A little question about how they check for fraud referrals?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=3261

NewWorld

15-11-2004 05:16:06

Like what is said on the subject, How do they actually check for fraud referrals?

CollidgeGraduit

15-11-2004 05:24:12

They have a system that checks for a wide variety of indicators that set off red flags for them. If the account is deemed fraudulent, they follow-up and manually check if the user appeals. That's all you need to know.

l0th

15-11-2004 05:42:43

[quote2a77b8483b]They have a system that checks for a wide variety of indicators that set off red flags for them. If the account is deemed fraudulent, they follow-up and manually check if the user appeals. That's all you need to know.[/quote2a77b8483b]

Sounds like Gratis' hold policy is part of the Patriot Act... lol

Randyspawn

15-11-2004 10:22:34

They know everything a web browser tells them when it logs into their site. Stick to these rules

1 person to 1 address to 1 computer to 1 email address to 1 IP address.
The IP address should reasonably match the location of the delivery address.
NOTHING should be the same or even remotely similar between you or any of your referrals, unless you're last name is Smith.
Tell your referees to take the time to pick an offer they want to try, because it seems that lately Gratis has been using click timing as a tip off for walking people through the process. Of course, tell them to actually try it out.

If any of the above could possibly be an issue, don't refer the person. It beats getting stuck on hold indefinitely.

r2d2_unit

15-11-2004 11:12:26

rofl@referees

PLAY BALL!

PoleMan14

15-11-2004 11:14:57

[quote13b9798936="Randyspawn"]They know everything a web browser tells them when it logs into their site. Stick to these rules

1 person to 1 address to 1 computer to 1 email address to 1 IP address.
The IP address should reasonably match the location of the delivery address.
NOTHING should be the same or even remotely similar between you or any of your referrals, unless you're last name is Smith.
Tell your referees to take the time to pick an offer they want to try, because it seems that lately Gratis has been using click timing as a tip off for walking people through the process. Of course, tell them to actually try it out.

If any of the above could possibly be an issue, don't refer the person. It beats getting stuck on hold indefinitely.[/quote13b9798936]

I woudn't worry about the IP being close to the address. As long as they are unique it dosn't seemed to be flagged. I am at school and had all friends sign up around here with shipping addresses in different states. I think the whole click timing thing is just people getting paranoid. I would tell your referals to wait a few days before cancelling free trials, that is what the companys can report to gratis and they will not give you credit.

r2d2_unit

15-11-2004 11:17:36

yeah by the way, a bunch of my referrals did offers on my PC and i have a static IP, so i dont think IP is anything to worry about either

l0th

15-11-2004 11:27:32

and think about those US residents who do the deal from abroad (I know some and they weren't put on hold)

Alterin

17-11-2004 12:50:23

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has done referrals on their PC, because I did two on my pc, and my account is on hold. I see that r2d2 did it and it was all good, but they don't like me doing it or something, because I'm on hold! ARGH!

Randyspawn

17-11-2004 17:08:09

Its nice to know that they're not super-paranoid about IP addresses, but its one thing I think they could get strict on if the funds start to get tight so I wouldn't want to take that chance. I avoid referrals that might even have the slightest chance of getting me on hold.

I wonder how they do nail people for walking others through though. Click timing, as unfair subjective as it would be, is the only way they could I think, unless someone were to make a stupid post in a forum like this.

RoeCyris

17-11-2004 19:33:32

do they keep track of past passwords? my friend ended up using the same password as me cuz we share the same system (we learned from my father) for creating passwords for every site. after he told me that i went in and changed mine and he changed his. but he also did his from his computer and all that stuff so should i really be worried?

jadem

18-11-2004 06:47:03

[quote291724b19b="Randyspawn"] NOTHING should be the same or even remotely similar between you or any of your referrals, unless you're last name is Smith.[/quote291724b19b]

Not 100% accurate. My mother signed up for my ipod offer. We have the same last name. However, I haven't lived at home for two years, so the similarity ends with our last names (except we're both women
wink ).