Buzzzzzz....

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=2525

shifuimam

31-10-2004 01:36:26

I have a question that maybe someone has solved by now.

Freakin' car chargers with audio out (e.g. the iMount dock from Seidio and the Belkin charger/line-out dealy all buzz horrendously.

It appears that charging via the docking port creates some sort of interference with my speakers. It's worse with the dock than with the Belkin thing, and they're both worse in my car (94 Nissan Maxima) than my boyfriend's (04 Subaru Forester).

I installed my CD player myself and I'm using the aux-in with a regular stereo minijack (1/8") cable. Any ideas? I can remove the fuse from the dock, so I have the nice look and easy access without the remarkably obnoxious white noise, but then it drains my iPod battery and I can't leave the LCD on (nice at nighttime, obviously).

Ideas?

shifuimam

31-10-2004 01:45:08

K so like fourteen seconds later I found some info on iPodLounge.com and apparently should try something like this

http//www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=270-054

I'm going to go buy one and see how it works...I'd imagine other people have (or will have once they get their iPods!) this problem...so I hope it fixes it.

Flyinace2000

31-10-2004 05:51:50

[quote9de44570fa="shifuimam"]K so like fourteen seconds later I found some info on iPodLounge.com and apparently should try something like this

http//www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=270-054

I'm going to go buy one and see how it works...I'd imagine other people have (or will have once they get their iPods!) this problem...so I hope it fixes it.[/quote9de44570fa]

Yeah i work at RadioShack and was gonna recommend that.

Rainman

31-10-2004 07:44:10

That might help but it probably wont do much. I install car audio stuff all day and we've had so many of these things come in with engine noise, or the buzzing that your describing. The bst way to do it would be to install an FM modulator.

tyketto

31-10-2004 07:52:46

I've read that people have had good luck with that item from Radio Shack. Let us know how it works... I'm considering the Belkin adapter for my car and will probably have the noise problem too.

shifuimam

31-10-2004 09:40:32

[quote31a983088b="Rainman"]That might help but it probably wont do much. I install car audio stuff all day and we've had so many of these things come in with engine noise, or the buzzing that your describing. The bst way to do it would be to install an FM modulator.[/quote31a983088b]

...Except that FM modulators have shitty sound quality, it's impossible to find a good frequency in a large city where most are already being used by broadcast radio, and I installed this CD player and gave up my beloved Pioneer for the sole purpose of connecting my iPod.

Thanks, though. roll

shifuimam

31-10-2004 14:11:07

Update...

Definitely didn't work. I ended up returning it right after I bought it, because it made ZERO difference. I do think, though, that the ground line interference problem isn't as loud when the iPod is fully charged - could be because the dock then isn't charging the battery; it's just running power to the iPod. Maybe it was just a fluke.

My only suggestion at this point is if the buzzing is too annoying, take the fuse out of the adapter. Some adapters, like the Seidio iMount dock I was using, don't need the cigarette lighter fuse to push audio through the line-out. Removing the fuse keeps power from running to the iPod to charge the battery, which eliminates the buzz. In my case, the dock also lets me have the iPod controls at a nice angle, and it reduces the clutter and whatnot, so not charging just kinda sucks but isn't the end of the world.

If anyone finds another solution, plz post here.