Connections overcharged me

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=28937

unknown uchiha

22-12-2005 14:06:05

So I decided to try the Wal-Mart Gift Card offer with the "Connections" program. After a week I didn't like the 'benefits' that I recieved so I called to tell them to discontinue my membership. The guy on the line for some reason immediately knew who I was and terminated my account and gauranteed that I was not going to be billed and gave me a cancellation number. Then today I check my bank statement and it says they have charged me $19.95, which had to be overdrafted from my Savings account totaling about $29.95. Did anybody else have billing difficulties with Connections? I did this for PS3s.Freepay btw

Airkat

22-12-2005 14:08:47

he probably either just told u that for the hell of it (did you get a confirmation #, or an email? I did) or confused you with another customer.

unknown uchiha

22-12-2005 14:10:40

He said that I was not going to recieve an email, that was pretty shady of him to do so too.

Airkat

22-12-2005 14:29:43

Yeah, you got had )

Veek

22-12-2005 14:30:19

This happened to two of my friends. Call them back and get a charge back. Then call your bank and explained what happened. They'll remove the overdraft charge.

unknown uchiha

22-12-2005 14:32:11

Okay, thanks =D

crazyates

22-12-2005 14:45:19

the same thing happened to me, but i thought it was something else. when i signed up, i registered for the card....but then it came up with another page saying it was "confirming my account". i entered all my info back in(took 10 sec to do so)...and then continued on my way. apparently i didn't know it but i signed up for two different companies. i got two different emails, one from "galleria" and another from "connections" both confirming my account with them. the emails looked identical, i got them from the same time, but one was for the wal-mart gift card, and the other was for kmart (i know...wtf). granted ur prob not thinking i'm the smartest person right now, accidentally signing up for two offers...but i didn't mean to. anyways, like u i didn't like thier "services, and keeping a $15 a month membership to get a $25 gift certificate didn't sound that great to me, so i canceled. the problem was, i had to cancel both accounts. i canceled one, but then i had to treat the other emal as an entirely different offer. anyways, when i got my billing info back, i had two charges, one of $1 (which is what they advertise), and another for $20 (which was the membership price of the offer i didn't mean to sign up for). I'd say be careful when u call either them or ur bank, cuz i knew i had no chance of getting my money back, but if u didn't sign up for the other one they i guess ur better off than i was.

unknown uchiha

22-12-2005 14:49:22

Oh, "Connections" was the one that charged me. And I only got one confirmation email =D. Sucks what happened to you, I think you should have filed a dispute and stuff. Same thing happened with me and the BargainNetwork, they gave me a chargeback after I complained.

crazyates

22-12-2005 18:57:26

really? huh...i don't know if i can do that cuz i actually DID sign up for it, and it's not like they just charged a random $20 for no reason. oh well...i'll look into it. thanks.

nickman

23-12-2005 20:39:41

I signed up for the $25 walmart gift card or whatever, and they wanted to charge me from two places, "Galleria" and "Connections", one for $14.95 and one for $19.95. My paypal debit card didn't have enough money in it though, so the fees were never charged. I eventually called both places (run by the same company) on a Sunday night to terminate my membership, and it was an automated process. All I had to do was enter my account number and zip code and it was fairly easy.

thehacker010

23-12-2005 21:01:53

I got charged twice by them. I called the CC company and they reversed the bills after I sent an email showing that I called Connections before they charged me....

theysayjump

24-12-2005 00:06:57

I'm pretty sure that when you do a Connections offer, after you complete it, it takes you to another page and asks you if you would like to try another of their offers and asks for your information. If you do so, then you sign up for a completely different offer, but from the same company.

If after you have submitted for the 1st offer, you just close the page or go to wherever it wants to take you, without entering any information, then you will be fine.

Drummer16161616

24-12-2005 00:54:01

[quotecd4b9b4d31="theysayjump"]I'm pretty sure that when you do a Connections offer, after you complete it, it takes you to another page and asks you if you would like to try another of their offers and asks for your information. If you do so, then you sign up for a completely different offer, but from the same company.

If after you have submitted for the 1st offer, you just close the page or go to wherever it wants to take you, without entering any information, then you will be fine.[/quotecd4b9b4d31]

Yes, this got me because this was the first offer that I ever did. However, I noticed that one of the emails said galleria and one said connections (with different membership ids) so I knew I had two seperate accounts. They are quite sneaky ;)

theysayjump

24-12-2005 01:08:34

Yes they are.

As are Paycom offers (freebidding, driving4dollars, cruising4cash etc) because when you sign up for one of their offers and you hit submit, after it shows you your confirmation page for 10 seconds and then redirects ( roll ), it shows you a very very similar page for another of their offers and appears to be the same page.

Some people may think it didn't work and they put their information in again, only to end up with 2 accounts to 2 different sites.

I make sure that when I get that second page, I scroll down and uncheck everything, make sure there is no information inserted in any of the fields and then click on the link button to the site I initially signed up for.

mpbollywoodking

24-12-2005 05:40:34

ya, i got the Kmart thing after i did the Walmart thing. It's very confusing, so i just closed the window

crazyates

24-12-2005 08:49:21

[quotedd3fe9164f="mpbollywoodking"]ya, i got the Kmart thing after i did the Walmart thing. It's very confusing, so i just closed the window[/quotedd3fe9164f]

that's what i got too. unfortunately, i didn't close the window, so i ended up with two seperate trial offers with the same company. i canceled them both, but can i challenge the second charge to my card? i'm a little confused, but since i did sign up, i'm not sure i could have my charge taken away.

theysayjump

24-12-2005 15:34:29

If you paid for both offers, then there is nothing for you to contest. It's just the way they present both offers and it's very misleading, especially for newbies.

You can try, it won't do any harm, but I doubt it would/will get you anywhere.

unknown uchiha

25-12-2005 21:40:28

Yeah, I read the pages carefully and stuff.

Anyways, I got it all resolved. I called Connections and explained to them what had happened. The rep was really friendly and we socialized a bit on the weather and stuff lol. I'm getting a charge back which should be done tomorrow.

crazyates

03-01-2006 08:31:43

i just got my credit card statement for this month, and it looks like they charged my credit card another $20 this month too! i know i canceled BOTH accounts, so i don't know where this charge came from. i know i'm canceled, so i'm gonna have to call them up and have it reversed. this really sucks b/c i don't see how they can credit my card, and i wish i could just cancel and have them off my back. anyone think i can still get my money back and have the charge reversed?

chazmann

03-01-2006 12:30:45

I hope you get it worked out.

But that's where the beauty of giftcards come in. If it only has 20 bucks...and they try to scam you and charge you more, they CANT.

I love it.

d3athtonic

06-01-2006 21:01:41

Yeah! Get some giftcards like simon giftcards. They work just like a prepaid debit card. I got away with so many scams and overcharges with them.

For certain companies such as stamps.com in which cancellation is such a hassle, I just don't even bother to.