Very stupid question

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=2752

MusicMan

04-11-2004 20:29:28

I know this is a stupid question. If you're running your iPod through your computer/USB port, you're still draining the battery, correct? Well, not so much draining, but possibly charging the unit beyond its full charge capacity...effectively depleting its life span? Is this correct?

Flyinace2000

04-11-2004 20:35:03

It should (like most other modern electronics) have over charge protection.

shifuimam

04-11-2004 22:12:08

I've heard that it's not a good idea to leave iPods charging after the battery is fully charged, but I don't know if that only applied to, say, 1G and 2G iPods...

Ray_Haque

05-11-2004 05:24:22

Lithium batteries, in general, cannot be overcharged.

If overcharged, they could overheat and explode. The chemicals released would feel like napalm on your skin, and water wouldn't put out the burning sensation. This is why all lithium batteries contain a circuit that will cut power from the battery once it has been fully charged. It will also cut power if the battery begins to run hot for any reason.

-Ray

MusicMan

05-11-2004 05:38:05

All very promising responses. From the sounds of it, there really isn't much harm in leaving your iPod connected to your PC, and running off from that. Good to know!

shifuimam

05-11-2004 07:21:59

[quote7515d9ba4b="Ray_Haque"]Lithium batteries, in general, cannot be overcharged.

If overcharged, they could overheat and explode. The chemicals released would feel like napalm on your skin, and water wouldn't put out the burning sensation. This is why all lithium batteries contain a circuit that will cut power from the battery once it has been fully charged. It will also cut power if the battery begins to run hot for any reason.

-Ray[/quote7515d9ba4b]

I did not know that! Thanks for the info.

+karma to you. )

magik

05-11-2004 16:05:46

[quotec1e46230df="Ray_Haque"]Lithium batteries, in general, cannot be overcharged.

-Ray[/quotec1e46230df]

Excellent response, very helpful. Good stuff meng! +karma

MusicMan

05-11-2004 17:39:25

Okay, now what about this question? Does an iPod's battery get depleted when used through a stereo, or does it charge?