Compaq V2000s Shipping Without WIFI

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=30386

mtobey

13-01-2006 07:51:35

I got my V2000 yesterday and I can't seem to get the wifi working. In fact, when I go into the hardware profiles, I don't even see a wireless card listed.

It's quite possible I'm just an idiot, but I'm starting to worry that there ins't a wireless card in it as advertised.

Has anyone else out there received their V2000? Have you been able to get the wifi to work?

chosn1

13-01-2006 14:06:27

Got my v2000 today and Freepay did not order these notebooks with the wireless option even though the specifications on their site state that it is included. I have a support ticket in now, but I really don't know what they will do about it now (

mtobey

13-01-2006 17:47:10

wtf? so glad I spent all that money on a wireless router. hopefully they'll do something about this.

Jake, are you out there? What's the official word from freepay about this?

killerman

13-01-2006 18:33:03

damn guys that sucks
i guess im lucky i got the acer instead
(though battery life is poor ( )

shamash

13-01-2006 20:48:24

well on the acer, theres a button in front that turns wifi on/off

like its on the computer

so i turned the wifi off and was lost for about an hour going crazy thinking it was already broken

Tholek

13-01-2006 20:52:58

If pcs.freepay says it's included on the site, Gratis will make good on it. Just file a ticket, and they'll get it to you.

mtobey

14-01-2006 10:37:28

[quote0750be9ac1="Tholek"]If pcs.freepay says it's included on the site, Gratis will make good on it. Just file a ticket, and they'll get it to you.[/quote0750be9ac1]

Has anything like this happened before? Do you think they'll make us send back the ones we got and send us replacements, or will they just send out after-market wireless cards?

I opened a ticket last night and got an automated response about something completely unrelated to my issue. Hopefully Freepay will address this soon.

refs4me

14-01-2006 11:38:42

I would think that they would just send us aftermarket cards because it would be difficult to send in all of our orders and then wait until they rebuild it and send it back to us. However, I was actually looking forward to the intergrated wireless cards with the button on the keyboard space. It just gives it a cleaner look. Having cards sticking out of the notebook isn't really what I was looking forward to.

Tholek

14-01-2006 12:00:03

[quote1a576f31cc="mtobey"]Has anything like this happened before? Do you think they'll make us send back the ones we got and send us replacements, or will they just send out after-market wireless cards?[/quote1a576f31cc]

Yeah, Cyberpower shortchanged me on some components, and Gratis had to sort it out. They got CP to send out the right parts. This is why I sound so sure. Gratis will make good. They'll probably send out mini-pci wi-fi cards.

[quote1a576f31cc="mtobey"]I opened a ticket last night and got an automated response about something completely unrelated to my issue. Hopefully Freepay will address this soon.[/quote1a576f31cc]

Repeat the query in a reply to the same ticket. It often isn't acknowledged if you don't pursue it beyond the automatic reply.

[quote1a576f31cc="refs4me"]I would think that they would just send us aftermarket cards because it would be difficult to send in all of our orders and then wait until they rebuild it and send it back to us. However, I was actually looking forward to the intergrated wireless cards with the button on the keyboard space. It just gives it a cleaner look. Having cards sticking out of the notebook isn't really what I was looking forward to.[/quote1a576f31cc]

I don't think you understand. If the Compaq's integrated wi-fi is MINI-PCI then that's what they'll send out. I think you're thinking of PCMCIA aka "PC Cards" which use slots on the side of the laptop.

chosn1

15-01-2006 09:30:03

Nope, according to Compaq the internal wireless is integrated onto the motherboard, ie no way to add it on. Hopefully Freepay will come through for us on this one.

Iloveipods2

15-01-2006 09:32:50

yeah freepay will do something, i'm pretty sure. they always put their customers "front and center"

MoneyMaker

15-01-2006 11:26:46

That doesn't make any sense there is always a way to attach some sort of wireless onto a laptop. Doesn't matter if it's integrated or not. There are laptop cards expecially made for this purpose, FreePay will supply them to you guys.

Tholek

15-01-2006 12:06:27

[quote462861343b="chosn1"]Nope, according to Compaq the internal wireless is integrated onto the motherboard, ie no way to add it on. Hopefully Freepay will come through for us on this one.[/quote462861343b]

As I thought, it's Mini-PCI.

Take a look

http//h18000.www1.hp.com/products/wireless/wlan/index_nb.html
http//www.ambry.com/compaq/notebook/presario_v2000.asp

It's common for manufacturers to classify mini-pci as integrated if the access to the mini-pci slot is not so accessible. These days, truly proprietary components are not cost effective. Mini-PCI isn't just for ease of replacement.

[quote462861343b="MoneyMaker"]That doesn't make any sense there is always a way to attach some sort of wireless onto a laptop. Doesn't matter if it's integrated or not. There are laptop cards expecially made for this purpose, FreePay will supply them to you guys.[/quote462861343b]

True, PCMCIA cards are easily available, but they aren't what was advertized. Plus they aren't integrated. They take up slots you could use for somthing else. If Gratis made an error in their ordering, and forgot to request the "integrated" wi-fi, the solution is to send you the card if it can be inserted by an end user, which it likely can be. If Compaq screwed up, then you'd still get the card, and I bet there would be hell to pay to Gratis. )

MoneyMaker

15-01-2006 12:08:12

I doubt Compaq made a mistake on 8 or so people that I know of that bought the laptop, it's FreePay's fault here and they do make up for things. I believe what they will do is send the standalone card to you (Which makes more sense than returning the whole laptop to FreePay, waiting a bajillion years for them to send it back with the card inside..)

Tholek

15-01-2006 12:18:17

I just realized something bad....

If the error is on Compaq's end, then inserting the card may be all that is necessary because they may have just forgot that particular component. However, if the error is on Gratis' end, and they didn't [if088b9440d]order[/if088b9440d] wi-fi, then the laptops sent out may not even have the internal antennas in them. o

Expecting the end user to disassemble the LCD to insert the wi-fi lead antennas may be expecting a bit much. They may have to be sent back after all. (

MoneyMaker

15-01-2006 12:35:18

Well Im almost done with this and Im staying away from the Compaq, Im going for either the Sony or the Gateway, any upgrades I need to make are fine with me (Memory for one Im going to upgrade to 1.5 GB)

refs4me

15-01-2006 12:38:41

Freepay does seem to have a problem here. They did send emails out saying the price was just shy of $600. If they send the cards out, however they do, the price may be $600+. Would they require W-9's sent in afterall?

Sad Jake hasn't been around in a while.

tylerc

15-01-2006 12:43:26

He was just here on Friday...

Tholek

15-01-2006 12:44:28

[quotee10cc91627="MoneyMaker"]Well Im almost done with this and Im staying away from the Compaq, Im going for either the Sony or the Gateway, any upgrades I need to make are fine with me (Memory for one Im going to upgrade to 1.5 GB)[/quotee10cc91627]

That's laptops.freepay. The Compaq is on pcs.freepay.

[quotee10cc91627="refs4me"]Freepay does seem to have a problem here. They did send emails out saying the price was just shy of $600. If they send the cards out, however they do, the price may be $600+. Would they require W-9's sent in afterall?

Sad Jake hasn't been around in a while.[/quotee10cc91627]

This would be an error on someone's part. I [ie10cc91627]really[/ie10cc91627] doubt they'd send you the forms after the fact. That wouldn't help their rep.

I still say Gratis will offer to cover the return and insertion of card/antenna. (If you guys didn't get antennas) They'll make good on it.

refs4me

15-01-2006 22:18:54

Thoklek, I have a quesiton. I was reading on some reviews that you can see the miniPCI slot from the bottom of the notebook by just removing a few of the covers. Would it be an easy install if the antenna wires were still there?

http//www.notebookreview.com/assets/7312.jpg

Bottom CPU Fan, Heatsink, Ram Slot cover, Mini-PCI slot cover, HDD cover, DVD-ROM removal screws, Battery latch and battery

http//www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2580&review=Compaq+Presario+V2410us+Notebook+Pc

Tholek

15-01-2006 23:55:23

Yup, I expected as much. )

Most laptop manufacturers have access panels for mini-pci on the bottom just like for memory, but a few make it a bit more difficult and require more disassembly. (some make you take off the keyboard!)

[bf094726d58]IF[/bf094726d58] Compaq just forgot the cards, then the lead(s) would be in there, and you'd just have to snap the U.FL connectors onto the cards jack(s).

However, as I mentioned earlier, [bf094726d58]IF[/bf094726d58] the error was on Gratis' part, then Compaq may have not included the antenna at all. Installing that is a longer drawn out process, usually requiring you disassemble the LCD and snake the leads up though the spindle and around it.

I'd recommend you open that panel asap to see if the leads are there. o

The picture you posted shows the card installed (on the right), and a lead attatched. (Maybe this one just has the one antenna?)

http//www.notebookreview.com/assets/7312.jpg

If you don't see a wire(s) with a gold connector off to the side in that compartment, you may be in the "havetosenditback" category. (

lakersin2025

16-01-2006 09:16:14

I just love your avatar dude.

[quoteb89b252688="chosn1"]Got my v2000 today and Freepay did not order these notebooks with the wireless option even though the specifications on their site state that it is included. I have a support ticket in now, but I really don't know what they will do about it now ([/quoteb89b252688]

mtobey

16-01-2006 12:02:36

No response yet to my ticket on freepay, so I pm'd Jake. As far as I can tell he hasn't been around here since friday though.

mtobey

18-01-2006 08:20:27

Title updated to catch Jake's attention now that he's hanging around the boards again.

mtobey

18-01-2006 13:25:53

I finally got a response from Freepay. This is ridiculous.

[quote759f71e165]1/18/2006 11512 PM
customer service wrote

Please see the following details for the features of our Compaq V2000. Intel Celeron M Processor 360 (1.40GHz) 14" widescreen WXGA display 256MB DDR SDRAM 40GB 4200rpm hard drive 8x DVD drive Integrated wireless 54g (802.11b/g) Microsoft Windows XP Home w/SP2 If you have any problem with the item, please contact http//welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDisplay=support directly. Thank you.[/quote759f71e165]

Do I really need to personally take this up with HP?

mtobey

18-01-2006 14:07:52

Ugh. I tried to get some help from the HP site, but their online support is all fucked up.

I'm about to give up and just buy an after-market wireless card.

chosn1

18-01-2006 15:21:28

I am also attempting to contact freepay and thus have gotten only automated responses. Everyone seems to think freepay will come through, so we'll see.

shamash

18-01-2006 15:38:49

Dude, did you read the message?

Contact HP for information about sending it back. You can do it through HP.

refs4me

18-01-2006 19:43:45

No, it is ridiculous. If you call HP, they tell you that you can't add integrated wireless after you bought the item. Since just about everyone who has mentioned so far who got the V2000 did not recieve integrated wireless, it's obvious that freepay left it out when they were customizing the laptop for ordering.

HP won't help us for something that was forgotten to be added.

ragefu

18-01-2006 19:55:12

Can't you just buy a usb wi-fi receiver? They're not that expensive, definitely not worth sending your laptop back over

mtobey

18-01-2006 20:20:29

I got a pm from Jake. He says they're investigating it.

chosn1

18-01-2006 22:30:06

[quoted7da3bf2a7="shamash"]Dude, did you read the message?

Contact HP for information about sending it back. You can do it through HP.[/quoted7da3bf2a7]
Aye, first thing i did when i got this laptop was called hpshopping.com where it was ordered from. They were indeed the first ones to tell me they would not add on any internal wireless adapters. So the dilemma is that even if I go out and buy an interenal mini adapter, I have to disassemble my laptop voiding the warranty a week after I got it. Currently using a pcmcia card hanging out the side, but that is taking up the space my audigy 2 ZS card was gonna go, it looks ridiculous, and I had to pay for it - all of which I don't like. So hopefully they can fix this.

I also went to hpshopping and built a v2000. The integrated wireless cost $25 per order. That would be the cost of pcmcia cards approximately for freepay, so I am hoping they will go that route so I can return mine (gotta love Wal-mart ) )

Tholek

19-01-2006 05:44:50

[quoteb1be2252c8="mtobey"]I got a pm from Jake. He says they're investigating it.[/quoteb1be2252c8]

Then it's settled. They'll see what happened and make it right. )

[quoteb1be2252c8="chosn1"]So the dilemma is that even if I go out and buy an interenal mini adapter, I have to disassemble my laptop voiding the warranty a week after I got it. Currently using a pcmcia card hanging out the side, but that is taking up the space my audigy 2 ZS card was gonna go, it looks ridiculous, and I had to pay for it - all of which I don't like. So hopefully they can fix this.[/quoteb1be2252c8]

You did see the pictures posted earlier, right? Unless installing memory also voids your warranty, I can't imagine opening the next panel in the bottom to insert the card, would.

That is, if the antenna leads are there.

refs4me

21-01-2006 10:54:05

OMG, the package came today. FedEx finally found it and it was on my doorstep when I came back from grocery shopping this morning.

Integrated wireless is not there. Neither are the leads for the antenna. Probably will have to break down and get an external card.

Tholek

21-01-2006 18:13:41

[quote1842f167f7="refs4me"]OMG, the package came today. FedEx finally found it and it was on my doorstep when I came back from grocery shopping this morning.

Integrated wireless is not there. Neither are the leads for the antenna. Probably will have to break down and get an external card.[/quote1842f167f7]

I'd say give Gratis a chance first. They know they said wi-fi, and you didn't get it. Just remind them. It's not in their interest to stiff you on something you're supposed to get.

mtobey

22-01-2006 10:41:33

Tholek, I definitely hear what you're saying. And I still feel like Freepay is by far the most reliable and trustworthy company in the freebie game. But I have to say this has been a pretty disappointing and frustrating experience.

Don't get me wrong, I got a laptop that was essentially free, so I can't really get bent out of shape too much. But this waiting around without any official word from Freepay is a bit on the maddening side. At the very least it wouldn't kill them to have Jake pop in here every other day and give us updates, even if those updates amounted to little more than, "we're still figuring it out with HP. sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience."

Tholek

22-01-2006 17:04:37

[quote4444b395b4="mtobey"]Tholek, I definitely hear what you're saying. And I still feel like Freepay is by far the most reliable and trustworthy company in the freebie game. But I have to say this has been a pretty disappointing and frustrating experience.

Don't get me wrong, I got a laptop that was essentially free, so I can't really get bent out of shape too much. But this waiting around without any official word from Freepay is a bit on the maddening side. At the very least it wouldn't kill them to have Jake pop in here every other day and give us updates, even if those updates amounted to little more than, "we're still figuring it out with HP. sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience."[/quote4444b395b4]

Have you actually PM'd Jake, and [i4444b395b4]specifically[/i4444b395b4] asked him to post in this thread? I would do that before giving up.

I'm not commenting out of blind faith in Gratis/Freepay. I've actually been in a similar situation with them on the desktop I got, and once they understood what was missing, they made sure I got it.

If you are specific about what's missing, and point out it's stated as included on pcs.freepay, they'll realize they need to intervene. If it happens to be an error on their part, and not HP/Compaq, then I wouldn't be surprised if you got a t-shirt out of it, either. )

Jake

23-01-2006 08:43:48

I am investigating this and will let you know what will be done.

Thank you for your patience.

mtobey

23-01-2006 10:18:43

Much appreciated, Jake.

chosn1

23-01-2006 11:59:09

Ditto Jake - we all appreciate it.

aerosaaber

23-01-2006 17:17:37

I just got my v2000 today, no wireless but the "wireless assistant software" is installed (and finding no wireless hardware).

Please advise Jake, I sent a support ticket but don't what else I need to do. I just want the dang integrated wireless.

aisuru

24-01-2006 12:13:36

my v2000 also came without wireless.

it is no mistake of hp as order form clearly does not even state wireless, even box has alll specs glued onto it, wireless is not listed.

freepay simply decided not to install it. i think what might have been problem is wireless used to be included in base system, now u have to pay 25.00 extra(maybe thats why system is 499 now)

mtobey

24-01-2006 15:48:00

[quote2d421b8a99="aisuru"]i think what might have been problem is wireless used to be included in base system, now u have to pay 25.00 extra(maybe thats why system is 499 now)[/quote2d421b8a99]

I think that's a good theory. Not really HP or Freepay's fault. Honest mistake. Wonder what's going to be done to remedy it.

tsanghan

24-01-2006 19:59:56

im sorry to hear that from you guys my acer is fine it came wit WiFi

Jake

25-01-2006 09:59:01

Everyone who got the Compaq V2000, please write me with your email address and order number.

This applies to those who have already written as well.

I'll get it resolved soon.

aisuru

30-01-2006 09:22:42

sent pm with info,crossing fingers

chosn1

30-01-2006 12:48:42

same

Drummer16161616

30-01-2006 13:08:06

Well when I got the gateway laptop on the site, everyone and their mother including gateway said there was NO WAY to install internal wireless in it. For the guy who said he couldn't find the leads for the antennae, are you sure you looked in all of the compartments? You might need to take out the keyboard and unscrew the casing and it will be underneath it. Pretty much ALL new laptops come with the antennae, especially if a more expensive version of the model has it. Don't listen to the dumbass customer support as they will lead you in circles. The best way to check is to have one of you take it appart and look for the main and auxillary antennae connectors. A mini-pci card cost me 25$ from newegg and it was shipped next day. The install took about 2 minutes. Freepay could get compaq to ship a minipci card to those who want to do the installation, or ship an external card to those who don't.

mtobey

30-01-2006 14:20:36

I really don't know what I'm doing well enough to feel comfortable taking the thing apart. Could someone else with the V2000 give this a try and see if the antenna leads are in there? If so, you should pm Jake and let him know.

refs4me

30-01-2006 16:00:56

[quote3d67d2b220="Drummer16161616"]Well when I got the gateway laptop on the site, everyone and their mother including gateway said there was NO WAY to install internal wireless in it. For the guy who said he couldn't find the leads for the antennae, are you sure you looked in all of the compartments? You might need to take out the keyboard and unscrew the casing and it will be underneath it. Pretty much ALL new laptops come with the antennae, especially if a more expensive version of the model has it. Don't listen to the dumbass customer support as they will lead you in circles. The best way to check is to have one of you take it appart and look for the main and auxillary antennae connectors. A mini-pci card cost me 25$ from newegg and it was shipped next day. The install took about 2 minutes. Freepay could get compaq to ship a minipci card to those who want to do the installation, or ship an external card to those who don't.[/quote3d67d2b220]
Jake informed me that he will probably ship out a PCMCIA card and a wireless card along with it. I figure it would be best for anyone who is willing to do the install and for anyone who isn't.

CS just told me that the models that don't come with wireless don't get the antenna. They start off with just a case. The cases that have the wireless button next to the power button gets the antenna, which makes sense. Of course, he might just be running me around in circles as well.

aisuru

30-01-2006 17:58:38

ithink sending out pcmia cards is simply unacceptable.

plain and simple, this is false advertisement. they said i get integrated wireless v2000, didnt. plus i need the pcmia slot for other things.

whats the problem here, compaq WILL take back these items.They have long return period. does freepay just not want to give out an address or something.

chosn1

30-01-2006 19:46:55

More importantly installing an aftermarket integrated wireless card VOIDS your warranty, I just got off the phone with Compaq (

mtobey

31-01-2006 06:24:51

Guys, make sure you're pm'ing Jake with this info.

Jake

31-01-2006 06:56:28

[quote7ad5d1f4e0="aisuru"]
whats the problem here, compaq WILL take back these items.They have long return period. does freepay just not want to give out an address or something.[/quote7ad5d1f4e0]

I am working on this. If you saw how busy I am, the fact that this is taking a bit of time would not surprise you one bit.

I am going to have a meeting today to resolve this once and for all.

mtobey

31-01-2006 08:23:13

Thanks a lot ofr staying on top of this, Jake. It's very much appreciated.

chosn1

31-01-2006 09:12:33

Aye, someone over there at freepay, Give Jake a raise!!!

Tholek

31-01-2006 09:33:12

[quotec57be6b75a="Drummer16161616"]Well when I got the gateway laptop on the site, everyone and their mother including gateway said there was NO WAY to install internal wireless in it. For the guy who said he couldn't find the leads for the antennae, are you sure you looked in all of the compartments? You might need to take out the keyboard and unscrew the casing and it will be underneath it. Pretty much ALL new laptops come with the antennae, especially if a more expensive version of the model has it. Don't listen to the dumbass customer support as they will lead you in circles. The best way to check is to have one of you take it appart and look for the main and auxillary antennae connectors. A mini-pci card cost me 25$ from newegg and it was shipped next day. The install took about 2 minutes. Freepay could get compaq to ship a minipci card to those who want to do the installation, or ship an external card to those who don't.[/quotec57be6b75a]

Drum, this is a [ic57be6b75a]Compaq[/ic57be6b75a]. If Gratis forgot to order wi-fi, then Compaq probably didn't put the antenna in.

Yes, they [ic57be6b75a]should[/ic57be6b75a]. That's the whole point of streamlining the assembly process. Just don't put the extra optional components in for the base model, but add them on for extra cost. However, the antenna does [ic57be6b75a]cost[/ic57be6b75a] money. I wouldn't put it past them to deviate from that streamlined process, and have seperate batches of antenna, and non-antenna chassis' to use.

It defeats the point of this kind of assembly process, but this is Compaq. The el cheapo brand.

But still, everyone ought to double-check the mini-pci compartment. If they [ic57be6b75a]did[/ic57be6b75a] follow protocol, then they might to be tucked away at the sides of the compartment between the chassis and pcb.

[quotec57be6b75a="mtobey"]I really don't know what I'm doing well enough to feel comfortable taking the thing apart. Could someone else with the V2000 give this a try and see if the antenna leads are in there? If so, you should pm Jake and let him know.[/quotec57be6b75a]

You don't have to "take it apart" to find the antenna leads. The only point in doing that, would be to actually insert the antenna [ic57be6b75a]itself[/ic57be6b75a]. Which would indeed be a pain, and might void the warranty if Compaq didn't do it themselves.

[quotec57be6b75a="refs4me"]Jake informed me that he will probably ship out a PCMCIA card and a wireless card along with it. I figure it would be best for anyone who is willing to do the install and for anyone who isn't.

CS just told me that the models that don't come with wireless don't get the antenna. They start off with just a case. The cases that have the wireless button next to the power button gets the antenna, which makes sense. Of course, he might just be running me around in circles as well.[/quotec57be6b75a]

That's cool of Gratis to send out a mini-pci and pcmcia card together. )

Still, if the leads aren't there, then an antenna would have to be sent with the mini-pci card for it to work, and installing that [ic57be6b75a]might[/ic57be6b75a] affect warranty.

Does your laptop [ic57be6b75a]not[/ic57be6b75a] have that button? Does [ic57be6b75a]anyone[/ic57be6b75a] have that button?

[quotec57be6b75a="aisuru"]ithink sending out pcmia cards is simply unacceptable.

plain and simple, this is false advertisement. they said i get integrated wireless v2000, didnt. plus i need the pcmia slot for other things.

whats the problem here, compaq WILL take back these items.They have long return period. does freepay just not want to give out an address or something.[/quotec57be6b75a]

Well, it's up to Gratis as to whether or not they'd pay for it, but I agree, I'd expect integrated wi-fi myself.

[quotec57be6b75a="chosn1"]More importantly installing an aftermarket integrated wireless card VOIDS your warranty, I just got off the phone with Compaq ([/quotec57be6b75a]

That sounds crazy. ?

Did they also say installing aftermarket RAM upgrades voids the warranty? That's just as easy to do, so it makes no sense.

Perhaps they're taking into account the installation of the non-existant antenna?

[quotec57be6b75a="Jake"]I am working on this. If you saw how busy I am, the fact that this is taking a bit of time would not surprise you one bit.

I am going to have a meeting today to resolve this once and for all.[/quotec57be6b75a]

Kudos to Jake for staying on top of it.

This is why I have faith in Gratis. D

mtobey

31-01-2006 10:04:34

[quotef5b147da5f]You don't have to "take it apart" to find the antenna leads. The only point in doing that, would be to actually insert the antenna itself. Which would indeed be a pain, and might void the warranty if Compaq didn't do it themselves. [/quotef5b147da5f]
I know I don't have to take it apart to check for the antenna in the mini-pci slot, but Drummer said, "take out the keyboard and unscrew the casing and it will be underneath it."

I looked in the mini-pci slot. There are no leads visible. Also, I for one do not have the wifi button on my machine. If I had to guess, I'd say this laptop was not made to support integrated wireless.

I too would very much prefer to have integrated wireless than to have to use a wireless card, but I personally also hate the idea of having to send the thing back and wait for a new one.

Tholek

31-01-2006 10:18:39

[quote9c613fb039="mtobey"]I know I don't have to take it apart to check for the antenna in the mini-pci slot, but Drummer said, "take out the keyboard and unscrew the casing and it will be underneath it."[/quote9c613fb039]

You do realize he was talking about the Gateway, right? ;)

That's not to say that it absolutely isn't there, but they are almost always tucked away at the side somewhere. If it's not there, then trying what Drum did with the Gateway might work, but it probably will also void the warranty. (

Maybe there are some other internal pictures on the net somewhere that could shed light...?

[quote9c613fb039="mtobey"]I looked in the mini-pci slot. There are no leads visible. Also, I for one do not have the wifi button on my machine. If I had to guess, I'd say this laptop was not made to support integrated wireless.[/quote9c613fb039]

If it has a mini-pci slot, then it will support wi-fi. IIRC, the button is just a convenient way of shutting off power to it, to save battery time.

[quote9c613fb039="mtobey"]I too would very much prefer to have integrated wireless than to have to use a wireless card, but I personally also hate the idea of having to send the thing back and wait for a new one.[/quote9c613fb039]

I know. It's a bad situation. These kinds of mixups are easier to rectify when it's a desktop.

Jake

31-01-2006 11:33:33

[quote3109d54ab6="chosn1"]Aye, someone over there at freepay, Give Jake a raise!!![/quote3109d54ab6]

Let me get this figured out first and then we'll talk pay increases.

aisuru

31-01-2006 11:42:42

"Does your laptop [i05e2a7d0fe]not[/i05e2a7d0fe] have that button? Does [i05e2a7d0fe]anyone[/i05e2a7d0fe] have that button?"

the button where the wireless button is is there, but there is a dormant pice of plastic placeholder there, it's an actual button u can see in top left, but there is no wireless icon there and the button is not pressable, bassicallly pressable button is repaced with non pressableplaceholder, it looks like a button, but does nothing and can not be pressed.kinda stupid.

mtobey

31-01-2006 12:46:08

>You do realize he was talking about the Gateway, right?
Doh! My bad.

Tholek

31-01-2006 15:32:49

[quote7fbd9e4724="aisuru"]"Does your laptop [i7fbd9e4724]not[/i7fbd9e4724] have that button? Does [i7fbd9e4724]anyone[/i7fbd9e4724] have that button?"

the button where the wireless button is is there, but there is a dormant pice of plastic placeholder there, it's an actual button u can see in top left, but there is no wireless icon there and the button is not pressable, bassicallly pressable button is repaced with non pressableplaceholder, it looks like a button, but does nothing and can not be pressed.kinda stupid.[/quote7fbd9e4724]

Well, not [i7fbd9e4724]that[/i7fbd9e4724] stupid. More often than not, when a single chassis is used for a series of laptops, there's gonna be unpunched punchouts, or "fill-ins" like that. I guess that button hole is punched out by default during the molding, so they'd have to cover it somehow.

It's all about saving money. I'm sort of surprised they didn't use a sticker actually. )

Drummer16161616

31-01-2006 15:45:09

[quoted89dece768="chosn1"]More importantly installing an aftermarket integrated wireless card VOIDS your warranty, I just got off the phone with Compaq ([/quoted89dece768]

Unless you break some sort of seal to install it, just take the card out before sending ur laptop in to get it fixed. The warranty is probably only 90 days, and trust me I HIGHLY doubt any issues will start showing up before then if they haven't already.

aerosaaber

02-02-2006 14:46:36

Any new news on this issue Jake?
I'm sure everyone is wondering the same thing.

aisuru

03-02-2006 19:43:24

come on freepay.

chosn1

06-02-2006 14:13:07

anyone have any new info?

aisuru

07-02-2006 11:24:43

come on freepay, the longer you take, the smaller the chance compaq will take these back. what happned at the meeting jake?

mtobey

07-02-2006 13:13:07

between this and me not showing up as a referral on my referrer's ps3 account, I'm having all kinds of bad luck with freepay these days.

hopefully we'll hear something soon. it's been a week.

aerosaaber

09-02-2006 19:42:57

has anyone gotten an update from Jake?
I want to PM but I'm sure others are doing that now, he has all my information already.

Iloveipods2

09-02-2006 19:54:44

wow, i'm usually really really really impressed with Jake.

but i'm like SUper UBEr impressed that so dedicated to solving this.

i wonder how long before Jake gets promoted again

i'm rooting for ya Jake cheer

oh and can you give us the exact specs of the cyberpower pc?

Tholek

09-02-2006 22:12:33

[quote18fc6a2e90="Iloveipods2"]oh and can you give us the exact specs of the cyberpower pc?[/quote18fc6a2e90]

I thought you already realized that CP builds these from parts on hand. They've been known to substitute parts of equal or greater value at their discretion.

This has been well established.

aisuru

10-02-2006 10:12:52

im starting to get worried now, cause they guy who got defective psp (http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=31365) , who was promised by freepay would be taken care of has been waiting 3 months. our stuff isnt even broken,plus prolly twice as expensive, how long will we be waiting?

mtobey

13-02-2006 13:30:53

Yeah, I'm guessing we're out of luck on this one.

refs4me

13-02-2006 18:33:44

I'm just a bit curious now. Jake was on earlier today responding to other messages, but left this one out. Probably not intentional, but it would be nice to have a little reassurance that this is being handled.

Tholek

13-02-2006 21:09:04

It's probably still up in the air.

Jake

14-02-2006 10:27:06

You will all be receiving an email soon.

aisuru

14-02-2006 22:26:36

crap, looks like were getting pcmia cards. weak...

refs4me

15-02-2006 09:26:53

Oh jeez, I think I may have accidentally deleted the email with the rest of my bulk, can anyone post it up here or PM it to me?

If I'm getting a PCMCIA card, I'm going to sell it, then buy the internal miniPCI card and just put the antenna under the keyboard. I hear people have gotten pretty decent results by just doing that.

chosn1

15-02-2006 12:29:03

no need to post entire email - jake said he's ordering external pcmcia cards and that he'll email us tracking #'s when they are available

Jake

15-02-2006 12:40:20

Order placed.

phunkstar

15-02-2006 15:57:26

For those of us finishing PC's in the next week or so

Are upcoming V2000's going to ship without WiFi as well?

Jake

16-02-2006 06:20:54

[quote4691d4cca8="phunkstar"]For those of us finishing PC's in the next week or so

Are upcoming V2000's going to ship without WiFi as well?[/quote4691d4cca8]

No. I made the mistake of not specifying WiFi when placing the orders those times and I take full responsibility for it. In the end, I did what I could to rectify the error.

I can also assure you that it will not happen again.

chosn1

17-02-2006 09:55:44

Recieved my external PCMCIA card today - it was a high quality Netgear one so Jake as always you're the man