't been around long enough. Jake has a long standing history of helping the freepay scene across multiple forums. The company he works for has made a policy change, people don't like it, and they are attacking him over it. That is what you've done, you've just been a part of the mass.

liddlefeesh

06-03-2006 18:49:30

I disagree, I'm not attacking Jake for anything. His reply to me was flawed and comes across as somewhat aloof.

CollidgeGraduit

06-03-2006 19:13:01

He doesn't owe it to you to explain everything to your liking. You've been beyond annoying, and this thread is locked.