Multiple accounts from same IP = hold?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=22122

henryaj

16-09-2005 09:45:32

Hi all. I'm new here, so let me know if I'm violating any rules or anything!

I just wanted to ask, if someone else signs up using the same IP as you (same house, school, library, internet café etc.) then is your account eligible to be put on hold? Also, if your account is going to be put on hold is there any way of seeing this? I don't really want to pay for trades etc. if it's all for nothing.

Thanks for all your help!

rkjohnson2

16-09-2005 10:14:13

[quote556f971c7a="henryaj"]Hi all. I'm new here, so let me know if I'm violating any rules or anything!

I just wanted to ask, if someone else signs up using the same IP as you (same house, school, library, internet café etc.) then is your account eligible to be put on hold? Also, if your account is going to be put on hold is there any way of seeing this? I don't really want to pay for trades etc. if it's all for nothing.

Thanks for all your help![/quote556f971c7a]

Usually you won't be put on hold until you submit your account for approval. You can see it in the status window.

mpbollywoodking

16-09-2005 10:14:46

if you are put on hold, you will know because it will say that in your Status

You will get your account on hold if somebody else makes an account in your house, so Gratis may get suspicious and think that you are making an account so that you can get referrals for yourself.

It's always better to let Customer Service know so they know before it's too late. But than again, i may be wrong

Zanadoo

16-09-2005 10:26:05

I created two accounts on the same IP address with the same info accidently and I just sent in a support ticket and Gratis helped fix it, so just send in a support ticket and you can work your way thru it.

henryaj

16-09-2005 11:03:12

OK, what about if a friend signs up as a referral using the same IP as you did to sign up, and they then complete an offer? Would I still be put on hold despite their application being legitimate? How would FreePay determine which applications were legit and which were bogus in this case?

theysayjump

16-09-2005 11:28:38

you can only have 1 account per household.

if you get someone else to sign up at the same place you signed up, then yes, you will get your account put on hold. theres no maybe about it, you will get your account put on hold.

rkjohnson2

16-09-2005 11:42:36

[quotec1bcd2bfcf="theysayjump"]you can only have 1 account per household.

if you get someone else to sign up at the same place you signed up, then yes, you will get your account put on hold. theres no maybe about it, you will get your account put on hold.[/quotec1bcd2bfcf]

That seems like a pretty loose interpretation of the word 'household'... I was under the impression that part of their TOS was more along the lines of only shipping one item to one house, i.e. only one person residing in the house could receive a free gift.

theysayjump

16-09-2005 11:48:04

yeah thats what i said.

only one person can receive an item in each household.

if you have someone else sign up from your house then what does that look? yeah it looks like you have more than one person in your household trying to get free gifts.

henryaj

16-09-2005 12:04:43

I'm sorry, I don't think I'm making myself clear - they are are friend of mine, and do not live in the same house as me - all their details are unique, except that they registered in my house, using my IP. Will I get put on hold for that? I have not violated any of the Terms of Service as far as I know.

Skeeter

16-09-2005 12:31:46

[quote48f8cffe9e="henryaj"]I'm sorry, I don't think I'm making myself clear - they are are friend of mine, and do not live in the same house as me - all their details are unique, except that they registered in my house, using my IP. Will I get put on hold for that? I have not violated any of the Terms of Service as far as I know.[/quote48f8cffe9e]

You will be put on "HOLD" doesn't matter if they are friends of yours. Same IP, AOL, public internet access points, colleges, schools and basically anything through PROXY type IP address will be put on HOLD.
Don't take the chance.

henryaj

16-09-2005 15:44:42

So what, that's it? I'm just permanently screwed now?

theysayjump

16-09-2005 16:16:54

by the looks of it yes. but youd be better asking Jake or opening a support ticket and asking them yourself, as opposed to relying on our answers.

your supposed to read the rules/TOS before you do any of this, and if you had, then you would know not to have had your friend sign up at your house.

henryaj

16-09-2005 16:23:09

Forgive me, but I can't see anything in the TOS that prevents friends from signing up using the same IP as you.

Tholek

16-09-2005 16:30:58

Trust us, you're screwed.

tpham2006

16-09-2005 16:50:59

[quote362f779649="henryaj"]Forgive me, but I can't see anything in the TOS that prevents friends from signing up using the same IP as you.[/quote362f779649]

If we can do that, I can have 50 "friends" sign up for my site and I will be done with every site in 3 minutes

theysayjump

16-09-2005 21:53:03

like Tholek said, trust us. We've been around for a while, we know how the sites work, and you will get your account put on hold if you have someone else sign up from the same IP.

If you want to go ahead and get him to sign up at your house, then go for it, but dont complain to us when your account gets put on hold.
[quote61aab03463]
2. Accounts.

(a) Individual users may not create multiple accounts within our point-based sites. If you are a member of one point-based site, then you are automatically a member of all other points-based sites, and may login with the same user name and password as well as earn and spend points among all point-based sites. However, users are allowed to create a unique account with each referral-based site, as all of these sites are not linked together. [b61aab03463]Users are not allowed to have multiple accounts within a single referral-based site. All multiple accounts found to be fraudulent or which violate these Terms and Conditions will be placed on hold.[/b61aab03463]

(b) Only one account is allowed per shipping address. We do this to ensure quality leads for our advertisers. Since we are 100% advertiser supported, we cannot afford to support multiple accounts at the same shipping address. If there is more than one user at a shipping address, we suggest that they share an account. All accounts which are found to contain shared shipping addresses will be placed on hold. [/quote61aab03463]

Crosswire3

16-09-2005 22:36:23

I had my dad sign up at my house a while ago...same IP...different details including shipping address and credit card. I PM'd Jake and he told me that as long as the accounts were (TRUELY UNIQUE)...for different people at different addresses I was in the clear. I know that the same IP may make it look suspicious, but if you have a valid explanation and your accounts don't scream "same person" than I think you should be ok.

henryaj

17-09-2005 01:27:43

Just to be totally clear, the reason why I was asking in the first place is because I already had someone sign up using the same IP as me and wanted to see if it was kosher - I wan't disagreeing with or disregarding your valuable advice! I must say, I still don't think it's clear in the TOS. So it says that you cannot have multiple accounts per household, but that does leave room for interpretation Does it mean only one account with your address on it or only one account may be registered per physical IP? And it ignores the fact that many people use dialup and will be 're-using' someone else's IP.

Anyway, thank you for all your help.