ps3 proposal

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=28099

priggy

07-12-2005 19:53:47

In order to compete with sites like trainn which offer cash/giftcards as an alternative to the xbox (and almost definitely will do the same fo the ps3) I think freepay should do something like this I understand that they don't want to offer a straight giftcard option, but what if they were to say, at least for people who are completing it now, "We will guarantee a ps3 within x weeks (say 2-3) and if we can't get them in by then you can either continue to wait in the queue or we will send you a giftcard/paypal for the amount." Obviously once more people start completing the site they will have to push back the date for them, but for those of us completing it months in advance I think this is reasonable.

I know they don't necessarily pay retail for the consoles, but they can't pay much less for a brand new item at launch. Even if they were to send out a giftcard for whatever their cost is, like 370 or whatever for the 400 dollar console, I think that would be much better for most people than waiting indefinitely.

Is something like this a possibility?

h3x

07-12-2005 20:42:44

Sounds reasonable.. But will they actually do that? No chance.

exclusiv

08-12-2005 08:35:23

yeah i dont see why not, there is basically no markup on xbox 360s and ps3s

justinag06

08-12-2005 14:57:09

They won't ever do that. They are buying in bulk, so sending out paypal/cash costs them more money. Also remember you would lose a bit on fees. Most importantly they aren't obligated to do this so why do they want to bother with it?

There are a ton more people than us doing freepay sites and they dont have to time to deal with sending out paypal to thousands of people.

Just realize you won't get it for 2 months and you don't care anymore.

shortys408

08-12-2005 15:14:48

2 more months? they said january which is 1 month.

exclusiv

08-12-2005 17:53:37

[quote1e86b4f080="justinag06"]They won't ever do that. They are buying in bulk, so sending out paypal/cash costs them more money. Also remember you would lose a bit on fees. Most importantly they aren't obligated to do this so why do they want to bother with it?

There are a ton more people than us doing freepay sites and they dont have to time to deal with sending out paypal to thousands of people.

Just realize you won't get it for 2 months and you don't care anymore.[/quote1e86b4f080]

buying in bulk does not mean anything with consoles

manufacturers lose money on the consoles

there is little to no markup between wholesale price and retail price. I used to have a large distributor (D&H) that supplied video games and consoles, among other things. Say retail is $199.95, distributor price would be like $194.95 to me. If I sold at retail I would lose money because of the tiny markup and added shipping/packaging costs. I don't know the volume Freepay is doing, but I can assure you the markup on consoles is still little to none.

and sending out xbox 360s or ps3s costs more money than paypal? how do you know this? they pay a fulfillment company in michigan to package. the actual shipping costs money too. they could also adjust the paypal payout accordingly anyway.

having all the advertiser money for months (maybe a year) has its benefits though

-they can earn a small return on the advertiser revenue
-improves total cash, making Freepay look stronger (esp if they are looking to raise any new capital) and allows for added stability. you can't stay in business without cash.

also, the ps3 site probably isn't being started by random internet peeps yet (the ones that won't finish the site... the profitable ones). so yeah, you aren't going to get any paypal, but there is no reason they couldn't add that as an option if the xbox 360s or ps3s were in fact available right now.

justinag06

09-12-2005 10:53:50

also remember they are marketing towards consumers, didn't we all find freeipods.com then find this forum? At one point we were just a doe eyed consumer.

Point im trying to make is it looks more enticing to offer a gift than cash.

justinag06

09-12-2005 10:55:44

[quote8fe814f0c6="shortys408"]2 more months? they said january which is 1 month.[/quote8fe814f0c6]

thats why you say two months so when january rolls around and you were last on the list and dont get it till februrary you aren't upset. If you do get it in january than its just like a little surprise

JOSHBOX

09-12-2005 22:03:25

Even if they buy in bulk they are still paying 399 per xbox 360. That is THE cost. Even huge retailers get their 360's for about 397-399. There is literally 0 markup.

JerriBlank

09-12-2005 22:45:23

[quoteadb5e52831="exclusiv"]yeah i dont see why not, there is basically no markup on xbox 360s and ps3s[/quoteadb5e52831]

Not true for the 360. I ran across a site the other day that was selling them in bulk for about $250 each.

jb