Broken Buttons

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=3371

MusicMan

19-11-2004 07:43:09

Well, I've had my iPod for only a few weeks, and it's already broken. At first it was just an issue with unresponsive buttons, and an inability to turn it off. Now I cannot do anything. No buttons respond, hold button doesn't work, and I cannot recognize the unit from iTunes, nor am I able to browse the HDD.

I had not yet synchronized my library with iTunes, because I've spent the last 2 weeks ripping all my CDs on to the device. I'll probably lose all that work, and all my MP3s. I guess I really can't complain too much considering it was free (minus expense of initial offer, and all the effort of getting referrals). But if I had paid $300 for this item, I'd be FURIOUS right now, instead of depressed.

I guess this is actually a very common problem with iPods, and sometimes occurs after only a few days. It's also more prevalant in the MINIs.

What a POS.

jadem

19-11-2004 08:36:02

Had you let the battery completely die and give it a full charge? Mine wouldn't shut off properly until I did that. lishrugli I really don't know how helpful that is for you.

MusicMan

19-11-2004 08:43:32

Good advice Jadem, I'll certainly try that. My fear, however, is that once the battery completely drains...I lose everything on my hard drive. I've spent so much time burning anc categorizing all my songs, that I'd hate to lose all that effort.

jadem

19-11-2004 08:53:05

You shouldn't...it's just like when a cell battery drains. You still have everything in there (well, at least with the NEWER phones) when you recharge it.

mindseye1

19-11-2004 08:56:14

The iPod stores its data on a hard drive, not RAM. You won't lose the data in your iPod if you take the battery completely out and leave it out because a hard drive doesn't require power to retain its data.

jadem

19-11-2004 09:03:03

[quote19d722770f="mindseye1"]The iPod stores its data on a hard drive, not RAM. You won't lose the data in your iPod if you take the battery completely out and leave it out because a hard drive doesn't require power to retain its data.[/quote19d722770f]

Or you can go with the more technical explanation. wink

Tadeo

19-11-2004 10:06:03

It is waranteed. Call Apple.

danetix

19-11-2004 15:37:34

[quotec7139ebabc="Tadeo"]It is waranteed. Call Apple.[/quotec7139ebabc]

they should give you a full replacement. )

Anonymous

21-11-2004 08:59:49

Call Apple (or hP depending on what brand of iPod it is) and they will hook you up with a replacement.

joeman957

21-11-2004 09:44:52

Take it to the apple store and they should either fix it or replace it.

MusicMan

21-11-2004 21:53:19

Brought it to Apple store, and one of the workers was able to fix it. Simply rebooting fixed the problem. I was not aware that holding menu+select is hard-reset.

Still, I wonder what causeed the problem, and if it'll occur again. After doing some research, I've read that this is a very common problem with the new generation, and minis.

nesuser2

21-11-2004 23:26:18

[quote56544026a1="MusicMan"]Brought it to Apple store, and one of the workers was able to fix it. Simply rebooting fixed the problem. I was not aware that holding menu+select is hard-reset.

Still, I wonder what causeed the problem, and if it'll occur again. After doing some research, I've read that this is a very common problem with the new generation, and minis.[/quote56544026a1]

Stop reading would be my suggestion. You may find what appears to be a ton of people with these problems, but you don't know how scarce they are until you see how many people actually own them.

As far as flaws in the device, I wouldn't worry about it. They are sturdy but are bound to have flaws. You should be able to buy applecare for $57($49 for students) if you have the Apple iPod and this will extend phone and repair to 2 years. If you don't keep the device 2 years, it helps resale.

Finally, you won't lose any playlist editing and music if it's all on your computer.....which it has to be for an ipod. I really hope it starts working out as desired, if it doesn't....get on apple's @$$. They sometimes like to prolong the inevitable so if you camp out there or call them all weekend, they'll get the hint.