best skins for the lowest price

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=2565

hilarios

01-11-2004 09:04:08

I want to get a skin, but I really dont want to pay that much. I have been looking at

http//202.153.110.46/Xskn/index.asp

anyone try them?
any other places you suggest?

thanks!

Randyspawn

01-11-2004 10:34:09

These guys, without a doubt, make the best case for the money, if not the best case period. I ordered an exo3x with an ishade and a clip from them for less than I would have paid for any other ipod case alone. Their customer service is really great too, as long as you have the patience to work around their poor english. I mentioned that my ishade got folded in the mail and they immediately gave me credit for it and for shipping another order.

You can get a free case from them too
Click on the Lajo logo in the upper left hand corner of the banner at the top of the page and then enter "5and5off" in the box that says "enter your friend's key" follow the prompts, and you'll get a free belt zip case.

shifuimam

01-11-2004 12:19:41

Lajo is actually made by a guy who helped create the original iSkin, so they are very similar.

I was thinking about a Lajo, but then realized that you have to buy the belt clip and the screen protector separately. It ends up costing just as much to get an iSkin - and they have fully removable belt clips with no knobbly thing in the back!

The biggest difference is that the iSkin provides 360-degree protection, save the click wheel, hold switch, and headphone/remote port. There's even a little flap to cover up the docking port, and the skin is flexible enough to pull off at the bottom (through the click wheel hole) to use in the dock. It also comes with a plastic LCD protector that doesn't move (it has non-skid rubber knobs on the underside that keep it from moving while not damaging your iPod) and a belt clip.

Lajo has some more colors and options, but I'm going with the iSkin because of the protection factor.

tishykb

01-11-2004 14:24:28

hey thanks for the tip-- got me a skin and that case for $20. NICE. Bet i'll get it before my Ipod too.

PallarAndersVisa

01-11-2004 14:45:14

i ordered my ghost iskin last week. came in today. rules. I dont care how much it was, I needed something other than a guitar polishing cloth to carry my ipod around in

r2d2_unit

01-11-2004 16:16:01

i was thinking about getting one of those ghost cases, it glows blu, right?

Randyspawn

01-11-2004 21:52:27

Why are people buying the iskin? It doesn't cover the wheel, you have to pull it out of the click wheel opening to dock, and it's only available as a thick 2mm case, which is too thick for me I think. There's also only one belt clip available while lajo cases have 4 different options and an arm band coming out soon. The lajo is cheaper too, even with a bunch of the accessories. Am I missing something here?

shifuimam

01-11-2004 22:06:11

The Lajo + belt clip + screen protector costs just about as much as the iSkin. Lajo plus accessories costs between $27.50 and $31.50, so you're paying just as much as you would for the iSkin.

Like I said in my above post, I kinda like the 360-degree protection thing. The click wheel among every other part of the ipod is the LEAST likely to get scratched. I don't have a dock and don't plan on getting one, so I'd rather have the protected docking port flippy thing than have ot lift up the entire bottom of the case.

Plus, if you didn't look carefully, the only cases that support the screen protector and the SwvClip (which is most like the iSkin's RevoClip) are 2.0mm thick. The only benefits are a flip-up (dock friendly) bottom and a covered scroll wheel.

Lajo does have the super thin case (0.7mm thick), but it doesn't support the screen protector or the belt clip, and there are NO ventilation holes on the backside (which ultimately is bad for the iPod's hard drive).

It's all a matter of preference and purpose, I guess.

PallarAndersVisa

01-11-2004 22:22:07

i got the iskin for portability and protection. 2 mm, oh no, my pocket is gonna bulge!

and yeah r2, it glows blue. its pretty cool, but it doesnt glow as much as I would have though. If i could order it again I would have gotten black.

Randyspawn

02-11-2004 10:21:17

[quote9392760cfd="shifuimam"]The Lajo + belt clip + screen protector costs just about as much as the iSkin. Lajo plus accessories costs between $27.50 and $31.50, so you're paying just as much as you would for the iSkin.

Like I said in my above post, I kinda like the 360-degree protection thing. The click wheel among every other part of the ipod is the LEAST likely to get scratched. I don't have a dock and don't plan on getting one, so I'd rather have the protected docking port flippy thing than have ot lift up the entire bottom of the case.

Plus, if you didn't look carefully, the only cases that support the screen protector and the SwvClip (which is most like the iSkin's RevoClip) are 2.0mm thick. The only benefits are a flip-up (dock friendly) bottom and a covered scroll wheel.

Lajo does have the super thin case (0.7mm thick), but it doesn't support the screen protector or the belt clip, and there are NO ventilation holes on the backside (which ultimately is bad for the iPod's hard drive).

It's all a matter of preference and purpose, I guess.[/quote9392760cfd]

Thanks for deciphering Lajo's site. I would have thought that the wheel would be the easiest part of the iPod to actually damage though. It may not scratch easily, but it is a touch sensitive membrane with mechanical parts beneath it so I would think it makes a lot of sense to cover it up. What do you mean by 360 degree protection on the iskin though?

shifuimam

02-11-2004 10:36:57

The wheel is made of similar technology used in touchpads on laptops - I would imagine it can withstand a decent amount of wear and tear. If it was so delicate that it could break easily, do you really think they'd use it in the iPod?

If you look at the pictures on the iSkin website, the ONLY part of the iPod that is not protected by the skin is the touch wheel, the hold switch, and the headphone/remote port. The biggest thing that sold me on the iSkin is that there is a little flappy cover that protects the docking port. The Lajo flip cases do this, but then you have to flip up the whole bottom of the case to access the docking port - I just want to be able to access the port and nothing else.

I don't believe that the Lajo cases protect the top of the iPod - I think the iSkin is currently the only silicone case on the market that does this. If you're truly concerned about protecting the scroll wheel, get a PoDonut thingy to cover it.

Also, the iSkin has an improved screen protector that doesn't actually come into contact with the LCD of the iPod, so it keeps it looking nice. I'm not sure how the Lajo protectors look, so I can't tell you much about theirs...

If you do decide to get a Lajo case, I would recommend getting one of the flip ones. You'll never forgive yourself if something happens to the docking port and it quits working, because then you've just ruined the ability to get songs on or off your iPod!

PallarAndersVisa

02-11-2004 12:42:16

[quote2c9ae003bf="PallarAndersVisa"]i got the iskin for portability and protection. 2 mm, oh no, my pocket is gonna bulge!

and yeah r2, it glows blue. its pretty cool, but it doesnt glow as much as I would have though. If i could order it again I would have gotten black.[/quote2c9ae003bf]

correction . I had my ipod in the car for a while today and when I took it inside it glowed like hell! it rules!

Randyspawn

02-11-2004 22:59:54

[quote511f52e715="shifuimam"]The wheel is made of similar technology used in touchpads on laptops - I would imagine it can withstand a decent amount of wear and tear. If it was so delicate that it could break easily, do you really think they'd use it in the iPod?[/quote511f52e715]

Well, the fact that it is basically the same technology used in touchpads is exactly what scares me, because touchpads don't ever run the risk of getting keys jabbed into them while they float around in your pocket. Considering the metal back and all, however, I think you have a good point about apple not putting anything too delicate in the ipod.

[quote511f52e715="shifuimam"]
I don't believe that the Lajo cases protect the top of the iPod - I think the iSkin is currently the only silicone case on the market that does this. If you're truly concerned about protecting the scroll wheel, get a PoDonut thingy to cover it.
[/quote511f52e715]

The lajo case definitely protects the top of the pod. Every lajo I've seen does. The PoDonut, unfortunately, still leaves the center of the wheel uncovered, which I think is really stupid considering how its $10 for a tiny peice of plastic.

My conclusion so far
Either iskin needs to make a case that covers the wheel or Lajo has to make one with a docking port flap. Also, iskin's scren protector sounds slightly better, although I've heard nothing but compliments about Lajo's screen protectors except from people trying to use them with the .7 mm exo3 cases.

r2d2_unit

03-11-2004 00:27:23

[quote02e772fe38="PallarAndersVisa"][quote02e772fe38="PallarAndersVisa"]i got the iskin for portability and protection. 2 mm, oh no, my pocket is gonna bulge!

and yeah r2, it glows blue. its pretty cool, but it doesnt glow as much as I would have though. If i could order it again I would have gotten black.[/quote02e772fe38]

correction . I had my ipod in the car for a while today and when I took it inside it glowed like hell! it rules![/quote02e772fe38]

my suggestion is to get yourself a blacklight to charge up the photosensetive shit, now i know i'm gonna have to get one of those cases! congrats on getting your freeipod BTW, i have ants in my pants waiting for mine, though i should prolly relax cause it wont be here for a long while

jadem

03-11-2004 07:25:12

[quote0f7ad5c07e="shifuimam"]It also comes with a plastic LCD protector that doesn't move (it has non-skid rubber knobs on the underside that keep it from moving while not damaging your iPod) and a belt clip.[/quote0f7ad5c07e]

Well, it doesn't move unless your cat jumps on top of your dresser at 4am because it's glowing and he's curious enough to bat at it a bit. roll Luckily for him, he didn't do any damage. twisted

Oldfashionedhussy

03-11-2004 16:34:54

hehehe awe... kitty

I love this thread. I've been e-windowshopping for skins for the last couple of weeks, and I'm also torn between the iskins and the lajo cases. I just wish i could get a vented lajo without that knobby thing in the back. Do they have that? At least I didn't see that option...

yiluncn

03-11-2004 17:39:13

I bought the eXo2fb 4g Original Ice from them, it came from hongkong after 4 days .andurl==http://=http:///url it was great, it fits perfectly and looks nice on my free ipod~!!!

hilarios

03-11-2004 17:45:45

can someone tell me if the exo3xo 4g has a covered or not covered scroll wheel? (it doesnt say on the site)

thanks!
megan

mtbaird5687

03-11-2004 18:18:27

whats the material this is made out of

mtbaird5687

03-11-2004 18:24:04

[quotebdac0a6d01="Oldfashionedhussy"]hehehe awe... kitty

I love this thread. I've been e-windowshopping for skins for the last couple of weeks, and I'm also torn between the iskins and the lajo cases. I just wish i could get a vented lajo without that knobby thing in the back. Do they have that? At least I didn't see that option...[/quotebdac0a6d01]

yah id like to know also. i may buy one of these

Oldfashionedhussy

03-11-2004 18:38:40

[quotedd2b11e058="hilarios"]can someone tell me if the exo3xo 4g has a covered or not covered scroll wheel? (it doesnt say on the site)

thanks!
megan[/quotedd2b11e058]

http//202.153.110.46/Xskn/index.asp go by the guide. I believed it is covered

hilarios

03-11-2004 20:11:35

no. see what you didnt understand that under that specific column there is no box for either covered or not covered.

Oldfashionedhussy

03-11-2004 20:21:27

oopsie, sorry, I was looking at wrong one. hmmm.. there's a forum section where it says "contact us"-online help. i guess you can ask there ?